TV & Internet Package - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TV & Internet Package

I cut the cable and now only have high speed internet and phone through Shaw. $79 per month. I do have Netflix. I don't miss cable TV at all.

I'm tempted to call Shaw up and tell them I'm leaving them for another company. We'll see, I guess...

Bell Phone and Internet service

Quote Originally Posted by leeder View Post
    Yeah, I've been a long time Shaw customer. I find they often increase their fees, so I'm starting to get fed up.

I know for cell phone companies, you can threaten to leave their company. Then they will try to 'retain' you with a better deal. Has anyone tried that method with TV and internet?
    I use Bell for internet and cellphone service (I'm in Ontario). More than once I've called regarding phone bills and eventually get shuttled to their "customer retention department." Through some gentle haggling (though I never did threaten to quit their service) I got three add-ons for free: Message pack ($15), Msg Centre express & Call Display ($10) and Extended hours - nights ($7). The freebies only add up to $32 per month, but I'll keep that in my wallet thankyewverymuch.

Now, I am locked into a contract until January 2015 so there may be an opportunity cost sometime in the near future. But their service has been good so I've no desire to change providers anyway.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Silverdart View Post
    I use Bell for internet and cellphone service (I'm in Ontario). More than once I've called regarding phone bills and eventually get shuttled to their "customer retention department." Through some gentle haggling (though I never did threaten to quit their service) I got three add-ons for free: Message pack ($15), Msg Centre express & Call Display ($10) and Extended hours - nights ($7). The freebies only add up to $32 per month, but I'll keep that in my wallet thankyewverymuch.

Now, I am locked into a contract until January 2015 so there may be an opportunity cost sometime in the near future. But their service has been good so I've no desire to change providers anyway.
    Out of curiosity, how useful are these add-ons? I.e. are they things you would have paid for anyway? The reason why I ask is that one technique for businesses is to give away things that have minimal cost, but inflated value to keep customers happy to pay what they pay. It is similar to how upsizing meals at fast food places cost the buyer $1, but cost the restaurant pennies.

I have a pay-as-you-go phone and it has call display and a message centre at no ongoing cost, beyond the airtime cost to access the mail box. How is it that they charge $10 extra if you are on a plan?

I agree that it's a way for businesses to appease its customers by giving them 'free' services or products. It makes for a happy customer and a happy customer is a return customer. It sort of like the idea of buying stuff on sale--the more you buy the more you save. A $100 gizmo at half price, if I buy just one I only save $50, but if I buy two I'll save $100!

I'm with shaw too. I've been mulling over switching as well. I guess what has been holding me back is the fact that I BOUGHT the tv boxes (not rent) so that would be a loss in $$.

I wonder if I could sell them though, like on Kijiji? They aren't very old. 2 are HD with PVR. How would I "unlink" them from my account though so someone else could use them?

Shaw

I have Shaw, the bare minimum, with high speed internet, and telephone. If it wasn't for my wife I would remove the TV portion completely. There is talk of allowing people to choose programs so I am waiting to see where that goes.

Although I am probably not the average viewer, don't watch sports, hate the mind numbing reality shows and the trivial celebrity watching shows. My main viewing is Knowledge Network and most of the public broadcasting networks.

I also have Netflix which gives me a little choice and have just found a service for $1.99 a month that will give me access to US Netflix, and European Netflix although I have not tried this service yet.

Bumping it up again..
    My student promo on internet will expire on 15th May so I pay 30$ right now for High speed 25.
    I am thinking of switching it to Telus 30$ deal for next 6 month
    Its freaking 67$ just for internet

I dont know if you have rogers and teksavvy in alberta. I pay $15.99 for rogers digital lite tv package with some 25 channels, and pay about $50 for teksavvy internet (400 gb, 25mb down and 2mb up).

I have Telus and switched from Shaw about 2 years ago. Telus upgraded me to fibre optic recently and it's zippy fast. I get phone, Internet and optic tv. Total cost is just over $120 month. I'm a retired pensioner so I get a lot of use for my Money. Also now Netflix on my tv by way of their many free apps (I really enjoy those apps). Telus Customer assistance is the best ever and I'm a happy camper. I shudder at the thought of switching to anything else.i

Last edited by Daryl; 2015-03-22 at 09:24 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast