What are you buying?
Page 1 of 684 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you buying?

What are you buying?

I thought it would be interesting and hopefully informative to start a new thread to pass on what we are buying. It would be a little more helpful if you would also provide a bit of the buy story (even if it's just a "hot tip" from a friend.).

To start off, here are a couple that I've just purchased.

Futuremed Healthcare (FMD.UN) - They are the largest provider of nursing supplies, medical supplies and equipment to nursing homes in Canada. I figure this has be a growing industry and somewhat recession proof. Provides a 9.3% dividend. P/E 13.7 P/B 1.2

Interpipelines (IPL.UN) - Utilities seem to be a conservative bet and somewhat recession resistant play in this environment. Provides a 8.1% dividend. P/E 10.6, P/B 1.9
    Last edited by Spidey; 2010-01-11 at 09:22 PM.

I recently bought YPG Holdings Inc. 7.3% 2/2/2015
    Will be adding to my existing position in TRP within TFSA this month, hopefully @ $35 or less.
    Bought the same last year same time at around $30, but no such deal around this time )

Eyeing several other stocks including CPD, XRE and FTS however, none of them within my expected price range.

Come to think of it, not much out there to buy among the well-known names.

Spidey, I assume both of your buys are income trusts.
    Do you have any concerns around their upcoming conversions?
    Do you believe a distribution cut is already built into the pricing?

I buy warrants. For those who don't know warrants are the right to buy a stock at a given price for a given amount of time.

For example I just bought some warrants for Canadian Western Bank. This particular warrant gives me the right to buy a Canadian western Bank share for 14$ until 2014. CWB is currently trading at $20.79 and the warrant at $7.16. So the warrant in this case is trading at a premium of 0.37. If you don't understand this don't worry warrants are usually traded by banks and most people don't understand them.

I have a small amount of capital to work with. To buy CWB I would have to have a minimum of 2079$. I would have 100 shares but I just bought 300 warrants for the same amount. The warrant tracks the share price if the price goes up on the stock the warrant also goes up. So I will get 3 times the appreciation as someone who buys the share.

I also often buy warrants that trade at much lower prices. I just bought 225000 OSU.WT at .005 which is the cheapest a share can go. Then I immediately put them on a GTC for .01 which doubles my money. Then I go about my regular job and wait for email alerts. The biggest problem is not getting excited or urgent about anything and buy low and sell when it goes up even a few cents.

When I started investing I tried to buy good companies and lost my shirt. Now I buy what has no choice but go up. I buy lots of shares and if It goes up even one penny I make a really good return.

Right now I have buy orders in for .005 for CCJ.WT, EMC.WT, and CEK.WT

Remember what I said about banks buying warrants? Well banks buy in large lots and sell in large lots. So when they want to sell I am sitting there waiting to buy and when they want to sell I am waiting to sell. In that way I am market making more than trading.

So yeah that's what I do/trade.

If you want more info.... www.canadianwarrants.com has all the warrants listed and is a great place to start.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

I've bought some bond funds, CLF, CBO, and CAB (when it was low 19 range). I'm treating CAB as an experiment.

I want to buy some D.UN, but given the price has jumped like crazy I am waiting, even if they are still at 10% yield.

Other than that, I have sold some stuff; which opens up the other side of the question; what are you selling?

I have sold YLO.UN not because I made any cap. gains (maybe 1%), other than the 15% yield they are paying, buy because I thought my position was too large with them; i.e. I had gotten greedy because of the 15% yield and I have no idea what will happen to them year end in terms of yield.

I have also sold some CYH for the 28% capital gain.

So I've been mostly sitting on the fence the last couple months, waiting and hoping for a bit of a correction.

A reasonably large portion of my portfolio is sitting in cash at the moment. Still trying to decide; there aren't that many good deals that would nicely complement my portfolio at this time, so I'm on the sidelines waiting for some nice opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by HaroldCrump View Post

Will be adding to my existing position in TRP within TFSA this month, hopefully @ $35 or less.
    TRP is at $35.15 right now, so I'm getting some too. Got rival ENB at $41 in November and now is trading at $47.

Canadian: Bombardier, Canadian National Railway, Goldcorp, Magna, Suncor + banks.

American: Took a chance on Ford & Citigroup at $9 and $3 respectively. Intel & JNJ.

Any thoughts on:

Potash Corp.
    RIM
    Tata Nano

Waiting for 4th quarter earnings.

Here are some thoughts from money manager of the decade.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle1416065/

@Spidey: nice thread, thank you!
    @Berubeland: thanks for the info. & link on warrants.
    Last edited by Toronto.gal; 2010-01-12 at 08:49 AM.

Spidey, I assume both of your buys are income trusts.
    Do you have any concerns around their upcoming conversions?
    Do you believe a distribution cut is already built into the pricing?

Both picks have, pretty solid fundamentals. For example, I compared the ratios of IPL.UN to TRP (which I also own) and ENB and it stacks up fairly well.
    I would guess, based on earnings, that FMD.UN may have a 30% dividend cut after the conversion and IPL.UN may be able to keep their current distribution or have a small cut. So yes, I believe that potential distribution cuts are already built in to the pricing.

Bought Gravity (GRVY) on the nasdaq, trading below its net net working capital

Biovail looks interesting as well, still spitting lots of good free cash flow

Anyone still here?

Well just in case I am buying Slam Exploration - SXL.V on the venture exchange. They have great proven reserves in their Nash property. At current pricing the value is about 80 cents for just one property. They have several. Results are starting to come in. Few months ago share price was .04 cents. Yesterday it traded around .13 / .14 cents and currently sitting at .11 / .12 cents. The early birds will profit most. This company should be valued well over a dollar.

A commodity mutual Fund, Google, and SiriusXM

Page 1 of 684 1231151101501 ... LastLast