Canadian Money Forum banner

Verizon coming....?

8K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Toronto.gal 
#1 ·
Not sure if this has been posted but thought I would start it.

I personally welcome Verizon coming to Canada. All that the big 3 current Canadian players in the cell market are concerned with is their bottom line. I applaud someone like Verizon coming in and offering a cheaper option!

Bell, Rogers and Telus all are using the "not Canadian" excuse. Give me a break. Since when did they care about being Canadian until now.

Providers like Koodoo and Wind can offer cheaper options and the big 3 can also they just don't.

Come north Verizon! :D

#2 ·
http://www.bnn.ca/News/2013/8/22/Fo...ly-to-trigger-price-war-in-Canada-Moodys.aspx
we will likely see a battle based on service according to this article

the big 3 are in a position to offer bundling and verspizon can't really compete in this area
plues they have a lot of work to do to build out their network

i have no problem with competition
i just don't think that a company with 3x the market cap of the big 3 combined deserves advantaged pricing

let them all bid for spectrum on an equal basis
and don't force the big 3 to share their infrastructure with verspizon

#4 ·
Providers like Koodoo and Wind can offer cheaper options and the big 3 can also they just don't.
Koodoo is actually owned by Telus. Additionally, I only pay $11/mo including tax for my cell service with Rogers (pay-go), so there are already some cheaper options out there.

Anyways, on the overall theme of your post I am in agreement. I think more competition can only be good, and I hope Verizon gets to come.

#6 ·
All that the big 3 current Canadian players in the cell market are concerned with is their bottom line.

Ummm...you don't think Verizon cares if they make a profit?

Also, I believe Telus still owns Koodoo, same for Rogers and Fido. They each have a low cost child company of sorts.

If I bought Verizon it would't be because of its potential expansion into the Canadian wireless market. Our market is too small in comparison to what their company already operates with its network. Especially as they are only after the Windsor-Quebec City corridor and Vancouver markets.

VZ will be able to offer lower prices on devices, but the big 3 have bundling discounts.\

There is more information posted in the Equities section on this topic.

#13 ·
If that's a per-minute charge, it means you're also paying $.25 cents for a 25 second call, so overall, that rate could actually be closer to the mid $.40's a minute. By overall, I mean if you were to add all the monthly calls per month that were under a minute, and I'm assuming there would be a few of those for such a low limit, as people would tend to hurry to end the per minute calls.

#17 ·
Still 40 cents/minute is awesome compared with a standard monthly plan if you don't make a lot of calls. I make about 2-3 cellphone calls per month, and am on Fido's cheapest monthly plan ($25.75 including tax), which means each call costs me $8 - $12. It's actually worth it to me, though, because with a monthly plan I earn "Fido Dollars" that I can apply to travel packs so I make my calls for free in US when traveling, which is when I use my cellphone most. Otherwise one trip to the US typically costs me $40 to $70 in cellphone bills.

#18 ·
We use Paygo because we are only here for 6 months so the $11 builds to my balance during the winter. Any postpaid plan causes the 6 monthly payments to be a total loss. With current usage patterns, every second year I trade in $100 balance for a 12 month payment holiday. Same for DW.

When we go to Europe or Mexico, we have local SIM cards so there is no roaming. We also use Talk Free wherever WiFi is available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.