Canadian Money Forum banner

Brookfield Asset Management (BAM.A)

48K views 116 replies 42 participants last post by  Money172375 
#1 ·
I've been watching this chart and over the past three days there has been a strong rally, hence the 3 white soldiers pattern, I'm wondering if anyone wants to jump on this with me?

#37 ·
Thank you for updates! :)

Any word about business partners spinoff? Can't find anything since original announcement in October: https://www.brookfield.com/content/..._management_to_create_brookfield_b-43019.html (Was debating whether to sell BAM or buy more... so far my experience with spinoffs via a special dividend wasn't good - getting a few odd shares of a new stock that clutter the account and don't justify the commissions to sell them, with original shares going down :))

#40 ·
Bidding war for Australia's Asciano heats up as Qube trumps Brookfield

http://www.4-traders.com/ASCIANO-LT...-heats-up-as-Qube-trumps-Brookfield-21817451/

Asciano added that it has given the Canadian firm until Feb. 15 to match the Qube offer. It also published a letter from the Canadian's Chief Executive Officer Sam Pollock promising to raise its offer to A$9.28 per share from A$9.10 and make it all cash.

However, Asciano said, its board determined that "at this stage there was no certainty that a new Brookfield Infrastructure proposal would be made or the timing of such a proposal".

#44 ·
http://seekingalpha.com/article/396...eld-asset-management?v=1459806317&commenter=1

it seems like the discrepancy comes from a billion dollar asset held by BIP. BIP is valuing at a far higher rate then its partner in the JV. i dont think this is a big deal, but market seems like its panicking. might add more if it gets low enough.
if anyone has a subscription to barons, I'd appreciate you sharing the article here.

#54 ·
Unlike some CMFers who buy shares by the thousands, I bought a piddly one hundred (100) shares of BAM.A at today's open.

Latest article from SeekingAlpha:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3984145-brookfield-asset-management-asset-light-business-model

As a final word, I would caution investors to adhere to Bruce Flatt's investment methodology when purchasing BAM, and only buy shares when the company is below its replacement cost, or at a substantial discount to the net asset value. According to the valuation table provided below, BAM is trading at a 5% discount to its NAV of $37. I would recommend that investors wait until the discount increases to 15%, which implies a purchase target of $31.45.
BAM opened today at USD $32.46

#57 ·
Have been familiarizing myself with finviz (financial visualizations) as an alternative to StockCharts.
finviz (free version) has more fundamental data ; StockCharts has more charting tools.

BAM.A doesn't appear to be available in finviz, so BAM will have to do.

A test of the bottom of the channel (blue line) would be nice, and with that large price gap in mid Sept, a gap-fill is likely.
On the other hand, perhaps 2016 October low arrived early - in September.

finviz target price for BAM is $43

http://finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=BAM

#58 · (Edited)
Seems CEO likes his company. Bought a few more shares today:

4:31 PM EST - Brookfield Asset Management Inc.(BAM.A): Bruce Flatt purchased 700,000 shares at $36.8821 U.S. on 02-17-17 -- bringing his total ownership in the company to 28,725,571 shares.

Not bad for a Winnipeg boy ;)

I used to own a few shares in either BAM or one of their companies in a taxable account. I recall selling them because tax reporting was unusual and not worth the effort. Is this still the case? I would probably buy in RRIF or TFSA. Any downside to owning BAM in a TFSA? Loss of withholding tax?

#59 ·
#63 ·
dividends in the brookfield companies tend to be a PITA. Not only do the different brookfields pay original dividends in either USD or CAD on a somewhat haphazard basis, but the parent company BAM dot A (BAM in US markets) has taken it into its head to tinker around with the currency of dividends being sent out to brokers for the benefit of street clients.

BAM is doing this with the greatest goodwill in the world. At all times, BAM is intending to "help" the majority of canadian retail investors who hold their shares in street form at brokers.

very quaintly, BAM believes that retail investors holding shares at brokers are allowed to choose the currency of their dividend. Nothing could be more false, of course, but still. BAM has been told by the transfer agent - the same transfer agent that is misinforming Potash with the same nonsense - that investors holding street shares at certain brokerages have chosen CAD dividends while other broker investors have chosen USD dividends.

accordingly, for investors at brokers who are said to have "chosen" CAD dividends, BAM generously tries to converts its USD dividend to CAD at spot rates, in its own treasury division, before sending the bulk dividend payment out via the CDS system.

meanwhile BAM continues to send its regular dividend in the default currency, which is USD, to investors at other brokers who are not said to have "chosen" CAD.

potash has a similar confused story. There is some evidence that Algonquin has recently departed down the same confused path. The problem for retail investors at discount brokers is that we have no clue which currency such a dividend-paying company will use, since their actions differ from broker to broker. It is therefore difficult/impossible to hold shares in the currency-appropriate account in order to avoid broker FX fees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.