Amazon buys Whole Foods - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazon buys Whole Foods

I don't know what gets into people. For Amazon to buy Whole Foods they must be planning on keeping the stores as they are. Otherwise they just wasted billions of dollars. So, both companies will continue more or less as they are. One analyst picked up on something which is, if WF operates in all 50 states they must pay sales tax in all states that have it. Amazon has been resisting charging sales tax and does so to only a few states. If they merge the companies they will have to charge tax in all states.

The stock market is in a nervous mood. Last week a rotten rating of Nvidia by Citron drove dozens of tech companies down by 5% to 15% and killed the NASDAQ. Now a commonplace buyout is shaking the whole retail sector. It doesn't look good.

Quote Originally Posted by indexxx View Post
    And you could also have a tab on account and settle it after payday. Simpler, sweeter times...
    True indexxx.

I recall way back moving into a neighbourhood where most folks shopped at a local family-operated grocery store. I soon realized that many people would check out, saying "Just put it on my account." So I asked the proprietor: How do I open an account? I was expecting to have to supply various forms if ID, evidence of financial capacity, university transcripts, etc. Instead, the answer was disarmingly simple. He answered : "Just say I'd like to open an account." That was it. The record-keeping was simply a stack of ledger cards in a wooden box, in alphabetical order, with no more recorded on most than just a name. At one point I asked the proprietor if they did not get stiffed on a regular basis. He said if that happened, they would not advance credit. He explained that over the years there was almost never a bad debt. He said he recalled only two, and they arose due to the death of the account holder and he did not choose to seek recompense from the estate. So even in that case, it was not a bad debt resulting from wilful default. I doubt such a system would work today.

Amazon is going to conquer retail, thats a given, but not everything can be delivered by fedex, so they need a footprint. What better footprint than a grocery store. People have to go there at least once a week. So now there will probably be a fulfillment center in the back for the mail orders. Grab your drugs and perishables at the same time. Starbucks and Timmys on the side, apple or MS store in there too. Its a massive vertical integration exercises and its going to rehape the world. The major mall concept is DOA. Too expensive.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Amazon is going to get their share of retail. They are not going to get 100% for two reasons: they can't be everything to everyone, and if they were to get that large, every government on earth would be going at them hammer and tongs on antitrust grounds. No company is going to be allowed to 'conquer retail'. All they can do is carve out a significant, hopefully highly profitable share of the market.

amazon is a retail disrupter. They are redefining retail with the technology we have today.

I buy a lot of non-perishable items on amazon that I used to buy at the local grocery store. I still buy perishable foods locally, but having grown up on a farm I'm also very conscious that perishable food is artificially altered to look better for all the city slickers who think they know what the "better" produce looks like.. The comments above about choosing your own fruit reminds me of watching how fickle people choose the "fresher" produce that was still attached to the tree or plant itself.. I would happily pay less for unadulterated produce with some blemishes like what you find at a farmer's market but with the convenience of amazon.

Sears and other retailers who don't adapt will fail. I'm not sure what amazon has in mind next but there is lots left to disrupt
    amat victoria curam

To me, Amazon's greatest achievement and one of their primary goals is shipping.

It's the reason I tend to gravitate to Amazon when I buy something online. I have clicked an Amazon "Buy" in the morning, only to hear the rap on the door in the afternoon. Freaking amazing.

All the other wannabees fuss with their web site graphics while Amazon has narrowed into what's really important in online shopping, and that's getting the product to the door fast.

ltr

Things can come quick from Costco online too. I ordered a monitor one late Monday afternoon. It was at my front door less than 24 hrs later. The order was processed in Richmond, BC and shipped that evening on the overnight Fedex truck to Kelowna...and on the delivery van the next morning (theoretically could have been delivered at 9am if I had been the van's first stop.

Quote Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
    Things can come quick from Costco online too. I ordered a monitor one late Monday afternoon. It was at my front door less than 24 hrs later. The order was processed in Richmond, BC and shipped that evening on the overnight Fedex truck to Kelowna...and on the delivery van the next morning (theoretically could have been delivered at 9am if I had been the van's first stop.

Exactly, and I don't understand why the entire online shopping world (save for Amazon and a few others) haven't figured out the most important part of this new method of buying products.

It's shipping! That's what all this drone nonsense is about. Get the product to the door as fast as possible and you'll win.

ltr

Maybe I'm weird, but I will seldom pay a penny premium for faster shipping. I regularly use the free super saver shipping and get it in under two days... This is why Prime is a waste of money, especially in Canada where we don't get any of the other perks.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast