Life - Act III: Working for Money
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Life - Act III: Working for Money

Life - Act III: Working for Money

I am finally in a stable point of my life where I feel I can make this money diary. It's been a long time coming.

Act I of my life being "childhood", and Act II of course "paying for education". I am very glad to be moving on from those parts of my life.

To recap Act II - At christmas last year I had no job prospects, was struggling to finish one final course to get my degree, and had stretched the hospitality of (and relationship with) my parents to a near breaking-point - as I had been living with them like a lazy jobless slob for the 6 months prior. My net worth had just slipped into the negatives for the first time (-$2000), and I was starting to get pretty bummed out with my life.

I managed to somehow turn it around though, finish my degree, and had the good fortune of an amazing job landing in my lap! I have just crossed the 6 month mark at work, and things are going great. The work is interesting, busy but not too busy, and the commute situation is such that I don't need a car nor have to pay for public transportation.

Due to a substantial signing bonus and moving allowance, combined with agressive savings, I've been able to pay off my entire student loan ($7000) and now have a net worth of $36,000.

This money diary will provide a place to report my monthly spending and income, and where I can identify (with the help of you kind folks of CMF) any problems with my spending or savings plans.

Cheers!

August 2013

Age 26

Assets

Stocks - $19,500
    ---TFSA: $7000
    ---RRSP: $12,500

Cash - $16,500
    ---TFSA: $12,500
    ---Savings: $4000

Liabilities

Zero

Net Worth

$36,000

Income

$6300 after tax monthly
    18-25k in annual and quarterly bonuses

Total annual before tax income is around 120-125k plus overtime (although I'm not getting the opportunity to work much overtime yet).

Expenses

I generally don't track my exact spending breakdown, just do a monthly review of how much I spent and if anything went unusally high, investigate why that happened.

Core Expenses

Rent (all in): $900
    Groceries: $300
    Phone: $32
    Gym: $59
    Transportation: ~$60 (I buy a tank of gas for my girlfriend's car here and there. Don't drive much)
    Eating Out: $50
    Alcohol: $20
    Household nick-nacks: $30

Total: $1450

Variable Expenses

This parts a bit harder to nail down. But I'll post my best estimates based on previous spending and future projections.

Bi-monthly "mini vacation" to another city: $120
    Furnishings/household: $40
    Vacation: $600
    Electronics: $30
    Fish Tank stuff: $10
    Other: $100

Total: $900

Total: $2350

Total spending for the past 6 months has been $16,000 - equating to $2700/month, but that has included a few flights across the country and other various moving/one time costs, so I think $2350 is a reasonable breakdown going forward.
    Last edited by peterk; 2013-08-08 at 01:22 PM.

No emergency fund tiers? The way your plan is structured doesn't reveal where you are in relation to saving for tier 1, 2 etc. Perhaps you could include this in future updates. You seem to be doing very well.

26 and 120/yr? What field are you working in?

TIME TO BUY A SWEET-ASS CAR, amirite?

Seriously, not a lot to criticize here. I hope my kids are as practical and conscientious as you. (Gosh. That makes me sound REALLY OLD. My kids are a long way from university...they are going to be "lazy jobless slobs" for many more years!)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyGal View Post
    Tell me about it! Could lease an Audi S5 for $810/month. *drools* But I've got bigger goals in mind than cars...

Physik - I'm an Engineer in the oil sands. This salary would be difficult for me to achieve elsewhere (perhaps Australia).

I would like to be out of here after 5 years and relocate to a warmer climate, like Calgary (lol), where I can gain financial independence before 40. This will require some aggressive saving and even more aggressive money making.

Nice! A fellow engineer Us city engineers don't make that kind of dough. And with quarterly bonuses, I figured you were a banker!

(bank bonuses are paid yearly, not quarterly, almost everywhere now...even Lloyd's just ended quarterly bonuses this March)

So you are 26 and able to save around $4000 every month. My friend you are on a fast track to finanical independence. If you are fortunate enough to meet a professionally minded partner, combine your incomes, well.... you can join me in retirement in your 40's.

Your future is bright indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyGal View Post
    Not yet - first he has to save up 99 tiers of savings, which he can then use to buy a sweet-ass car!!

Kudos Peter!

Mike Holman
    Hidden Content Investing and Personal Finance

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast