Portfolioslicer (Automated Excel portfolio tracker)
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Portfolioslicer (Automated Excel portfolio tracker)

Portfolioslicer (Automated Excel portfolio tracker)

http://portfolioslicer.com

Discovered this workbook today... anyone use it ? It look very nice !

I currently use Quicken but portfolioslicer seem much more complete.

My portfolio: VCN, VUN, VIU, VEE, HBB, ZRE

Quote Originally Posted by larry81 View Post
    http://portfolioslicer.com

Discovered this workbook today... anyone use it ? It look very nice !

I currently use Quicken but portfolioslicer seem much more complete.
    It is nice but I don't like that it seems to require the central server for the core data. Fine that it's free and around, but are you only planning to track investments this year? I'm wondering and worried about 5-20 years down the road!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn View Post
    It is nice but I don't like that it seems to require the central server for the core data. Fine that it's free and around, but are you only planning to track investments this year? I'm wondering and worried about 5-20 years down the road!
    Central server is only to pull stock quotes, but yes your concern is valid.

Too bad Excel stock quote integration is piss poor.

Google spreadsheet googlefinance() function is magical !

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

When you want to do your investment tracking - first thing you need is a list of your transactions. And full list of transactions includes deposits, dividend payments, etc. To enter all these transactions is not an easy task. With Portfolio Slicer you will start building your transaction history in Excel and if later better products will be released or something happens to Portfolio Slicer, you will be able easily transform those records into different format.
    Portfolio Slicer supports many more stocks than google finance and it can produce much more advanced reports that you could with google spreadsheet.

Disclosure - I am owner of Portfolio Slicer.
    Free investment tracking in Excel: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by vidm View Post
    When you want to do your investment tracking - first thing you need is a list of your transactions. And full list of transactions includes deposits, dividend payments, etc. To enter all these transactions is not an easy task. With Portfolio Slicer you will start building your transaction history in Excel and if later better products will be released or something happens to Portfolio Slicer, you will be able easily transform those records into different format.
    Portfolio Slicer supports many more stocks than google finance and it can produce much more advanced reports that you could with google spreadsheet.

Disclosure - I am owner of Portfolio Slicer.
    i would love to try, i use google sheets and finance and can get some excellent basic information (it leaves out dividend yields as an example of where it fails, though you can do a workaround)

unfortunately, i use a mac, do you plan on releasing a mac compatible version ?

i find excel 2011 just to much work to bring in stock quotes though i have been able to do it

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    i would love to try, i use google sheets and finance and can get some excellent basic information (it leaves out dividend yields as an example of where it fails, though you can do a workaround)

unfortunately, i use a mac, do you plan on releasing a mac compatible version ?

i find excel 2011 just to much work to bring in stock quotes though i have been able to do it
    Portfolio Slicer does not work with MAC because MAC version of Excel does not support PowerPivot - engine that is used for all calculations. So it is really out of my hands - but I do hope that Microsoft will include PowerPivot support in next version of Excel for Mac.

vidm, i didnt know you posted on this forum

Could you explain how a "Norbert Gambit" transaction should be handled with Portfolio Slicer ? I have a hard time figuring how to enter the pair of transactions without breaking everything !

Quote Originally Posted by larry81 View Post
    vidm, i didnt know you posted on this forum

Could you explain how a "Norbert Gambit" transaction should be handled with Portfolio Slicer ? I have a hard time figuring how to enter the pair of transactions without breaking everything !
    Hi Larry,

I added FAQ entry on how to enter Norbert's Gambit transactions into Portfolio Slicer: http://portfolioslicer.com/Support/FAQ#norbert
    If you have any problems - please do not hesitate to ask!

I don't normally keep track of cash in or out... excluding tracking of Dividends, will portfolio slicer have any hiccups if deposits or withdrawals are completely omitted?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn View Post
    I don't normally keep track of cash in or out... excluding tracking of Dividends, will portfolio slicer have any hiccups if deposits or withdrawals are completely omitted?
    Hi Kaitlyn,

Portfolio Slicer has special transaction types that are designated to deal with "cashless" portfolios:

Buy+Deposit
    Div+Withdraw
    DivTA+Withdraw
    Sell+Withdraw

These transactions assume that you deposit or withdraw cash amount that is equal to total transaction impact to cash. Using these transaction types will make Portfolio Slicer work without tracking cash.
    Just a note - I have not done as extensive testing of these transaction types, but if you will encounter any problem, I'll do my best to resolve it ASAP.

Regards,

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast