Portfolioslicer (Automated Excel portfolio tracker) - Page 11
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Portfolioslicer (Automated Excel portfolio tracker)

I installed Portfolio Slicer last week and this weekend finished by entering reinvested capital gains and notional distributions in my non-registered account so the cost base is correct. Not a great week for the markets.

What an fantastic spreadsheet with an amazing amount of detail. Thanks VDIM!
    I like the fact that when buying or selling shares I don't have to worry about the sign... just enter the # of shares and PS knows that buys increase the quantity and sales decrease the quantity.

Couple items for VDIM:

1) On the Fees tab a trading commission (Trading Fees) that I pay displays with a positive sign, but a bank fee (Fees Admin) that I pay displays with a negative sign. The only reason I noticed is a fee rebate showed up as a positive value rather than negative.
    2) Are the Account Group 1, 2 and 3 categories used? It does not look like it, maybe they are for future use or creating my own reports?
    3) What is the difference between Tax Inside and Outside?
    4) What's the best way to enter GICs? I created a private symbol for each with a price equal to the yearend $ value of the GIC from my broker statement (I'll only update the price at each year end.) Then entered a buy transaction with a quantity of 1 and a price equal to the original $ value of the GIC.

For other users:
    A) If you have moved from Quicken to Portfolio Slicer are you still entering transactions in Quicken? I use it for all my banking, so will keep using it at least to show cash moving in and out of my brokerage account.
    B) Are you tracking ACB in Portfolio Slicer? I have always used AdjustedCostBase.ca. If you have not tried it take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatLaker View Post
    I installed Portfolio Slicer last week and this weekend finished by entering reinvested capital gains and notional distributions in my non-registered account so the cost base is correct. Not a great week for the markets.

What an fantastic spreadsheet with an amazing amount of detail. Thanks VDIM!
    I like the fact that when buying or selling shares I don't have to worry about the sign... just enter the # of shares and PS knows that buys increase the quantity and sales decrease the quantity.

Couple items for VDIM:

1) On the Fees tab a trading commission (Trading Fees) that I pay displays with a positive sign, but a bank fee (Fees Admin) that I pay displays with a negative sign. The only reason I noticed is a fee rebate showed up as a positive value rather than negative.
    2) Are the Account Group 1, 2 and 3 categories used? It does not look like it, maybe they are for future use or creating my own reports?
    3) What is the difference between Tax Inside and Outside?
    4) What's the best way to enter GICs? I created a private symbol for each with a price equal to the yearend $ value of the GIC from my broker statement (I'll only update the price at each year end.) Then entered a buy transaction with a quantity of 1 and a price equal to the original $ value of the GIC.

For other users:
    A) If you have moved from Quicken to Portfolio Slicer are you still entering transactions in Quicken? I use it for all my banking, so will keep using it at least to show cash moving in and out of my brokerage account.
    B) Are you tracking ACB in Portfolio Slicer? I have always used AdjustedCostBase.ca. If you have not tried it take a look.
    Hi GreatLaker,

Thank you for such positive Portfolio Slicer review - I appreciate them very much!

Answers:
    1) Negative "Fees Admin" was bug that will be fixed in next release. Thanks for reporting this issue!
    2) These are just grouping fields that are not used in any reports. But you can easily yourself these grouping fields as filter or slicer to any report.
    3) There is no difference - in Demo workook values are Inside/Outside. In my own workbook values are TFSA, RRSP, Cash. I cannot use RRSP or TFSA values as many users are in all over the world and they do not know what these values means. But this is just another grouping field.
    4) To enter GIC my recommendation would be: Create private symbol for each different GIC you want to track. Set private symbol value to 1. Then when you enter GIC buy transaction, specify Qty as dollar amount you buying, example 5000 and buying price as 1$. When selling you can specify one transaction for sell with sell price of 1$ and another transaction of dividends on symbol with TransType = 'DivTA', Qty=1 and Price=<interest received> If you interest is added yearly to exiting buy amount (auto-renew), then you can simply add dividend transaction for interest and then add buy transactions for same GICs with quantity equal to interet received.

Regarding ACB.

I believe that next release of Portfolio Slicer will be able much better handle ACB. All of your ACB calculation will be done instantly in Transactions table - no need to do any refresh. That is - as soon as you enter sell transaction, I'll review all your buy/sell/NotionalDistrib/ReturnOfCapital transactions and will calculate ACB for that sell transaction recursively. You will be able to also enter Exch Rate for that transaction or let PS use cloud exchange rate. As you know exch rate is critical in properly calculating ACB for foreign holdings. Adding ability override default Exch Rate helps too - for example most likely you will enter ReturnOfCapital transaction once a year using last day of years date. But you will not want to use default Exch Rate for 2014-12-31, but instead will want to use "Years Average" exchange rate. So basically ACB calculation was moved completely into Excel (vs PowerPivot before).

Regards,
    Free investment tracking in Excel: Hidden Content

For other users:
    I'm still using Quicken since it holds so many past transactions and I can download new ones in Quicken format. I have created and saved Quicken reports for each account to export data to excel, then I just have to rearrange some columns and "replace all" to get the PortfolioSlicer format. Just watch the + and - for fees and sells etc. I don't intend to ever pay for Quicken again but it is useful for tracking networth and having everything in one place

For vidm, I will reply to your last post at some point. I have a MacBook so I don't have PortfolioSlicer on the road. I just DIY upgraded it to SSD and moved the HDD into the optical drive's place so I could easily install Windows on a partition now to have the few programs that are Windows only. I think that will be the best of both worlds.. or maybe Windows 10 will knock one out of the park?
    amat victoria curam

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like an awesome release coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by vidm View Post
    3) There is no difference - in Demo workook values are Inside/Outside. In my own workbook values are TFSA, RRSP, Cash. I cannot use RRSP or TFSA values as many users are in all over the world and they do not know what these values means. But this is just another grouping field.
    More universal demo values for tax treatment would be Taxable (eg. Cash & Margin accounts), Tax Deferred (eg. RRSP, LIRA, IRA) and Tax Exempt (eg. TFSA, Roth IRA).

Thanks again.

Edit: one other item I noticed is the MER on iShares XEC in the cloud database is blank. iShares website shows the Management Fee as 0.25%, and the prospectus shows the MER for 2014 to be 0.27%
    Last edited by GreatLaker; 2015-04-21 at 07:15 AM.

Quick question since I can't immediately find the answer; do the spreadsheets allow you to calculate money-weighted returns (sometimes called internal rate of return or dollar-weighted returns)?
    Last edited by StockTrader; 2015-04-21 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo

I have all of my historical transactions in Quicken. Can I export these to something like a CSV or QIF file and then import them into Portfolioslicer?

Will Portfolioslicer track my CAD ACB for USD investments in a USD based account?

Is there any easy way to send transactions from my TD Waterhouse accounts into Portfolioslicer?

Quote Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
    I have all of my historical transactions in Quicken. Can I export these to something like a CSV or QIF file and then import them into Portfolioslicer?
    You can export your transations to txt format but be prepared to do lot of search/replace to get it to the proper format.
    My portfolio: VCN, VUN, VIU, VEE, HBB, ZRE

Edit: one other item I noticed is the MER on iShares XEC in the cloud database is blank. iShares website shows the Management Fee as 0.25%, and the prospectus shows the MER for 2014 to be 0.27%
    Thanks! I fixed XEC.TO MER. Also for future, if MER data is not correct in cloud database, you can always specify your own MER in "Edit Symbol" web page at the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
    Quick question since I can't immediately find the answer; do the spreadsheets allow you to calculate money-weighted returns (sometimes called internal rate of return or dollar-weighted returns)?
    Portfolio Slicer allows to calculate "Internal Rate of Return" - that is same as Excels XIRR function. In Portfolio Slicer it is called "RoR Symbol" and "RoR Account". (RoR stands for Rate of Return). But this formula works just for single symbol or for accounts (1 or more). It does not work on group of symbols - for example if you selected symbols in "Real Estate" allocation. Also, other % calculations (Profit%, Cap Gain %) is calculated monthly and then geometrically linked so money flows have less impact on results.

cant wait for your next release with "ehanced" ECB tracking !

My portfolio: VCN, VUN, VIU, VEE, HBB, ZRE

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast