Recipe Ideas for frugal people - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipe Ideas for frugal people

Quote Originally Posted by HaroldCrump View Post
    Unless you are buying products in those "other places" that are sourced, prepared, and paid for very differently, chances are you are simply over-paying for the same crap.
    I was more referring to how they treat their employes - I think that's important and i'm not so poor that I am unable to use my consumer votes to support such a model.

Lowest price isn't my only consideration when I purchase things.

Although I'm certain you won't read it (I'm sure you'll ironically claim it as some pseudoscience or something else nonsensical) here are some insights comparing the Costco model to the Walmart model.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...n-the-world#p1

Of particular interest:
    "Despite the sagging economy and challenges to the industry, Costco pays its hourly workers an average of $20.89 an hour, not including overtime (vs. the minimum wage of $7.25 an hour). By comparison, Walmart said its average wage for full-time employees in the U.S. is $12.67 an hour, according to a letter it sent in April to activist Ralph Nader. Eighty-eight percent of Costco employees have company-sponsored health insurance; Walmart says that “more than half” of its do. Costco workers with coverage pay premiums that amount to less than 10 percent of the overall cost of their plans. It treats its employees well in the belief that a happier work environment will result in a more profitable company. “I just think people need to make a living wage with health benefits,” says Jelinek. “It also puts more money back into the economy and creates a healthier country. It’s really that simple.”

Last edited by none; 2013-06-07 at 01:39 PM.

Super Moderator
    I read it, still not seeing what the problem with Walmart is in that comparison ???

Basically Walmart pays their employees so poorly that many have to rely on social assistance as well to survive. I think this is a gross misuse of tax payer money (effectively subsidizing Walmart, a 450 billion dollar company).

I'd rather support a company where the CEO is suitably compensated and employees are paid a living wage.

Also I find the US walmart selling guns for children repugnant and disgusting.

I don't want any association whatsoever with things like this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3189828.html
    Last edited by none; 2013-06-07 at 03:35 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by none View Post
    Basically Walmart pays their employees so poorly that many have to rely on social assistance as well to survive. I think this is a gross misuse of tax payer money (effectively subsidizing Walmart, a 450 billion dollar company).

I'd rather support a company where the CEO is suitably compensated and employees are paid a living wage.

+1! (Too bad this board doesn't have a 'like' button for posts.)

Super Moderator
    From what *I see*, Walmart hires many first time workers (i.e. kids) that get their first job experience there. This can't be said for the Costco's I've seen and I go to three different ones here. I also work with a previous Costco employee and while he says the pay and conditions are good, you have a very tough time getting in there full time. Most of the regular grocery store chains are the same as Walmart, many part-time employees to keep the costs down. A good place to get a first job but you don't want to stay employed there for life.

Quote Originally Posted by cainvest View Post
    From what *I see*, Walmart hires many first time workers (i.e. kids) that get their first job experience there. This can't be said for the Costco's I've seen and I go to three different ones here. I also work with a previous Costco employee and while he says the pay and conditions are good, you have a very tough time getting in there full time. Most of the regular grocery store chains are the same as Walmart, many part-time employees to keep the costs down. A good place to get a first job but you don't want to stay employed there for life.
    It's hard to get into costco full time for the simple reason is that it's a great job that pays well. Hence they have great employee loyalty and retention.

Many companies subscribe to the 'race to the bottom' for prices. I don't really want underpaid, untrained disgruntled employees handling my food (particularly in the meat department). I'd rather pay what ultimately results in a minuscule premium for added food safety and which increases the middle class. I think it's the least I can do for my family and society as a whole. you can think of it as a self directed benefit tax.

Super Moderator

I don't want any association whatsoever with things like this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3189828.html
    Uhhh, this has absolutely nothing to do with Walmart ... not sure why you put this here???

Where do you think they bought the gun?

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/03/news...ren/index.html

I will not support a company that sells guns for children. No way in hell.

Super Moderator
    Where do you think they bought the gun?

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/03/news...ren/index.html

I will not support a company that sells guns for children. No way in hell.
    Well, your call ... but I see this as the parents fault not Walmart. Should people stop buying steel and wood from the companies that sold those resources to make the gun as well ... where do you stop with the blame?

Quote Originally Posted by cainvest View Post
    Well, your call ... but I see this as the parents fault not Walmart. Should people stop buying steel and wood from the companies that sold those resources to make the gun as well ... where do you stop with the blame?
    I see it as a fault of both (but especially the parents who I think should be charged with negligence). Also why I don't bank with HSBC. I'm not going to be involved with a company that helps/has helped drug runners and people involved in human trafficking. No thanks.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast