Canadian Money Forum banner

Crescent Point Energy (CPG.to)

252K views 733 replies 103 participants last post by  AltaRed 
#1 ·
I currently own some of this stock at book value of $44.97. Love the 23 cent monthly dividend. But with the new acquisition they made (and once again, more stock issuance), their price dropped below $40. I know it's still not the cheapest stock in the world (high P/E ratio, etc.), but I would love to get some opinion on this stock and whether I should consider buying some more now to average down (and waiting while getting paid) or to wait for the price to drop even further. One thing to note is that some analysts have raised the target price of this company. While it's not the most important fact, I find that somewhat interesting. What do you all think?

#82 ·
I'm considering selling and waiting for a breakout above it's trading range. Despite a good oil price, strong results, constant analyst upgrades, bbn hammering the heck out of it with top picks it still can't seem to get anywhere.

7% is OK but i'm looking for much larger gains, especially in todays market.

The only thing holding me back is my recent sales of IPL/PPL/CNQ/PKI have all lead to further 10-15% gains in those stocks... Basically what i'm saying who wants to pay me to sell? :p

#87 ·
The Google finance figures are really not giving the true story.

I know they have previously issued a lot of equity to raise funds for expansion. I know they are fairly low debt. On a free cash flow basis there is plenty available to pay the divi.

I'm more concerned about it going forwards. Will they continue to issue new equity?

#88 ·
I'm more concerned about it going forwards. Will they continue to issue new equity?
That is a sure way to put a ceiling on stock price. Given past history and 3-5 year price charts, I'd suggest an entry point closer to $38 is a better bet than at $40+. I seem to recall someone saying this is a trading stock (buy at $38, sell at $40).

Added: It should eventually break out of this range, but when?

#90 ·
dividend plus call option sales = current return of 9-10%, from a decent company.

return would be even higher if investor were to sell puts as well. Here he'd be pushing 11%. From a decent company.

i'm not looking for big share appreciation, the days when cpg climbed from $22 to $40 are long gone.

company recently said they're done financing for a while. I wouldn't bet the farm. I think management is acquisition-oriented.

#110 ·
Pat, if you are coming back in, I should probably sell. :biggrin: I kid of course.

If the stock price spike hasn't been good enough for my portfolio, I received my $550 dividend today. Very good times for my portfolio, especially my non-registered assets.

Actually starting to get nervous. :hopelessness:

#112 · (Edited)
I bought CPG for its ability to provide a predictable stream of income. Never had any intentions of trading this. But if it gets to $46 I may very well have to reap some capital gains here. But then again, the shares I bought at $36 are paying around 7.4% - I would hate to lose that.

Truly a first world conundrum.

#113 ·
I'm in a bit of the same boat Jon, I also bought solely for the dividends but am tempted to sell at 45.5-46 (if it reachest that) and hold the cash till it becomes lower. But depending on how long that might take I would be missing out on some nice div's. Such hard decisions when something is performing well :)

#114 ·
^ Then you'd kick yourself for selling if it continues to go up and eventually trades in a new range - lets say from $46-58! I've been tempted to do the same (trade the range by selling 1/2 position or so) for a few of my holdings - CPG, COS, etc. but at this point I think I'll simply ride the wave and buy more should the prices come down again. If I held these stocks in a registered account and held a significant position I'd be more inclined to attempt a trade or two - but then it's still somewhat of a coin toss IMO. There's no guarantee that history will repeat itself ;o)