Canadian Money Forum banner

Advanced tracking of investments in Excel - free

12K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  vidm 
#1 ·
Hi,

Some time ago I posted here that I am working on Excel workbook for Investment tracking in Excel. As I worked on this workbook, I realized that more people might be interested, so I decided to publish everything I did. I have to point out that this type of tracking is more suited for advanced Excel users, but end result is amazing - I can see how my investments were doing at any point in time and I was able to create few very useful dashboards. I can handle even notion distributions in my Excel workbook and I track both equity and cash balance.
All my work is published absolutely free. I even included free scripts that download stock quotes from Yahoo Financial website to your PC. All my scripts/code/formulas - all of it is open and if you want to change/fix anything go ahead and do it :).
I am actually Business Intelligence (BI) consultant and I ended up doing free small BI application. It is right now in beta version. Due to technical issues I was not able to complete annualized rate of return proper calculation. I am also will be adding CDN/US currency conversion - so I could see any portfolios using any currency.
I did my tests on my TD Waterhouse accounts and I was able to reconsile everything to 1 penny.

As I already have experience with my other websites, I just created new one and posted there all scripts, descriptions, screenshots and videos. I would very much appreciate any suggestions/critc - good or bad I want it.

And you can do advanced tracking of your investments in Excel using Portfolio Slicer. Start by checking screenshots - this will give you idea what you could track. And you can very easily create you own reports - I even added video on how you can do this.

And thank you very much in advance for any suggestions!

See less See more
#2 ·
I've only just started looking at the screen caps but that's VERY impressive!

I currently use Microsoft Money Sunset Plus (free to download as well) but MS Money is no longer supported and anything but open-source.

Have you used MS Money? I wonder if your Excel solution would be a good replacement for the portfolio section of Money.

#4 ·
I have not tried Microsoft Money. Probably because I started to look for real investment tracking solution some time in 2009 and at that time I believe there was already announcement about money beeing discontinued. As I said, as I looked at anything available, it just could not deliver what I wanted. I spent time entering transactions in globefund and other websites, but at the end it was a waste of time. Then I realized that Excel gives best flexibility and with PowerPivot it gave me power.
I am tracking right now 10 accounts and I can get info about my allocations and current portfolio value with 20min delay. To be honest it was very painful to see my real investment situation. Lots of loses - Yellow Pages, Natural Gas, etc. I was dealing with 60+ stocks. Now I am slowly trying to build couch potato type portfolio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.