Recipe Ideas for frugal people - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Recipe Ideas for frugal people

Super Moderator
    I made a frugal yet amazing meal tonight and wanted to share... I got the shrimp at a good price. Those small sized shrimp can be pretty affordable.

Garlic shrimp

Dice garlic and sautee in a wok
    Butter
    Shrimp
    Garlic salt
    udon noodles
    oregono flakes
    olive oil
    sesame oil - perhaps (I'm addicted to this stuff)

Probably not the most frugal thing on earth, but I still consider this a win!

^ It's definitely a win when enjoyed. But I would skip the butter if using olive oil and use garlic salt sparsely since the shrimps would be naturally sea-salty if not farm raised version. This would save a couple of cents too - in which case I would throw in a veggie, onions, green pepper, or peas?
    Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized.-A. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by james4beach View Post
    I made a frugal yet amazing meal tonight and wanted to share... I got the shrimp at a good price. Those small sized shrimp can be pretty affordable.
    Probably not the most frugal thing on earth, but I still consider this a win!
    Following a similar idea james - try this (but substitute some other smoked fish - eel is difficult to get and not in great shape). I've used smoked salmon and it's been pretty great but you could use almost anything:

http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/r...d-pangrattato/

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Here's a guy who lives frugally in a mobile home and is a gourmet cook. His YouTube channel is excellent and his website has PDFs of all the recipes.

http://www.white-trash-cooking.com

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaver101 View Post
    ^ It's definitely a win when enjoyed. But I would skip the butter if using olive oil and use garlic salt sparsely since the shrimps would be naturally sea-salty if not farm raised version. This would save a couple of cents too - in which case I would throw in a veggie, onions, green pepper, or peas?
    That's a good point. When I originally cooked this I didn't use olive oil and that occurred to me only later, so you might be right ... skip butter, just use olive oil.

I didn't realize that the shrimps are naturally salty. That's a good point on the salt, I could emphasize garlic powder which is a non salted one.

Saltier thing is a myth. If you are cooking like that you definitely want to use fresh garlic. Garlic powder has it's place but this is not one of those times.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567