Amazon.ca Rewards VISA Card Commission Free Currency - Page 2
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazon.ca Rewards VISA Card Commission Free Currency

Quote Originally Posted by m3s View Post
    Actually this could be very useful for buying food, gas, accommodation and other foreign purchases with 1% rewards where you wouldn't use the warranty/protection/insurance for

For booking flights or buying big ticket items, I would still use a premium card
    This is the main idea behind getting the card for myself. For something to use for the casual expenses when I spend time out of back in the UK or on holiday elsewhere.

I'm going back for a week in October so will be able to report back on real world usage / forex rates.

We will either get this or the Marriott card. When our US dollar bank account is empty we will replace our US dollar Visa with one of these and use it for all non CAD purchases.

We have saved a good deal of Visa FX transaction fees in the past by having the USD Visa card.

I got this for the $15 dollar bonus and 2% amazon cashback last year. Had no idea there was no exhange fee. Too bad, I went on a roadtrip in the states this summer and must have put $1000 on my mastercard.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

I made my first purchase with this card. $1,292.14 USD on October 16, 2013. Noon rate on that day was 1.0345. Rate on the VISA was 1.0375. Billed amount was $1,340.59 CAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Video_Frank View Post
    I made my first purchase with this card. $1,292.14 USD on October 16, 2013. Noon rate on that day was 1.0345. Rate on the VISA was 1.0375. Billed amount was $1,340.59 CAN.

I was back in the UK for a week and have been meaning to post on here.

I had 10 transactions on the card with a total of $546.23 over a 9 day period.
    The average visa rate across all transactions was $1.6644 to £1 the BOC average for the same period was $1.6594 so around 0.3% of the Bank of Canada average. Now I don't know what time of day the visa rate gets taken from and with currency fluctuations it's pretty hard to pin point the exact time. Either way I don't believe you can do any better.

Then there is the 1% cashback you get anyway.

Overall very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidfinance View Post
    Either way I don't believe you can do any better.

Then there is the 1% cashback you get anyway.

Overall very impressed.
    True. BMo kept trying to get me to sign up for their US dollar Mastercard but it has a $25.00 annual fee (waived if you spend more than x dollars each year) and no cash back. Additionally, you'd need to pay it off from a $US account. The Amazon.ca VISA is way more convenient, no fee and cash back.

We got an Amazon card but have applied for, and will replace it with, the Marriott card. There is a fee for the latter but it comes with a free night hotel, no first year fee, and some extra hotel nights. I wanted the rental car coverage that the Marriott card has.

As soon as our USD bank account is almost empty, very soon, we will ditch our $30. USD Visa card.

The savings can be substantial. We are in the process of billing about $10K US on our USD Visa card. IF we put that on our Aeroplan Visa it would carry an exchange fee of $250. A friend has tried the Marriott card and says it works well....exchange rate is very close to actual.

Yes this card is my next target I recently got my first american express card so I am going to wait till next year before jumping on this one. No foreign exchange fee and 1% cash back are the main pull for me here, I have other cards that can give me insurance, air miles etc but no one with no foreign exchange fees

We went with the Chase Marriott Visa instead. Same card but with some added benefits that are well worth the $120. year to us. First year free. Just cancelled my $35. CIBC USD Visa card.

I just checked on a USD purchase that we made. It came across at the current exchange rate. NO additional fees.

In the past month we have put $9K on these cards...and avoided $225 of Visa FX admin charges.

We went with the Chase Marriott Visa instead. Same card but with some added benefits that are well worth the $120. year to us. First year free. Just cancelled my $35. CIBC USD Visa card.

I just checked on a USD purchase that we made. It came across at the current exchange rate. NO additional fees.

In the past month we have put $9K on these cards...and avoided $225 of Visa FX admin charges.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast