Recipe Ideas for frugal people
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipe Ideas for frugal people

Recipe Ideas for frugal people

I had spaghetti with red lentils and pasta sauce last night. It tasted good - the lentils just bulked up the sauce. Cheap too! If you like whole wheat pasta, Safeway has something called Eating Right (I think that is what it is called) it is a larger size then the Catelli brand and cheaper.

Any other recipe ideas for frugal people?

Go to Bulk Barn for non-perishable stuff. More easily portioned and easier on your wallet. I often get Cheerios from them, refilling the same box for only half price. Same with whole wheat pasta, etc. Biggest thing I've learned is to stay away from that place when hungry or you'll buy a whole whack of junk food while you're there! That was a sticker shock.... :S

But some stuff at Bulk Barn is more expensive than buying it at the supermarket! You need to know your costs/kg from the supermarket before you go to Bulk Barn.

I like making big pots of food in my crockpot and then portioning it out into servings and freezing it for later use. I make a lot of bean-based dishes which are quite inexpensive.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Rice can go a long way.

You can make a large amount of rice, then in a wok, stir-fry (make fried rice) using seasonings, misc veggies and/or meat, and eggs. Add more eggs for more filling. Goes a long way, and very cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by james4beach View Post
    Rice can go a long way.

You can make a large amount of rice, then in a wok, stir-fry (make fried rice) using seasonings, misc veggies and/or meat, and eggs. Add more eggs for more filling. Goes a long way, and very cheap.
    +1.

We eat rice almost every day (and I realize this may not be for everyone due to cultural and social reasons). We usually mix some barley, beans, lentils in with the rice for more nutrition. Rice goes well with almost everything, we usually make 1 main dish, 1 pot of soup and have some side dishes and Bob's your uncle.

Leftovers to bring for lunch the day after as well.

Bon Appetit!

Anything dried and in bulk.

Beans and rice is super cheap and if made correctly pretty tasty.

I find stocking up on the big sales, and working meal around that. Try repurposing items and not wasting anything.

For example, I will buy a smoke pork shoulder bone in, for $1 a lb. I will roast it for my big meal. Left overs will be cubed for as a protein add in such as rice, pasta salad, ect. I take the bone and simmer with dried split peas and make split pea soup, and add a little more if the diced ham. I will get at least 4 meals for our family plus leftovers at lunch for the $14 pork shoulder. Most of the other ingredients I usually have as staples.

Anytime you have left over scraps of meats, veggies, pasta, throw them in a bag in the freezer. When you have enough add it all into a soup. Make sure the items you are throwing in the bag doesn't have heavy sauces.

Soups and stews are generally very frugal meals.

We make the best stocks out of bones (we carve the meat off before serving) or washed vegetable peelings.

Before using oranges, lemons or limes, we zest then first and then freeze.

Costco.
    Just don't get tempted to spend more than you normally would.

Costco is not always cheaper. Hey have great consistent quality, by just like very where else you need to know tHe unit costs.

I like the recipes on Budget Bytes. I'm not a good cook so I like her easy-to-follow steps. She includes the price (USD) of all her ingredients.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast