Canadian Money Forum banner

The Ideal Retirement Haven You�ve Never Heard Of

168K views 121 replies 38 participants last post by  gibor365 
#1 ·
The Ideal Retirement Haven You’ve Never Heard Of

Few places in the world meet all the criteria of an ideal retirement haven. Here’s one place that does that most of the world has never heard of: Hua Hin, Thailand.

New arrivals to Hua Hin appreciate the cleanliness of the area, the widespread use of English, the lack of corruption, and the low-cost, high standard of living, all of which make this a very attractive destination for retirees on a moderate budget. A couple could live a fully-appointed, rich, and interesting life here on a budget of as little as $1,100 per month.

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs...e-ideal-retirement-haven-youve-never-heard-of
So all you need is a portfolio of about 250k that yields 5 or 6% and you can retire. If your networth is over 250k and you're still working, maybe it's time to reevaluate things?

#115 ·
I read book "Retire in style : 60 outstanding places across the USA and Canada " , it's not in front of me now, but Kingston was also ranked very high...top 5...
For me Victoria sounds more appealing because of the weather, ocean and mountains are not too far.... The biggest disadvantage - too far to travel to Europe...

#122 ·
As for what to do...there is plenty to do in that area.
It's also closer to the Buffalo airport, in case you want to fly to some other destination in the US.
i didn't notice that "there is plenty to do in that area." :) I live in Mississauga, so I can drive to Buffalo airport 1.5 hours if i want (did it before)...and no real difference in weather between GTA and Niagara towns :)

If "warm" and "Canada" are your retirement criteria, choices are fairly limited other than southern Ontario & BC.
if i also add mountains, ocean, wildlife ... it's practically limited to Victoria area and South of Vancouver :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.