Canadian Money Forum banner

Tenants "Fighting" with each other

26K views 100 replies 34 participants last post by  kcowan 
#1 ·
So, one tenant gets up at 6am for work. (We'll call him Jack)

The other tenant usually doesn't get home from work until 12am. (We'll call him Bob)

The problem is that the tenant who gets home at 12am (Bob) has been watching tv or having people over until the morning hours, 2am, 4am, etc.

The other tenant (Jack) cannot sleep due to the tv/conversation noise.

Jack and Bob have talked about this, but Jack is still not happy because Bob is making too much noise. Jack suggested to Bob that maybe he could use headphones at night when watching tv. It seems like Bob doesn't care all that much. Now, I must sit down with both of them and discuss this situation like I'm a glorified baby sitter.

Jack is the better tenant, so I want to ensure that he is happy.

What are my solutions?

I am thinking the best approach would be to tell them both off (politely, and professionally, of course) and tell them that everyone must be considerate of one another and that if Bob wants to watch tv at 4am, he should get headphones, and that if Jack can't sleep due to noise, he should get earplugs.

Remember.... I want to keep Jack happy. Suggestions?

See less See more
#4 ·
I don't blame Mike for asking. Your last thread didn't make it clear.

This sounds like a failure of your tenant screening process. If you're running a rooming house (especially one you also live in), you need to do more work in ensuring the tenants are compatible.

Dealing with the drama is a big reason I wouldn't want to do it myself.

#6 ·
I have to agree with Andrew regarding the tenant selection process. Although I have to admit that it's 20-20 hindsight from me. I hadn't really thought of issues with tenants having different work schedules. It should work if both tenants are respectful of one another.

I think your plan to talk to them individually is good. Maybe laying down specific rules would help?

Ie no tv (without headphones) after a certain hour and no visitors (other than maybe gfriend) after 10 pm.

Bottom line is that from your post it appears that Bob is the problem. Give him a (short) chance to change and ask him to leave if he doesn't. It might not be fair that he can't do the same things after work that Jack can, but that's just the way it goes. He needs to rent in a house with people with similar schedules or rent a separate apartment.

#7 ·
Hi KaeJS

Couple thoughts:

Is Bob watching TV/having people over in the common area (living room/rec room) or in his bedroom. If a common area, is Jack’s bedroom close to this area or is he being overly sensitive? Do you also live in this house? – Is Bob’s noise bothering you? I assume there’s not a different bedroom that Jack could switch to?

If Bob’s watching TV etc in his bedroom could you get him to switch to a different part of the house or vice versa?

If Jack’s bedroom is close to the common areas, do you plan to rent out that bedroom long term? If so have you considered taking additional steps to try to sound proof it? Additional layers of drywall (double drywall), ensuring there is insulation in the (interior) walls separating the rooms? Ensured the bedroom door is a solid (wood) door instead of a hollow particle board door? (Even just switching out the door might help improve Jack’s view of the situation (assuming it was a hollow door) since it shows that you’re taking steps to remedy the situation for him, and may incline him to be more accepting of using ear plugs as well.

You could also consider building a more sound proof wall shown here: http://siteimages.soundisolationstore.com/upload/image/staggeredstud.gif

Or you could consider using resilient channels on one side of the wall, or quiet rock.

Depending on what solution you choose (and assuming your somewhat handy) you could easily complete this in under a week.

Would having them switch rooms, or you switch rooms with one of them improve the situation/ be acceptable?

What I would do in this situation would highly depend on my long term plans, as well as how long term you expect these current tenants to be. If say Bob was close to moving out, I might try to offer him an incentive to move out early. You could also offer Jack a slight discount for having to use ear plugs.

#11 ·
Hi KaeJS

Couple thoughts:

Is Bob watching TV/having people over in the common area (living room/rec room) or in his bedroom. If a common area, is Jack’s bedroom close to this area or is he being overly sensitive? Do you also live in this house? – Is Bob’s noise bothering you? I assume there’s not a different bedroom that Jack could switch to?

If Bob’s watching TV etc in his bedroom could you get him to switch to a different part of the house or vice versa?

If Jack’s bedroom is close to the common areas.......

You could also offer Jack a slight discount for having to use ear plugs.
Bob is watching TV/Having people over in his room. Not in the common area. I could have him try the common area, as Jack's room is upstairs.

Yes, I live in the house, as well.

Nobody else notices the noise except for Jack.

There is no other room for Jack or Bob to move to.

I could offer a slight discount for having to use ear plugs, but I feel like that is a poor solution. I lose income and Jack will probably still not be happy. But I guess it's worth a try. I rather just tell him to use ear plugs and not give a discount.

#8 ·
Most folks get up at or around 6:00 am to go to work.
Jack is not the only one.

On the other hand, if Bob wants to party till 4:00 am, he needs a separate accomodation for himself.
Shared accomodation is not for him.
If he wants a lifestyle like that, he has to be willing to pay for it.

His style may not even work in an apartment (neighbors will complain).
Perhaps he needs to buy a large single detached home for $650K.

#10 ·
I am thinking the best approach would be to tell them both off (politely, and professionally, of course)....Remember.... I want to keep Jack happy. Suggestions?
Wrong!

You want to keep Jack happy because he's not the inconsiderate person, so you need to just speak to Bob.

Btw, how can you tell-off an innocent person in a polite & professional manner? LOL. :rolleyes2:

Everything that Harold said is +1. :biggrin:

Good luck!

#14 ·
It goes without saying that a tenant has a reasonable expectation & a right to privacy in their room, but also the right to sleep & let others sleep without noise exceeding reasonable limits.

Is Jack an unreasonable light sleeper? Is Bob making noise exceeding what is considered reasonable?

I'm sure people watch t.v. in their own homes/apartments at all hours [day & night], and without disturbing the rest of the house.

#16 ·
I wasn't suggesting Bob has an unrestrained right to make noise, have guests at all hours, etc. However, he *also* has a right to occupy his space and behave in ways he chooses (entertaining guests, etc.) -- that's what he's paying for. I was curious whether the rules had been spelled out when he first rented the space - I assume that'd be a good way to screen prospective tenants: how do they react to the suggestion that they may need to curtail their behaviour due to the needs/preferences of other tenants?

#22 ·
If I could do that, I would. I never wanted to buy the house in the first place.

At any rate... We all talked last night and Bob said he will be leaving January 1. It was Bob's suggestion.

Now I need to find a tenant who matches Jack's (and the rest of the houses) schedule more closely. The two tenants and myself both work full time days, so Bob was the only one who was awake at night.

#18 ·
I live in a condo. and as you know, all have the right to do whatever they like in their own unit, and at any hour, however, there are exceptions & basic rules that we must all follow. For example, no delivery/moving/noisy repairs can be made before 9 a.m. and after 5 p.m.

If B is unfairly depriving J of sleep & unwilling to change, the end result is that one will eventually move out. I certainly could not live in a place where I was unable to get my min. 7 hour beauty sleep.

I suggest a 'mediation arbitration' before odour [like smoking or something else] becomes the next issue. :biggrin:

Maybe you want to take some tips from this article Kae:
http://www.millerthomson.com/assets...ts/issues2/MT_Lets_Talk_Condo_Spring_2012.pdf

#27 ·
Yes.

I did not "have" to buy a house. I could have rented.

But financially, that would not make sense. As andrew indicated, as well, I would have to deal with other people's BS.

#30 ·
I think the problem is you trying to fit to people into a basement suite,your basement is probably only going work with one person,family ect.....are you trying to stretch things with what you have to offer....I understand double rent but is it practical in reality.

#34 ·
Anyone think I should try to make them just "get along", at least for a little while longer? Maybe ask Bob if he's sure he wants to leave, that is, of course, if Jack has dropped his complaints (which he since has....)

I really don't want to lose out on $450 or $500 for the month of January..... It will add disruption to my plan to have my mortgage paid by 35. :hopelessness:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.