Canadian Money Forum banner

*** Scams Alert! ***

200K views 258 replies 61 participants last post by  Beaver101 
#1 · (Edited)
Reactions: Sucregirl
#123 ·
With LastPass, not all websites will let LastPass auto-generate passwords (or maybe it is the other way around). In any event, LastPass couldn't auto-generate an acceptable new password this morning.

#124 ·
Just checked the total number of my passwords in Keepass and I have 118, which includes routers, WAPs, & Linux and Windows logons. It's beyond the point where anyone can handle this without some kind of password manager software. They need to come up with a better technology solution.

#128 · (Edited)
Many of the binary options frauds are originating from Israel, where regulators and politicians have promised new laws banning binary-options trading. The Jersusalem-based Times of Israel website has recently done lengthy investigative reports on the frauds, reporting hundreds of websites are based in Israel, including 23Traders.com that targeted Mr. Turbide.
The BAIT AND SWITCH TECHNIQUE and your naeivty and greed gets you every time!
Initially, Mr. Roy was given $100 of free money in his online account, and was told his first two trades were winners. The company then asked for his credit card number, and offered him a bonus depending how much he was willing to invest.
Frankly, I'm not surprised with fraud and scams on rise these days. You take some fraudsters advice who you never met or even can prove his identity and where he is from..
well then sucker... you should be familiar then with the old Nigerian scam
and some of it's refinements on the dating sites.

ONE THING TO REMEMBER AND KEEP In the back of your head.."IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE and you are promised huge investment rewards..IT USUALLY IS!

The recent "cannabis stocks" thread on this forum is another example...a "pitchman" opens up a thread to engage possible interest in their scheme...
...you bet your life savings in the hope of getting rich..and you could lose your shirt because there isn't any regulations in Canada to preven investment fraud especially in foreign countries like ISRAEL

The best way to avoid becoming victimized by fraud is to learn how investment scammers operate. Here’s what to look out for, from the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada:
You’re promised high returns with no risk. A security with a high potential return is seldom free of risk.
You’re contacted by someone you don’t know. Legitimate advisers offering legitimate investments don’t approach strangers for money.
You’re asked to act fast, because this is a “once in a lifetime” opportunity.
You’re asked to keep the matter secret.
You’re asked to sign forms or proxies in advance.
You’re being subjected to pressure sales tactics and are made to feel guilty if you hesitate to invest.
You’re told your securities could be resold or exchanged above their market value provided you pay fees in advance.
Financial transactions are carried out without your consent.
You’re told that a regulatory agency has “approved” an investment. Regulatory organizations never give an opinion on the quality of an investment.

#131 · (Edited)
Revenue Canada (CRA) is still the official Revenue ministry of gov't and they can be trusted...

HOWEVER.. with the advent of social media, and the internet,
any " UNSOLICITED"calls you receive these days claiming to be a gov't dept HAS to be verified.

Banks too, because scammers are using false identities in emails to try and convince
the recepients that they are legitimate.

Simple thing to do today in today's computerized world is to open a OFFICIAL CRA ACCOUNT where ALL of your personal and financial information is kept with 2-3 levels of security. (unique password, special questions with answers only you know and a special indentification symbol.
If you receive a call saying you owe money to the CRA,
you can call us or check My Account to be sure.
It took only four hours, and six trips to two different drugstores to buy iTunes cards, for Toronto resident "Lucy" to plunge $25,000 into the red — a debt she is struggling to pay off. (W5)
Now you really got to be naive to think that CRA wants what you "owe" paid in itunes cards. yep..there are suckers born every minute they say..and for scammers 1 hit in
10,000 for them is still worthwhile practicing their fraud.

If you receive a call from someone pretending they are CRA(or an email), go to your CRA account and send CRA a message to request what it is about?

Everyone should read this!
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/scrty/frdprvntn/menu-eng.html

#137 ·
why what's wrong with it?

"JJPTR was created to provide you with the opportunity to multiply your income in a safe and modern way."
I prefer the old fashioned way but hey I'll give modern a try.

"1 How much profit (%) can I earn every month as an investor?
You can earn a fixed 20% of your investment every month as Investor Incentive."

Secretly was hoping for 24% but I guess it'll do.

"Our all trades are run by several of our specially selected proprietary Expert Advisors (EA) under very close monitoring by our team of experts and experienced traders. "

proprietary Expert Advisors are a nice touch

"As like all other investment programs in the market today, JJPTR does not guarantee its investment ventures."

Wait no guarantee who cares I'm still in

#139 · (Edited)
Sleazy scam perpretrated by Niagara Falls businesses and hotels.

Extra tourist trap tax charged on restaurant and hotel bills that no one seems to know what it's really for.

Ontario Tourism minister claims her office has nothing to do with this extra tax..and for Marketplace to go check with the mayor of Niagara Falls.
When interviewed by CBC Marketplace, he claimed he had nothing to do with this extra tax and doesn't know what it's for.
SCAM or Gouging?

Some business charge anywhere from 3% to 5% to 7% to as much as 10% on top of the total bill.
Some business claim it's "voluntary", others claim it" "mandatory".

TIF or DMF OR NFDT?
It appears that Niagara Falls is ripping off the tourists, but then what does one expect from visiting a tourist trap?

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2015-2016/dmf-hospitaltv

#141 ·
Sleazy scam perpretrated by Niagara Falls businesses and hotels.

Extra tourist trap tax charged on restaurant and hotel bills that no one seems to know what it's really for.

Ontario Tourism minister claims her office has nothing to do with this extra tax..and for Marketplace to go check with the mayor of Niagara Falls.
When interviewed by CBC Marketplace, he claimed he had nothing to do with this extra tax and doesn't know what it's for.
SCAM or Gouging?

Some business charge anywhere from 3% to 5% to 7% to as much as 10% on top of the total bill.
Some business claim it's "voluntary", others claim it" "mandatory".

TIF or DMF OR NFDT?
It appears that Niagara Falls is ripping off the tourists, but then what does one expect from visiting a tourist trap?

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episo...globally, whether in the US, Caribbeans, etc.

#147 ·
^ Perfect timing from your link -
Taxpayers beware: CRA email rebate scam on the rise this tax season
As for the
Interestingly, the scammer was willing to berate an RCMP officer for "interfering".
... the scammer doesn't know what's going to him/her. The Canadian Mounties should work twice as hard to bash out these scammers given who they're impersonating.

#148 · (Edited)
... As for the ... the scammer doesn't know what's going to him/her.
If you read the article, the lady that was about to lose money a second time was receiving harassing calls for not following through on the second swindle.

... Mecher told the woman to ask the fraudster to contact him.
He was floored when the man actually did, presenting himself as David Carter from the CRA.
It is not clear if the scammer knew that the contact was the police but it is clear that the scammer had to make the call.
Otherwise, it would be a random call running the scam instead of about the interference.

... The Canadian Mounties should work twice as hard to bash out these scammers given who they're impersonating.
Without help in the source country, not much can be done. Even where there is help and charges in progress, some countries have about ten to fifteen years before the court will get to it.

Cheers

#151 ·
^^^^

What do you suggest?

The RCMP scan all your calls and cut them off if they think it is a scammer?

Unless it's someone within their legal reach (or countries band together to root them out), education seems the most effective.

Cheers
... I don't know what to suggest as I ain't no anti- fraud or anti-crime expert and as for 'education' (for the public) seems to be most effective - is it? Are fraud cases declining?

#155 ·
Got this phishing scam email today. Purportedly from Paypal. Quite authentic looking, I must say, but obviously a phishing scam. The email address from which it came gives it away, if nothing else. (PayPal <test@tv.ctk.ne.jp>).Be careful out there folks!

Text Font Line Number Document

#160 ·
Got this phishing scam email today. Purportedly from Paypal. Quite authentic looking, I must say, but obviously a phishing scam. The email address from which it came gives it away, if nothing else. (PayPal <test@tv.ctk.ne.jp>).Be careful out there folks!

View attachment 17290
Looks convincing on the surface, but the repetitive nature of the text, plus the spelling and grammatical errors would be surprising if it were truly from PayPal.

https://mindyourdecisions.com/blog/2015/05/19/why-are-email-scams-so-obviously-bad-game-theory-tuesdays/

#157 ·
Looks like there is a major fraud event happening today. My wife's sister got a call yesterday from BMO to say that they detected a fraudulent e-transfer of ~ $1400 from her chequing account from a location outside Canada. I talked to a person at her local BMO branch regarding her online password, since I do her online banking for her. The person at BMO said they are experiencing a large number of similar incidents at her branch and her contacts at other banks say the same is happening to them all across Canada. She is located in South Western Ontario. It appears to be related to debit cards.

#161 ·
I would recommend enabling email/sms notification on all your banking accounts if your institution supports that. Scotiabank supports this and I use the feature. I receive an emails every time there's a movement in my accounts/credit cards and it's almost instantaneous. Easy way to catch inconsistencies right away. It would also be very useful if Canadian banks adopt a dual factor authentication (and I am not talking about the security question feature) upon every login. SMS/APP based second factor would help a lot.

On the other hand, I thought Interac eTransfer only works for Canadian Accounts, i.e. the money must be deposited back into a Canadian bank account. Not sure what the following means: "detected a fraudulent e-transfer of ~ $1400 from her chequing account from a location outside Canada."

#159 ·
Not sure if it's necessarily related to debit cards, that was just speculation on the part of the BMO person. Another funny thing. There was a transfer of $100 from her MasterCard to her chequing account at the same time. That implies they must have been able to access her online account somehow which is even more worrisome. Why would they do such a thing? Perhaps just testing to see if they could? BMO charged $5.00 for that transaction. Anyway the good news is that BMO will make her whole again including reversing the $5.00 charge, but the whole experience has left me a little more concerned about the security of the banking system. A guess when it hits close to home, the impact becomes more personal.

#164 ·
#165 ·
Man, can't keep up.
Yeah, phone scammers are the scum of the earth.

Myself, I have my home phone set to ring a special ring if I know the person who's calling. Pretty much every phone system has that feature - nothing special, it just matches the number to the contacts list in the phone.

If I don't get the special ring, I don't answer the phone. I don't even have to go to the phone to see who's calling if the ring isn't the special one.

Like everyone else I have call answer, so if that un-special person really wants to contact me, they can leave a message. If it's a scammer and they leave some silly alarmist message, I can then check out the appropriate web site such as CRA, etc and determine if it's a scam.

If everyone followed those simple rules, there would be 0% successful scamming and it would stop.

ltr

#168 ·
Oh scammers; running haywire. Some of them are just plain extortion. They lock down your PC until you pay them for the key. Something called ransomware. One reason I don't use Windows any more.

Ubuntu is better in terms of security afaik.
I never understood the ransomeware scam. Why wouldn't you just format your drive and reload Windows, and then load your documents and data from your backup USB stick?

ltr