Amazon.ca Rewards VISA Card Commission Free Currency - Page 3
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazon.ca Rewards VISA Card Commission Free Currency

I was reading recently about someone who got an Amazon points card and ended up ordering all kinds of junk he didn't need simply in order to use up his points. He uses the card for his business and puts about $10K on it every month, so he was racking up lots of points. He ditched it and got a cash-back card instead.

Any more experience with this card. I was thinking of getting it so I could put my son on as a secondary card. He is heading off to Australia and it would be nice for him to have access to a credit card while he gets settled. I have thought about it before as I do use Amazon a couple times a month. I already have a TD US dollar Visa which I got before this Amazon card became available. What experience have those of you that have the card had. Thanks.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. DC

uptoolate
    Any more experience with this card. I was thinking of getting it so I could put my son on as a secondary card. He is heading off to Australia and it would be nice for him to have access to a credit card while he gets settled. I have thought about it before as I do use Amazon a couple times a month. I already have a TD US dollar Visa which I got before this Amazon card became available. What experience have those of you that have the card had. Thanks.
    I would strongly consider it. As has been said above the card is very competitive. With the 1% + 0 commission you will be hard pressed to find anything better. Just use it wisely. Sometime it may be better to use another card for enhanced warranty. CDW coverage with car hire etc.

For day to day use it's probably one of the best for effectively spending cad in another currency.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

We use the Marriott version of this card. We are in the middle of planning out of country travel for Sept/Oct and Jan/Feb/March.

Just his month alone, we have saved $84. on Visa admin fees-just for travel purchases that we are making ahead of time. I checked the FX again. Euros, USD, Bahts are all coming across at a fair FX rate that matches the daily rate. We opted for the Marriott card. The cost is/was $100. per year. The first year was free and it included several nights free accommodation at Marriott . We used that in Miami and Vernon. We get a hotel voucher on each annual renewal that must be used within six months. We will use ours for a Marriott in Sydney Australia. It will save us about $250.

We use it for all foreign purchases and at amazon.ca where the discount is 2%. Had it since June.

Quote Originally Posted by uptoolate View Post
    Any more experience with this card.
    I've had it going on a year now and I'm very happy with it. To reiterate, you get essentially the noon day rate conversion (with a miniscule mark-up), 1% cash back, 2% amazon.ca cash back on books and there's no fee. There's no fee for a spousal card either. They now have an online presence so you can check your balances and purchases. We've saved hundreds of dollars in forex fees that we would have incurred using a regular VISA / Amex card.

If you decide to go with it, sign up through amazon.ca to get the gift card.

My understanding I that Chase Bank Canada (the sponsors of the Amazon and Marrriott Visa cards) also host a number of other no admin fee FX type cards. Sears MasterCard is one, and there are four or five others.

Quote Originally Posted by uptoolate View Post
    I have used this card extensively while out of the country and have been very happy with it. I too have saved hundreds of foreign currency conversion fees over using other cards.

Quote Originally Posted by fraser View Post
    My understanding I that Chase Bank Canada (the sponsors of the Amazon and Marrriott Visa cards) also host a number of other no admin fee FX type cards. Sears MasterCard is one, and there are four or five others.
    Best Buy Rewards Visa is the other notable card. Here are the others that Chase offers - https://www.chase.com/online/canada/canada-home-en.htm
    Last edited by Echo; 2014-09-01 at 02:43 PM.
    Hidden Content - Financial Freedom At Any Age
    Hidden Content

Thanks for those that replied with their experiences. So I now have the card. My plan is to transfer some CAD to the card so there is an excess balance and then withdraw the money as a cash advance in my destination country. Has anyone done this? Will it work to save the Forex fees? In the past, the best exchange was usually achieved by withdrawing foreign currency from an ATM once arriving in the country. Any flaw in my plan for taking a cash advance from an excess balance. Thanks again.

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. DC

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast