Life - Act III: Working for Money - Page 2
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Life - Act III: Working for Money

Or he can marry a good poker player and retire at 27

haha are you offering? I just lost $40 in poker last week actually - I could use some lessons!

TRM - I'm pretty comfortable with a small cash cushion. In fact the only reason I have 16k not invested is because I'm uncertain about what my housing situation will be next year. I may consider buying so I don't feel comfortable being all-in (heh) the markets at this point.

I am 46 and a 27 year old sounds good to me , let me just ask my husband about that lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Maybe you could adopt him to take over when you retire in 10 years?

peterk. Keep at it. You are on the right track. But watch out for degenerative diseases. As a petroleum engineer in Sarnia and a salesman in Edmonton, I was familiar with many engineers who were struck down early after working in those conditions for their productive lives. My wife's cousin (an entrepreneur) became very rich during a lifetime in Ft Mac but both he and his wife died in their 60s from degenerative diseases.

I am training my 10 year old to take over from me ,I will retire when I am 80 )

Holy! That's pretty scary. What exposure do you think the cousin had to get such an illness?

I don't work in upgrading or with chemicals or anything. Mostly office and often fieldwork in the mine. There is more dust in the air up here though than I'm used to. You literally must sweep the patio every few weeks because of dust settling from the air...

Either way - I'll be out of here in 5 years, 10 tops!

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    Holy! That's pretty scary. What exposure do you think the cousin had to get such an illness?

I don't work in upgrading or with chemicals or anything. Mostly office and often fieldwork in the mine. There is more dust in the air up here though than I'm used to. You literally must sweep the patio every few weeks because of dust settling from the air...

Either way - I'll be out of here in 5 years, 10 tops!
    My brother spent 3 years in Fort McMurray ,he spent 31 years in Military including 4 years in Afghanistan and he said that place was the worst he felt.

Cousin spent whole working life there. Not in the plants but running the bus lines to/from the work sites in Ft. Mac. Moved to Edmonton/Phoenix when he was 65. Died 2 years later. Wife died one year after that.

Greater Vancouver area of British Columbia
    Please stop the tales of woe - Peter knows the situation in Fort McMurray and doesn't need to be told over and over about everyone we all know who lived there and died young. I know a number of people who spent most of their working lives in Fort McMurray and are living long and healthy retirements. You`re doing really well, Peter, and congratulations for getting your finances in such good shape at your age.

+1 to Karen, I also know a number of retirees living healthy lives after working in Ft. Mac.

Hidden Content - Follow my journey to one million in net worth..

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast