Amazon buys Whole Foods
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazon buys Whole Foods

Amazon buys Whole Foods

I notice that all my Consumer Staple stocks are down today after the announcement that Amazon is buying Whole Foods Market Inc.

They say that it's a "move that gives the online retailer a physical network of stores to distribute fresh food and other goods to millennials and wealthy consumers.

I buy a fair bit of stuff from Amazon.ca. Their prices always seem to be quite good for what I'm buying. No doubt their suppliers offer Amazon a decent price reduction for the privilege of being in their system, so I assume I benefit from that.

But fresh foods? Would you buy your apples from Amazon? Would enough people do so to justify the amount that the Consumer Staples sector is down?

ltr

The market over-responds. Time to buy more on those dips, remember?

As for the Amazon/Whole Foods model? Well, I wouldn't buy my perishables (especially fruit and veggies) that way, but everything else that is not perishable? Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
    The market over-responds. Time to buy more on those dips, remember?

As for the Amazon/Whole Foods model? Well, I wouldn't buy my perishables (especially fruit and veggies) that way, but everything else that is not perishable? Why not?

Yeah sure, I admit to buying kitchen waste bags and a lot of other kitchen products from Amazon. Their delivery times are unbelievable.

Loblaws has already been experimenting over the last year or so with online ordering of food at my local store. It's called Click and Collect.

I was keenly interested when I saw the four designated parking places that are painted red in my Loblaws lot where you can pick up your order after ordering your groceries online. I made a mental note to check out those spots every week when I went to shop the old fashion way with my cart, because it must be incredibly more convenient to click on your groceries online and then drive to the store and pick them up rather than the horror of pushing a cart around the store and actually scrutenizing your own vegetables and fruit inside the store. Sheesh.

Well, maybe Loblaws will have a different story, but my "on the ground" survey reveals to me that I haven't seen a single car in the red zone yet!

But maybe if you can click on your groceries and then have them show up at my door will actually work and be successful. I do know that when I'm in the store I'm fairly particular about fruit and vegetables. I like this vegetable, but I won't accept the one directly beside it. Who will now be be making these decsions for me at Amazon - a robot?

Thoughts?

ltr

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

They are doing so many more things. They've experimented with no cash registers, just pick up and go. Amazon is primarily a logistics and distribution company. Which is pretty much what grocery stores are. Who knows what they have in mind. Maybe you tell Alexa at home (their smart speaker) that you need XYZ. It has it ready for you at a store. Maybe they didn't even have it in stock when you told Alexa. Maybe the system gets smart enough to know that you go through toilet paper and milk at a rate of XX per month and reminds you to check your stock or orders it for you.

Amazon is just as ruthless with cost cutting as Walmart is. We just think of them as a technology company.

Quote Originally Posted by like_to_retire View Post
    I do know that when I'm in the store I'm fairly particular about fruit and vegetables. I like this vegetable, but I won't accept the one directly beside it. Who will now be be making these decsions for me at Amazon - a robot?

Thoughts?

ltr
    Like I said, I wouldn't buy my perishables picked out by a robot....lol. I am particular too selecting my individual pieces of perishables...and fresh meats.

But the freedom to get everything else online and door delivery allows me to go to the specialty market for my fresh foods. I can see the home delivery model working for those who want to avoid the burden of shopping carts and lugging stuff home. Ultimately one size does not fit all.

Years ago people would shop at the corner grocery store and someone would deliver them to their door.....and put them away if asked.

Years from now, there will be companies that send somebody over to stuff food in our mouths.
    Last edited by sags; 2017-06-16 at 07:09 PM.
    Someone planted a tree a long time ago so I can sit in the shade.

Costco dropped today on the Amazon news so I bought more shares. Thanks Amazon
    Hidden Content - Saving, Investing & Frugal Living

Quote Originally Posted by sags View Post
    Years ago people would shop at the corner grocery store and someone would deliver them to their door.....and put them away if asked.

Years from now, there will be companies that send somebody over to stuff food in our mouths.
    Years ago some of those stores would take an order by phone, then deliver it. Bilton's on Mount Pleasant Road in Toronto comes to mind.

Today, Quality Foods in Campbell River will, for $5, assemble a phone-in or email order and deliver it to the mail plane to be picked up at a remote location.

i have seen the future of food that's going to work for me. At least until this december, when they'll stop.

i have to go to the store though. The procedure is still choose with the eye, pick up with the hands. Plus it's more expensive than any other store.

still, i'm committed.

they started as a rainbow of good-looking young people selling the most drop-dead gorgeous fresh organic vegetables you ever did see. At an established gourmet food store in the neighbourhood. Once a week, thursday afternoons, from 2 pm to 6 pm. Every week, a different rainbow. There are 12 of them, the rainbow farmers tell me. They are barely 20 years of age. They rotate their city market sites, in teams of 2, every week.

promptly at 6 pm, the rainbow packs up its wooden crates into a rented van, sweeps the floor & disappears, not to be seen or heard from again until the following thursday afternoon.

were you wanting their delicious heritage tomatoes? get there before 2 pm, they'll bring 300 or 400 pounds of red, yellow, green striped, brown & pink tomatoes but everything will be sold by 2:30 pm. Were you wanting organic eggs from their farm? there's a waiting list to buy their eggs, if you don't make the actual egg list this summer they promise they'll have more hens, therefore more eggs, next year.

i visited their farm website. The farm itself is southwest of montreal, on the way to the new york state border. It's a permaculture operation. Totally bio-organic. It's obvious there's a ton of money behind this particular farm. The place even has a helicopter landing field.

the website says, mysteriously, that the farm is owned by "philanthropists." There are hints & overtones of cultural diversity, of rainbow skin colours, of harmony, of peace. I found myself wondering if the aga Khan might be the godfather here.

it's the best food we've ever known.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukhang pera View Post
    Years ago some of those stores would take an order by phone, then deliver it. Bilton's on Mount Pleasant Road in Toronto comes to mind.

Today, Quality Foods in Campbell River will, for $5, assemble a phone-in or email order and deliver it to the mail plane to be picked up at a remote location.
    And you could also have a tab on account and settle it after payday. Simpler, sweeter times...

"What good is money if you can't inspire terror in your fellow man?"- C.M. Burns

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast