TV & Internet Package
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TV & Internet Package

TV & Internet Package

I'm currently shopping around for a good TV & Internet package. I'm paying like almost $130/month with Shaw, and they keep revising the monthly rates for internet and certain channels. As indicated in my info, I'm in Alberta. For those who have TV and internet, how are you guys keeping the costs down? Are you guys paying TV and internet separately? Can you please suggest some companies I should look at? Thanks, folks!

Telus was through my neighborhood, door-to-door, drumming up business with a promotion a few weeks ago - you could ask them what they would offer. They said they would provide high speed internet (they will give you the box for free), optic TV and phone for around $60 for the first year, then - you guessed it - it goes up to around 100-110 per year. This all took place during the Verizon "scare". I discussed it with my wife, but we stayed with what we already have. We have Shaw cable (44 per month and rising - for bare-bones programming!), and Primus for our phone, long distance and internet (around 70 per month). All in around 115 for cable, internet and phone. Primus doesn't have the best service - but that doesn't bother me too much. check out Primus if interested - I have the basic triple bundle plan http://primus.ca/index.php/bc_en/bundles.html
    Last edited by dubmac; 2013-09-15 at 06:54 PM.

Shaw gets you with their add-on bundles of channels. You could try eliminating most of the extra stuff and just keep the basic channels. We have cable, high speed, and phone all through Shaw bundled for $110 a month.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

i have shaw basic cable, high-speed internet and phone for $92
    telus has a really nice one-year offer of $45 for all 3 services
    but i just don't think the tv delivery is a s good on telus
    shaw has been rock solid with great picture always and a reliable pvr box

Yeah, I've been a long time Shaw customer. I find they often increase their fees, so I'm starting to get fed up.

I know for cell phone companies, you can threaten to leave their company. Then they will try to 'retain' you with a better deal. Has anyone tried that method with TV and internet?

I know I've gone to Rogers customer retention department a few times, every year in fact for the last 7 years. They usually put a deal together that saves me 20% or more on VIP cable and internet.
    Hidden Content - Working on a $1 million portfolio and $30k per year from it.

Quote Originally Posted by leeder View Post
    Yeah, I've been a long time Shaw customer. I find they often increase their fees, so I'm starting to get fed up.

I know for cell phone companies, you can threaten to leave their company. Then they will try to 'retain' you with a better deal. Has anyone tried that method with TV and internet?
    This is really funny leeder as I'm going through the exact same situation as you. Fed up with service for price through Shaw, and wondering about retentions deals, etc. Was particularly frustrated when they just bumped everyone's bills up by like $7/month with no announcement, and no particular reason why in the bill.

There's a thread on RedFlagDeals about Shaw and some CSRs are sending offers to new customers. One told me that there are no retentions deals for new customers. However, I had someone from Telus send me a PM and said I'd be looking at $40/month for Telus Optik TV Essentials & Telus Internet 25. I'm assuming this would only be a 6 month promo, and I'd probably add a couple theme packs (@ $9/month) but I'd still be way cheaper at $58/month than I am currently at $120/month. I'd be losing the 50Mbps connection with Shaw, but I'm not 100% convinced I need it. Even saving $60/month for 6 months is a $360 savings, which would more than pay for a new PVR with Telus.

I'm beginning to think I'll just switch back and forth between Shaw & Telus on promos. If I own a PVR outright for both companies (already have a Shaw one), it would be an easy switch. Just having trouble pulling the trigger.

My internet and TV package through Shaw is roughly the same cost, so I've been looking at switching to Telus. I figure between my GF and I we could do the 'supplier-shuffle' every year or so, taking advantage of the deal and save money. The hassle is obviously organizing the installations and potential for service interruptions.

The alternative would be to buy a media centre PC, hooking it up to the TV and removing the TV portion. Could then stream shows through their websites (CBC/CTV/BNN, Netflix etc) through the media centre PC and watch on the TV. May need to bump up the internet package to the next level but either way saving by not having the TV package.

AB

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaBoy View Post
    The alternative would be to buy a media centre PC, hooking it up to the TV and removing the TV portion. Could then stream shows through their websites (CBC/CTV/BNN, Netflix etc) through the media centre PC and watch on the TV. May need to bump up the internet package to the next level but either way saving by not having the TV package.
    AB
    Or perhaps get some stuff over the air? I don't know what would be available in Alberta.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Peasant View Post
    Or perhaps get some stuff over the air? I don't know what would be available in Alberta.

I get 7 stations

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast