Recipe Ideas for frugal people - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Recipe Ideas for frugal people

Super Moderator
    I made a frugal yet amazing meal tonight and wanted to share... I got the shrimp at a good price. Those small sized shrimp can be pretty affordable.

Garlic shrimp

Dice garlic and sautee in a wok
    Butter
    Shrimp
    Garlic salt
    udon noodles
    oregono flakes
    olive oil
    sesame oil - perhaps (I'm addicted to this stuff)

Probably not the most frugal thing on earth, but I still consider this a win!

^ It's definitely a win when enjoyed. But I would skip the butter if using olive oil and use garlic salt sparsely since the shrimps would be naturally sea-salty if not farm raised version. This would save a couple of cents too - in which case I would throw in a veggie, onions, green pepper, or peas?
    Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized.-A. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by james4beach View Post
    I made a frugal yet amazing meal tonight and wanted to share... I got the shrimp at a good price. Those small sized shrimp can be pretty affordable.
    Probably not the most frugal thing on earth, but I still consider this a win!
    Following a similar idea james - try this (but substitute some other smoked fish - eel is difficult to get and not in great shape). I've used smoked salmon and it's been pretty great but you could use almost anything:

http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/r...d-pangrattato/

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Here's a guy who lives frugally in a mobile home and is a gourmet cook. His YouTube channel is excellent and his website has PDFs of all the recipes.

http://www.white-trash-cooking.com

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaver101 View Post
    ^ It's definitely a win when enjoyed. But I would skip the butter if using olive oil and use garlic salt sparsely since the shrimps would be naturally sea-salty if not farm raised version. This would save a couple of cents too - in which case I would throw in a veggie, onions, green pepper, or peas?
    That's a good point. When I originally cooked this I didn't use olive oil and that occurred to me only later, so you might be right ... skip butter, just use olive oil.

I didn't realize that the shrimps are naturally salty. That's a good point on the salt, I could emphasize garlic powder which is a non salted one.

Saltier thing is a myth. If you are cooking like that you definitely want to use fresh garlic. Garlic powder has it's place but this is not one of those times.

This past weekend on Sunday I made 10l of beef chili - 2kg of lean ground beef, tvp for balance of the recipe called for beef, kidney beans pressure cooked from dry the day before, tomatoes from can bought on sale last fall, onions, green pepper from the shrink wrapped wounded fruit/veg cart at the grocer. Spices from bulk barn.

pressure canned 7-1l jars now in cold cellar, 1.5l in fridge, 1,5l split by four for dinner with stale buns for dipping.

next morning soak navy beans, after finding 2x500g bacon 30% off short dated at the grocery. dice more onions, bacon, add mustard, ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, and simmer. separate pressure canner cook beans, add to sauce mix now cooked.

pressure can 7-1l jars and shift to the cold cellar, and 3 l in the fridge.

this weekend use up last of the fall's canned tomatoes to make pasta sauce with discounted ground beef thawed from the freezer. should yield about 12l, pressure canned and

meals in the cold cellar are set aside for when the school year fires up in September. Until then eat what comes in fresh over the summer.

Is TVP actually cheap? I think I would bulk with beans over TVP, but that's due to my instinctive suspicion of the stuff.

Here's a $10 chicken pasta caserole. Although that's $10 in the US, ingredients are much more expensive here, especially chicken and cheese. I guess you could substitute ground beef for the chicken.

I buy TVP at bulk barn, and really don't think about the price, as I use it for a meat substitute when backcountry canoe camping.
    I am pretty sure it is cheaper than ground beef, though likely more dear than dry beans.
    Nutrient wise few things come in cheaper than dry beans you cook yourself.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567