Portfolioslicer (Automated Excel portfolio tracker) - Page 9
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Portfolioslicer (Automated Excel portfolio tracker)

Quote Originally Posted by GGO View Post
    Thanks very much. I spent some time last night to go through the steps. Got most working but today I can't seem to refresh/update as I always get user name/password error when I try to refresh data in power pivot table. Not sure why as it seems to work yesterday. Also got warning about 32 bit version of Excel 2010 which is the one I'm using.
    Regarding username /password error.
    As on the same PC you were able update yesterday, I have to assume that your PC is setup correctly and you have SQL Server Native Client installed.
    Second most common reason for this error - when you are running some firewall on your PC, strange thing is that in such case I have to assume you had firewall yesterday and it worked.
    I had users reported same issue, and then reported back that they had this issue when they run VPN on their PC. Maybe that is your case?

If you still experience this issue, please let me know, I'll post what you should do next.

Free investment tracking in Excel: Hidden Content

vidm it would be nice if the CAD-USD exchange rate could be updated during the day. As someone who happens to look at his portfolio in the AM and PM, it would be nice for the exchange rate to update automatically as the rate change. At the end of the day you could simply refresh with the end-of-the-day value.

portfolioslicer is the best thing since sliced bread ! It replaced my quicken entirely.
    My portfolio: VCN, VUN, VIU, VEE, HBB, ZRE

Quote Originally Posted by larry81 View Post
    vidm it would be nice if the CAD-USD exchange rate could be updated during the day. As someone who happens to look at his portfolio in the AM and PM, it would be nice for the exchange rate to update automatically as the rate change. At the end of the day you could simply refresh with the end-of-the-day value.

portfolioslicer is the best thing since sliced bread ! It replaced my quicken entirely.
    Larry81 - Thanks! I added your suggestion about exchange rate more frequent updates. But I cannot promise anything in the near future, sorry...

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by vidm View Post
    Regarding username /password error.
    As on the same PC you were able update yesterday, I have to assume that your PC is setup correctly and you have SQL Server Native Client installed.
    Second most common reason for this error - when you are running some firewall on your PC, strange thing is that in such case I have to assume you had firewall yesterday and it worked.
    I had users reported same issue, and then reported back that they had this issue when they run VPN on their PC. Maybe that is your case?

If you still experience this issue, please let me know, I'll post what you should do next.
    You are right it is due to firewall. Now it is working fine.

I do have another question: in my case I started investment mainly this year, so I plan to track from begining of this year. I do have some stocks/mutual funds prior to this year. Is there a way to just take a snapshot of those previous investment, and only track buy and sell starting this year ? e.g., if I use transaction Deposit, can I deposit a stock instead of cash ? Wonder what's the best way to handle that. Thanks again.

I figured it out. Used Buy+Deposit. Still playing. Looks like an awesome tool.
    Last edited by GGO; 2015-04-10 at 09:42 PM.

Still have questions. Sorry.

For RBC RRSP account, we have both US and CAD account to buy US and canadian stocks. Do I need to set up 2 accounts in PS to track them, or shall I handle them in one account with CAD currency ? probably two accounts so easier to track currency ? If two accounts how do I handle Norbert's Gambit transaction between the two accounts ? 2nd example in the FAQ below seems to explain this ?

http://portfolioslicer.com/Support/FAQ#norbert

Still have not figured out how to put some existing stocks into my account without going through cash deposit and buy process. I tried to deposit same amount of cash as the stock market value on Dec 31 2014 and put another buy transaction on same day. Somehow it just does not show up in the holdings tab. not sure what I did wrong. Would appreciate some help from vidm. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GGO View Post
    You are right it is due to firewall. Now it is working fine.

I do have another question: in my case I started investment mainly this year, so I plan to track from begining of this year. I do have some stocks/mutual funds prior to this year. Is there a way to just take a snapshot of those previous investment, and only track buy and sell starting this year ? e.g., if I use transaction Deposit, can I deposit a stock instead of cash ? Wonder what's the best way to handle that. Thanks again.

I figured it out. Used Buy+Deposit. Still playing. Looks like an awesome tool.
    Actually for initial setup recommendation is:
    - Make sure your web workbook minimum date is setup to 2014-12-30.
    - Make deposit transaction into account that is in amount of total book value. Use date 2014-12-30 for that deposit transaction
    - Make buy transaction with date 2014-12-31 with original price. Data for 2014 will show big cap gain/loss, but you are going to look just into 2015 data.

Q:For RBC RRSP account, we have both US and CAD account to buy US and canadian stocks. Do I need to set up 2 accounts in PS to track them, or shall I handle them in one account with CAD currency ? probably two accounts so easier to track currency ? If two accounts how do I handle Norbert's Gambit transaction between the two accounts ? 2nd example in the FAQ below seems to explain this ?

A: I make one account in PS per each account in your bank institution. It is very important what is PS account currency - all transactions in that account are assumed to be made in the PS account currency! So if you have 2 accounts, you want to create 2 accounts in PS with correct currency. Yes, for Norbert Gambit I have FAQ that explains how to do this.

Q: Still have not figured out how to put some existing stocks into my account without going through cash deposit and buy process. I tried to deposit same amount of cash as the stock market value on Dec 31 2014 and put another buy transaction on same day. Somehow it just does not show up in the holdings tab. not sure what I did wrong.

A: At this point you have to first deposit money into account and then enter buy transactions. I explained above how to deposit one day before buy transactions. I suspect that you might have issues because your minimum workbook date is 2015-01-01 and not 2014-12-30. If you do not know amount you need to deposit first, then deposit 1mln $, do all your buy and then check "Cash Balance", lets say after last buy transaction it shows 912,456$. Then you do simple math: 1,000,000-912,456=87,544 and then you simply replace original 1mln deposit value with 87544$ and that means your last cash balance now will be 0$.

I realize that PS does not have enough documentation, I am adding more comments and samples to new release I am working on. My highest priority is to make necessary reports and then I'll work on more documentation.

Thanks so much, Vidm. I kind of figured out this similar to your suggestions. Basically I deposite some cash end of 2014 and then enter some buy transaction Jan 1 2015 for previous holdings. It now works great.

Yes I also created separate account for RRSP as one holds CAD stocks and the other US stocks in two currencies.

I have to say that this is an awesome tool and will help me a great deal in tracking my investment. I was doing some of these in Excel myself but it's no where close to what I can get with PS tool. Thanks for creating and sharing this !

Hi Vidm: spent hours to try to get the above to work, i.e., deposit cash and enter buy transaction using same amount of cash so that I can record previous stocks bought. Unfortunately doing that somehow screw up the cash holding calculation. In the srcTran tab the Totalcashbalance is correct, but in the holding tab it gave me less cash and not sure why. If I removed these deposit and buy transactions I get correct cash holdings. If i deposit arbiturary amount of cash to make cash holding correct, then the srcTran tab will show incorrect number ? I hope there is an easy way around this problem as I think this might happen quite often. Thanks,

Seems found the issue. The reduction of cash is because cash deposit for previous stocks is done in 2014 Dec 30. If I change deposit date to Jan 1 2015 I get correct number now.
    Last edited by GGO; 2015-04-11 at 09:28 PM.

I spent hours trying to get it working. I can't get the right amount of total amount shown on dashboard. I've copy and pasted transactions from my brokerage account and the quote it grabbed from cloud is correct. So I don't know where it went wrong yet

Also I have an error every time I "refresh all" in Data tab. "A PowerTable Report cannot overlap another PivotTable report."

This error shows up even before I touch anything after downloading it

Any idea? Thanks.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast