Canadian Money Forum banner

ING Thrive chequing account bonus

7K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Echo 
#1 ·
ING's offering $100 cash bonus when you sign up for a THRIVE chequing account and switch your payroll deposit to that account. http://www.ingdirect.ca/thrive/

The fine print:

Payroll must be deposited between June 1st, 2013 and September 30th, 2013. Limit of one (1) bonus per Account. Offer available to new ING DIRECT Clients only.

#2 ·
Is it just me or are these ING accounts VERY appealing? Never mind the incentive gimmick, it appears to have my chequing accounts beat.

Has anyone switched over completely from one of the big five? On one side it seems it would be a little more worrisome and clumsy for everyday use, but on the other side, a little worry and clumsiness could save money! I suppose it would either go horror story or fairy tale.

#7 ·
Has anyone switched over completely from one of the big five? On one side it seems it would be a little more worrisome and clumsy for everyday use, but on the other side, a little worry and clumsiness could save money! I suppose it would either go horror story or fairy tale.
I've been a happy Thrive user since practically day one, and haven't seen much in the way of "clumsiness." I've encountered only one bill that I can't pay online using Thrive; the only other clumsiness is that the ATM network is limited; you can use any ATM but in order to get free ATM withdrawals you need to use the Exchange network, which is used by a relatively limited number of banks. I do keep a credit union account open for that reason.

The other thing to note is that ING was purchased last year by Scotiabank; all indications are that they plan to maintain ING's fee-free features even after it's rebranded, but of course there's no knowing what Scotiabank will end up doing with it over the longer term.

#3 ·
I haven't switched over completely. As you say, it could get clumsy at times when you need to move money around in a hurry. I also have a TD Value account ($3.95 per month - 10 free transactions per month) and keep $1500 in there to waive the monthly fee.

One issue I've had, for example, is that ING doesn't have a direct bill payment link to pay the Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite (strange, considering they're the same company now). So I have to pay that c/c bill from my TD account.

So it does take some fumbling around from time-to-time, but I don't pay any fees, which is worth it to me.

#4 ·
Echo, do you have an ING account that you use for debit transactions?

I currently have the TD unlimited account and frequently use my card for 30+ debit purchases a month. I'm okay with it but have been searching around for a new chequing account. ING might be getting my business, will look comparatively at it in a few days.

#5 ·
@bflannel - I have ING's Thrive account, which comes with a debit card (free debits), but I use a cash back credit card for as many transactions as I can.

I used to use my debit card for everything (30+ transactions a month) but the fees are just ridiculous. I curbed my debit addiction by switching to the lower fee, lower minimum balance Value account, and then opening up a no-fee chequing account (ING), and finally starting to use a cash back credit card for my every day spending.

Instead of spending $150+ per year in bank fees, now I get $500+ back in cash back rewards.

#8 ·
I currently use ING Thrive and TD SS. I prefer to use ING as my primary chequing account because that is that is where my savings are and because the other banks have an archaic tendency to insist you present yourself in person to sign a paper (which involves a flight for me)

The only clumsiness for me so far was when my house sale closed while I was away. The notaire was apparently unable to transfer the funds directly to ING (who knows why.. I get my salary and CRA refunds electronically to ING without a hitch...) Now when I received the cheque, there is absolutely no way TD would cash the cheque anyways without me flying back to Canada and standing in line for them. Remote banking is the norm for ING and they can cash a cheque by mail (hopefully soon by taking a photo in a smartphone app, which USA banks have done for years..) Everyone should be moving from cheques to electronic payments these days anyways

I had a GIC with BMO back when GIC's had decent rates.. this year they mailed me a cheque conveniently missing most of the interest. They refuse to pay it out until I present myself at the old branch I haven't been to in a decade :rolleyes2: At least ING will never ask me to come to a branch...

Instead of spending $150+ per year in bank fees, now I get $500+ back in cash back rewards.
I do the same, however be conscious that the merchant fees for credit cards are already baked into the price... So in essence you are just getting back some of the merchant fees.. Great marketing there. Paying in cash should in theory get you a higher immediate discount at least at smaller businesses.

#6 ·
I'm wary of the full credit method as I am in and out of areas with no cell/wifi so keeping up on the books is difficult. I think I will be switching to ING Thrive to cut down on the fees my accounts have. Waiving them with a minimum balance is an option but I would much rather use my money for other things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.