Altagas Ltd (ALA.TO) - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Altagas Ltd (ALA.TO)

Quote Originally Posted by gibor365 View Post
    Sorry, don't really understand your point . If , for example, I buy subscription shares, couldn't I sell it after settlement date (Feb 3)? Isn't price for subscription and common are the same?
    You can sell the subscription shares anytime you want but to someone else who wants the subscription shares, and at the price they are willing to give you for them. Until they are converted they are not exactly the same shares. The sub shares carry with them the risk that the deal may not go through and the value they would retain at that moment will be the original subscription price...not the price they trade at in the market.

Obviously you and others come to these boards to pick up on these things but if I can add a suggestion. Never assume anything. If you are going to participate in an IPO or secondary offerings, you really need to read those offering documents and understand what they mean now and in the future. It will save you money and it will make you money from the investors that do not do this. There are a lot of them, but Goldman Sachs will usually take their money before you and I can get at it...but not always.

Good luck.

You might value in the expected dividends the SRs might earn, in addition to the original subscription price. Dividends paid before they either convert or buy-back the SRs should be paid on the SRs. Messing up their dividends would be a bad move for these guys, so I expect they would keep to the usual schedule.

good name, keep adding to my position, I expect this thing to be in the high 30's in the mid of 2018

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Just picked up some ALA.R this morning.One thing to think about ,the "dividends" that the receipts generate are part interest and will not be taxed as favorably as regular shares.Keep that in mind in an unregistered account.

Quote Originally Posted by yyz View Post
    Just picked up some ALA.R this morning.One thing to think about ,the "dividends" that the receipts generate are part interest and will not be taxed as favorably as regular shares.Keep that in mind in an unregistered account.
    Hello guys, I have AQN shares and while checking out, I came upon ALTAGAS and found this thread. I can't find the "subscription shares" in Google finance. is it the ALA-U?
    I see ALA.R.TO in Questrade trading at $29.88 on 09March. Is that it?

I was going to add a bit to my utility dividend paying holdings, how do you compare AQN and ALA for long term holdings? (sorry, didn't mean to steal the thread)
    If the subscription is at this discount price, and will adjust to common shares if successful, I'm willing to take the bet ...

I see ALA.R.TO

Yup that's it

I ran into this stock today. Anyone have any insight? Was thinking about buying some. Trading at $30.98 now.

I own the common shares and like it. The subscription receipts (ALA.R) are a good option as well, especially in registered accounts. It might take 12-18 months for their WGL acquisition to close, so you need a long term time horizon. I would expect the shares to start to pick up 6-9 months out from close as it becomes more certain.

Can someone help me understand the WGL acquisition? Why did they offer double the market cap for WGL? How much synergy can they possibly find?

It seems like they are buying random utilities, all around the continent, when they aren't building new projects... also, all around the continent.

Do they have a focus?
    Last edited by TomB16; 2017-04-29 at 09:11 PM.

It was only a 12 percent premiuum to WGL's closing price (not double). Still, I think the deal stinks and is a major distraction to ALA's focus/strategies in the west. Other shareholders don't like it either given where ALA shares have traded since the announcement. I'll probably hold on to my ALA shares and collect the dividend until (and if) there is a bump in ALA's stock price when the deal closes. I have no interest in owning an Atlantic seaboard utility.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast