Portfolioslicer (Automated Excel portfolio tracker) - Page 8
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 152

Thread: Portfolioslicer (Automated Excel portfolio tracker)

  1. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    85
    Hi Larry,

    In Portfolio Slicer there are 2 transaction types to deal with such distributions:

    NotionalDistrib Notional Distribution - Capital Gains Increases Book value!
    ReturnOfCapital Return of Capital - Decreases book value!

    So you simply enter distribution transaction with type "ReturnOfCapital", Qty=17234 and Price:5081.62

    Free investment tracking in Excel: Hidden Content

  2. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    1,481
    thanks vidm !!! Any plan for the next update ?
    My portfolio: VCN, VUN, VIU, VEE, HBB, ZRE

  3. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by larry81 View Post
    thanks vidm !!! Any plan for the next update ?
    Hi Larry,

    I am reviewing my own investments and I also see for XEI "CG DIV" transaction. I believe that these "CG DIV" transactions should "Increase" (!!!!) your ACB, so you should be using NotionalDistrib transaction type.

    Here is my look at that:

    Let say I invested in XEI stocks. During the year I receive dividends into my account (assuming regular account, NOT RRSP or TFSA), lets say 100$/month. Around March of next year I receive "Summary of Trust Income" from my bank that now tells me that every month (actually values every month could be different) I received:
    90$ of "Total Capital gains, box 21"
    8$ of "Actual Amount of eligible dividends, box 49"
    2$ of "Return of Capital, box 42"
    As I receive dividends every month I know that my "Return of Capital" for year is 24$ (12x2$).
    For this in portfolio slicer I create 2 transactions for the last day of the year, or if stock was sold during the year, then I enter transactions one day before last sale.
    Symbol: XEI, TransType: DivTA, TransSubType: DivTypeAdj, Qty: 1000, Price: -24$
    Symbol: XEI, TransType: ReturnOfCapital, TransSubType: DivTypeAdj, Qty: 1000, Price: 24$
    So with these 2 transactions I subtracted 24$ from general dividends paid by that symbol and then added 24$ for "Return of Capital" paid by that symbol. Total paid dividend stays the same.
    With these transaction ACB will be reduced and that means when I will sell that symbol, my Capital Gain will be bigger.

    Some symbols have NotionalDistributions that are "Reinvested distributions". For example symbol XEI on Dec 29, 2014 paid 0.74306$ per share as "Reinvested Distributions". In my TD Waterhouse statement I see this as "CG DIV" transaction followed by "DRIP" transaction. Other banks might not post any transaction for such distribution. In Portfolio Slicer I enter this as one transaction:
    Symbol: XEI, TransType: NotionalDistrib, Qty: 1000, Price: 743.06$
    This distribution is not really paid out as you do not see any change in your cash values.
    This transaction increases ACB by distribution amount and that means when you will sell symbol, your capital gain will be smaller.
    Please note that info about this distribution is not included in your "Summary of Trust Income" as separate transaction type, so really if you did not properly identify this transaction and adjust your ACB, you will pay extra tax. But if you carefully review "Summary of Trust Income" usually at the month of December you will see distribution paid that is bigger than amount you received in your account. Please note that if you carefully check T3, you will see that it includes that extra distribution. So really with Notional Distributions you pay Cap Gain tax in the year you receive it and then pay less tax when you sell your symbol.

    So please double check what type of distribution is this so that you do not overpay tax!!

    Regarding next Portfolio Slicer version - I am working on it every day, I just do not want to rush releasing it before I am happy with functionality. I am not sure when next release will be done.
    Last edited by vidm; 2015-04-04 at 07:40 PM.
    Free investment tracking in Excel: Hidden Content

  4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #74
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    16
    Excel on steroids. Pretty slick.
    With your server running in the cloud are you having any issues with quote refresh latency?
    Can the quote refresh times be modified at all?

  6. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamank View Post
    Excel on steroids. Pretty slick.
    With your server running in the cloud are you having any issues with quote refresh latency?
    Can the quote refresh times be modified at all?
    In Portfolio Slicer cloud database stock quotes are refreshed few times per day - mostly to accommodate different time zones (many users are from Europe, Asia) and to capture general days trend. Mutual fund prices are updates once a day - 5 hours after market close. Quote refresh time cannot be modified. Portfolio Slicer is designed for reporting on your investment performance, so having few hours delayed quotes should be sufficient for absolute majority of people.
    Free investment tracking in Excel: Hidden Content

  7. #76
    Senior Member m3s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    2,981
    I'm still using it regularly and it's pretty much everything I wanted Quicken to be.

    On the dashboard, one of my "top YTD winners" seems to be wrong, possibly counting gains from the book value or something (I repurchased it this year, shows as a YTD winner +24% but it's actually down slightly this year)

    When I reconciled the balances I also found that I had input some bank fees backwards (negative) Not sure if you could have a warning for that somehow but it's not a big deal

    I like the buttons for CAD/USD/original and the exchange rate impact etc. All the tabs are great insight as well and easy to use.
    Amat Victoria Curam

  8. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    35
    i'm trying this but find documentation seems a bit lagging and does not match current version. Can someone explain what's "account" and "portfolio" ? On existing demo and old version there is only portfolio which seems easier to handle. Not sure how I handle account vs. portfolio in the new version when I enter transactions. Thanks !

  9. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by GGO View Post
    i'm trying this but find documentation seems a bit lagging and does not match current version. Can someone explain what's "account" and "portfolio" ? On existing demo and old version there is only portfolio which seems easier to handle. Not sure how I handle account vs. portfolio in the new version when I enter transactions. Thanks !
    Account usually matches your bank account.
    Portoflio - group of accounts that you group any way you want. For example you might use 2 values in portfolio - one your name and another your spouse name. Portfolio can be used to apply filter to report, for example you want to see just accounts that belong to you and not to your spouse.
    Free investment tracking in Excel: Hidden Content

  10. #79
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by m3s View Post
    I'm still using it regularly and it's pretty much everything I wanted Quicken to be.
    On the dashboard, one of my "top YTD winners" seems to be wrong, possibly counting gains from the book value or something (I repurchased it this year, shows as a YTD winner +24% but it's actually down slightly this year)
    When I reconciled the balances I also found that I had input some bank fees backwards (negative) Not sure if you could have a warning for that somehow but it's not a big deal
    I like the buttons for CAD/USD/original and the exchange rate impact etc. All the tabs are great insight as well and easy to use.
    Hi m3s, I believe that issue with top YTD winners will be fixed in the next release - I changed how Profit % is calculated and that affects YTD winner. I also added option not to track cash, so you will not need to do deposits before buying stocks - and that should simplify PS usage substantially.

    Regards,
    Free investment tracking in Excel: Hidden Content

  11. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by vidm View Post
    Account usually matches your bank account.
    Portoflio - group of accounts that you group any way you want. For example you might use 2 values in portfolio - one your name and another your spouse name. Portfolio can be used to apply filter to report, for example you want to see just accounts that belong to you and not to your spouse.
    Thanks very much. I spent some time last night to go through the steps. Got most working but today I can't seem to refresh/update as I always get user name/password error when I try to refresh data in power pivot table. Not sure why as it seems to work yesterday. Also got warning about 32 bit version of Excel 2010 which is the one I'm using.


Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •