I'm a CPP expert. Any questions? - Page 47
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Thread: I'm a CPP expert. Any questions?

Hi Dogger:

I asked a question about CPP disability back in Nov 2016 and this is a technical question about the condensed disability form for individuals with a terminal illness - specifically question 10b dealing with children. This young couple has an infant child. The young man has advanced cancer. He is a freelance writer who works from home. His spouse does not work. They share the duties of caregiving for the child.

Question 10b asks "Were you the prime caregiver for these children from birth until age 7?" I'm not sure how to answer this. If the answer is "No" I have to list any periods of time he was not the primary caregiver and explain why. I'm not sure how to deal with this. He was a primary caregiver but not the primary caregiver.

Your opinion would be appreciated.

[QUOTE=RussT;1486721]Hi Dogger:

I asked a question about CPP disability back in Nov 2016 and this is a technical question about the condensed disability form for individuals with a terminal illness
    QUOTE]

RussT - This question is intended to identify which parent is eligible to claim the child-rearing dropout. It is usually claimed by the female parent unless she was clearly the higher wage-earner and the male parent was clearly the primary caregiver. I'd probably recommend just leaving that whole question blank for him.
    Accurate CPP estimates at Hidden Content or by email to Hidden Content

Would like more info

Quote Originally Posted by Dogger1953 View Post
    I worked for CPP for more than 32 years, and have recently retired.

I'd like to share my knowledge if you have any questions, especially around the calculation of CPP benefits.
    Hi,
    I am 56 and thinking of retirement, would like to get an accurate assessment of how much cpp I would receive.
    Can you give me your e-mail?

Thanks,
    Patrick

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kabby View Post
    Hi,
    I am 56 and thinking of retirement, would like to get an accurate assessment of how much cpp I would receive.
    Can you give me your e-mail?

Thanks,
    Patrick
    Here is Doug's contact info page, from his website:

http://www.drpensions.ca/contact-dr-pensions.html

[QUOTE=heyjude;1495097]Here is Doug's contact info page, from his website:

Thanks heyjude.

Patrick

When can I stop contributing and still be eligible for maximum CPP benefit

Hi Dogger,
    I have a question. I will turn 65 on Aug.1.
    I am self employed and incorporated. I would like to be eligible for my maximum CPP benefit. I have been working since 1978 and making maximum CPP contributions since 1983. My question is should I make a contribution this year ie the year I am turning 65, or would I be wiser to simply pay myself a dividend from my corporation and save myself the money I would be contributing to the CPP (as I am both the employee and the employer)?
    Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oca2dja View Post
    Hi Dogger,
    I have a question. I will turn 65 on Aug.1.
    I am self employed and incorporated. I would like to be eligible for my maximum CPP benefit. I have been working since 1978 and making maximum CPP contributions since 1983. My question is should I make a contribution this year ie the year I am turning 65, or would I be wiser to simply pay myself a dividend from my corporation and save myself the money I would be contributing to the CPP (as I am both the employee and the employer)?
    Many thanks
    You need 39 years of max earnings to get a max CPP, so it doesn't sound like you'll quite get there. On the other hand, since you do already have 39 years of some level of earnings, making max contributions in 2017 may not increase your CPP all that much. I'd need to see your entire contributory record to CPP in order to quantify the cost/benefit, but I think I'd lean towards recommending dividends for 2017.

Accurate CPP estimates at Hidden Content or by email to Hidden Content

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647