Canadian Money Forum banner

Valeant Pharmaceuticals (VRX.TO, VRX)

95K views 356 replies 55 participants last post by  doctrine 
#1 ·
i can't believe there's no existing thread on this formerly canadian pharma. But i searched & there wasn't.

does anybody hold this ? i've held vrx since its previous biovail incarnation. Stk has gone to the moon. From 11-12 to north of 60. Every year i sell 200-300 shares, then buy em back in a campaign to gradually increase the cost base ... so that capital gains arising from an eventual disposition will not be too painful.

co is long past its old biovail welbutrin days, now focuses on neurological products, pipeline is promising but earnings nowhere support share price. There are analysts who won't touch VRX because they see a funny story, funny as in bizarre, distorted & possibly alarming.

some class vrx as a canadian pharma but it is not. The overtaking company in the alleged "merger" of biovail & US valeant was valeant, by far the bigger of the 2 & a relentless acquisition addict. Valeant took over toronto's sleepy biovail because it wanted to acquire - for corporate taxation purposes - biovail's nominal offshore head office in bermuda.

#4 ·
still holding here but it's too good to be true.

let's list the cons:

- PE north of 250.

- stories about cowboy acquisition strategy usually do not work out well in long run because cowboys are not good at running a peaceful & productive pharm

anything else?

#5 ·
seasonallity of stock will run out of steam after week 16

free monthly & weekly seasonality power bar @ blashing.com has the stock running ot of strong seasonality just after week 16

Jan +3
Feb +6
Mar 0
April +3
May 0
June +1
July -1
Aug 0
Sept +2
Oct 0
Dec +4

#6 ·
wolf something practical would be nice :peach: not latest oracular utterances from zarathrustra

back to basics, does anybody know what could be wrong w valeant, aka why we should sell now while stk is sky-high?

apart from the fact that the american CEO of VRX is seriously overweight which was a reason i got out of RIM/RIMM when i saw what was happening quite long time ago to plumpie puffster mike lazarides.

#7 ·
Seems like all the aquisitions are derm and athetics, drug classes not as controlled by our lovely government and an area of growth for GP's looking to increase income with patient paid drugs. Also good area of growth with aging weathy boomers who want wrinkles reduced and have the cash to pay $700 every two months for injections into their faces.

As for a fat CEO I never trust a skinny chef and maybe that can apply to CEO as well.

#9 ·
taxes this stock was $11-12 not that long ago, back in the biovail day. There has to be something going on with this story. Stocks don't go to the moon like this for no reason.

maybe VRX does have good prospective market of rich boomers who'll personally pay for anti-ageing maybe even anti-alzheimers products that health care systems won't pay for. Maybe VRX is about to buy bausch & lomb. Goody for them. But i still don't see how the fundamentals are justifying this moon rocket.

hmmnn the real story might be one of manipulation ... no sign of this yet ... but i'll be looking out for a good story ...

#13 ·
Have you done a thorough reassesment of the stock lately? If the fundamentals are no longer the same from when you purchased and it makes you feel uneasy then keep taking a profit like you're doing and maybe more so.You know what they say... Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful! And no one ever went broke taking a profit :D

#17 ·
i still have all my shares, except for the 50 i donated to a charity recently.

but i've been a somewhat skeptical shareholder for a long time. It's my spidey sense. There's too much potential for offshore "business." This is why valeant of california bought dumpy little biovail of mississauga. To acquire the caribbean head office which biovail happened to possess. Apparently there are US laws that presently restrict US corporations from moving offshore, unless they have already done so.

my VRX shares have risen something like 1100%. I don't mind the $125,000 paper capital gain. But i'll be watching the ongoing story with interest.

here's a clue about what's looks awry with this company:

“Unless you aim high, you don’t achieve high,” [VRX ceo Michael] Pearson said. “How we get there, we can’t say at this time.”

#20 ·
ow ow ow

i still have all my shares

i wonder about all those business centres in the balkans, though. Plenty funny money in the balkans. I mean why do they need marketing centres & manufacturing facilities in all of those east european states?

#22 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.