Recipe Ideas for frugal people - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipe Ideas for frugal people

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugging Along View Post
    Costco is not always cheaper. Hey have great consistent quality, by just like very where else you need to know tHe unit costs.
    Correct, Costco is not always cheaper.
    I shop Costco once a week which generally follows their sale rotation. 90% of the items I buy are the sale items that fit my food staples category so I stock up a little, e.g. 3 boxes of cereal instead of 1. Usually these sale items are priced very low, 20-40% below normal Costco prices and almost always cheaper than other store sales. Do watch out though, some of the items get close to their expiry dates, likely the reason they blow them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudd View Post
    But some stuff at Bulk Barn is more expensive than buying it at the supermarket! You need to know your costs/kg from the supermarket before you go to Bulk Barn.

I like making big pots of food in my crockpot and then portioning it out into servings and freezing it for later use. I make a lot of bean-based dishes which are quite inexpensive.
    Just like every other purchase, do your research! For a lot of the stuff that I normally buy in grocery stores, it's actually cheaper at bulk barn (especially as I'm only cooking for myself). In addition, if you only need a small amount of baking stuff to purchase one item a year, bulk barn will help prevent that food waste (also another issue for most folks!).

As far as recipe ideas. My lame fried rice.
    Cook the rice with chicken stock.
    Use ground pork, fry it, add a few scrambled eggs and some green onion.
    Splash with soy sauce.

The other thing I do is splurge on sauces, and use sauce and spice along with the cheap vegetables and "stir fry/saute" them. Throw in lots of tofu or cheap meat and you're set. Some cheap cuts of meat are pretty decent if you cut them thing.

The other one is chicken legs or halves, BBQ or oven roasted it's a cheap meat, and tasty. Add wood chips and a bit of smoke and you won't be missing out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by smrtalec View Post
    I like the recipes on Budget Bytes. I'm not a good cook so I like her easy-to-follow steps. She includes the price (USD) of all her ingredients.
    That looks quite a good site. Thanks.

A bunch of homemade pizzas. The dough or naan bread is not that expensive, you can buy a bunch of that stuff for a couple of bucks, and then your veggie toppings. Probably a few healthy meals for <$10.
    Hidden Content - Working on a $1 million portfolio and $30k per year from it.

Quote Originally Posted by My Own Advisor View Post
    A bunch of homemade pizzas. The dough or naan bread is not that expensive, you can buy a bunch of that stuff for a couple of bucks, and then your veggie toppings. Probably a few healthy meals for <$10.
    we do this with naan bread, it works really well.

Walmart is cheaper than costco. We actually buy gluten free pasta there. Its the best gluten free pasta I have tried and its the cheapest.
    We have to drive a couple hours to get to Walmart but prices are significantly cheaper than the local Safeway.

Quote Originally Posted by My Own Advisor View Post
    I'm actually throwing a pizza party tonight!

Pizza dough is rediculously easy to make. 2 cups water, some honey, salt, 4-ish cups of flour or until it is just barely pulling from the edge of the bowl. Easy peasy (throw in kitchen aid for 5 minutes, use 1/4 tsp of yeast and let rise overnight). BOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkdog View Post
    we do this with naan bread, it works really well.

Walmart is cheaper than costco. We actually buy gluten free pasta there. Its the best gluten free pasta I have tried and its the cheapest.
    We have to drive a couple hours to get to Walmart but prices are significantly cheaper than the local Safeway.
    I find Walmart's business model offensive on many levels. I gladly pay marginally more at other places to not support their crappy business model.

I just hate the checkouts at Wal-Mart's. Never enough cashiers, always a long wait. Never bothered to buy food there.

Quote Originally Posted by none View Post
    I find Walmart's business model offensive on many levels. I gladly pay marginally more at other places to not support their crappy business model.
    Unless you are buying products in those "other places" that are sourced, prepared, and paid for very differently, chances are you are simply over-paying for the same crap.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast