AI won't make us obsolete, our complacency will
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AI won't make us obsolete, our complacency will

AI won't make us obsolete, our complacency will

Interesting interview by Gary Kasparov.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2017...uld-embrace-ai

I think his last line, and the title of this thread, seems quite wise.

I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

Good comments from a pretty intelligent and open minded person.

I remain very divided on AI. On the one hand, I absolutely love the technology, and believe it's an individual's fault for not keeping up their skills, and adapting. On the other hand, I worry about the mass economic repercussions AI will have. AI will profoundly favor the wealthy, and will exponentially speed up the elimination of the middle class.

Deep AI is a whole other ball of wax.

AI is going to move forward and will also move into the defence industry. Some may even move into the defence industry and then back to society from there. The displacement of workers and to what and where they go will be a problem for sure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

I think this is going to be at least as disruptive as the start of the industrial revolution. There, highly trained 7-year apprentices were replaced with machines and unskilled labour with perhaps a few months of training. AI/machine learning will similarly disrupt many lines of work and render a lot of human capital worthless (radiologist training is rapidly going to become near worthless, for instance). This is going to be very painful for a large number of people.

Just like climate change, pollution, nuclear waste.....everyone knows automation is a problem but nobody is doing anything about it.
    Last edited by sags; 2017-06-20 at 10:37 AM.
    Someone planted a tree a long time ago so I can sit in the shade.

There's a National Geographic show called "Year Million"; it's not literally meaning 1,000,000 as a calendar date, but some time in the distant future. It's pretty ridiculous, predicting that we'll all be uploading our consciousness into a hive network. Gee, I guess they watched The Matrix and S.T.N.G.'s Borg.

There are some less far-fetched predictions based on the trends of current technological advancements. They mention the possibility of AI becoming self-aware, and a point that they call "The Singularity" when the artificial intelligence surpasses the capability of its creators, and no longer needs ( or wants ) us around. I'm sure they got that idea from some movie as well, but it does make one wonder if it's possible for a machine to become self aware, and raises the question "what then is 'life'".

It's not something we'll likely see in our lifetime. We'll only be dealing with burger-flipping robots and self driving cars.

^ That will either happen in <150 years or never.

Bloomberg North's Amanda Lang interviewed an MS executive who said that Canada is MS' location for deep AI, primarily in Montreal, but also encompassing Waterloo and Vancouver. Who knew we were so instrumental in destroying the world!?

Quote Originally Posted by sags View Post
    Just like climate change, pollution, nuclear waste.....everyone knows automation is a problem but nobody is doing anything about it.

LMAO. And that's how it starts

Rumor has it, that Justin Trudeau will introduce a special tax shortly. He says, that robots don't like selfie's.

Queen Kate in Ontario, will follow suit, with a software surtax, with an additional levy for any machine that's older than 2 years, and isn't the colour green. She says, that her grand daughter is scared of robot clowns, and that software code is way too binary for her liking.

Taxation, taxation on the taxation, and extra taxes will always solve any, and all problems. It work even better when you couple it with out of control government waste, and filing the pockets of your friends. We seriously should start taxing automation before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by sags View Post
    Yeah, they said the same thing about fire, the wheel, the stick...when will humanity ever learn? Life was better in the trees heck, some even think trees were a bad idea and we never should have come out of the oceans.

I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast