Free phone unlocking starting December 1 - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free phone unlocking starting December 1

Who is your service with? I'm w Telus and other than a few spots around the lakehead have never lacked for coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by dotnet_nerd View Post
    Yup, it's a classic example of "be careful what you wish for"

The gullible public screamed for an end to 3-year contracts.... and got their wish. Say goodbye to days of free $700 iPhones

Now with no more phone lock-in, we'll be raped by the carriers.
    Most people don't need a $700 phone though (actually a new iphone is $900). The Moto G is $150 and it's a perfectly usable phone that would meet the requirements of the majority of people. There are many other examples of phoens in that prices range too. High end phones should be reserved for those who can afford them.

Super Moderator
    I spent only about $100 on a Moto E. The phone is fine, does all the smart phone things you'd expect. (Yes bought unlocked and not tied to any carrier)

Plus, there's a great market in second hand phones.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Of all the electronics I've purchased over the years, no other electronic gets used as much or retains its value as well as the iPhone

I could buy a used one at half the price or I could buy a new one and sell it for half the price a few years later. Better to buy new really..

I don't mind paying for something I will use every single day.. it's the electronics that collect dust for months that are a waste imo

I've always bought unlocked phones outright. Not sure how this will play out but it's probably not good for consumers or shareholders
    amat victoria curam

Quote Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
    Jack talked about services, not phones. No one really knows whether plans currently are over-priced (probably) versus under-priced ...
    Cheaper cell service prices as well as more choices of plans in similar countries suggests Canada is over-priced.

There seems to also be a high markup for traveling to Latin America as well. For one country I visited, fifty minutes of voice time as $150 CAD. Borrowing a co-worker's flip phone changed that to $10 US for a local number then $1.50 USD for sixty minutes that was good for twenty four hours.

Getting agreements in place likely adds to the costs but the disparity suggests that there is a huge mark up where the Canadian telco is confident people aren't aware of or are not interested in a bit of extra work.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyMyOpinion View Post
    Who is your service with? I'm w Telus and other than a few spots around the lakehead have never lacked for coverage.
    Telus. Switched to Bell after two weeks here, as our cellular internet with Bell receives just fine. A bit of a signal improvement, but not enough to hang onto calls. Gave in, and we are waiting on delivery of a good booster to the tune of $1,400, after discovering others on the road suddenly experiencing same problem.

Not sure what's changed, but we had a solid signal here for the previous year and a half, during every season. We've improved the house prior to moving, with double exterior walls, replaced metal roof with new, however we get the same dB field testing in the house as in the yard and at the shore, thus the booster purchase. We do have a windfarm up the hill, possible issue, but that predates our purchase of the house. We are within 10km of four towers, two at lake level (Superior) like our house, two at a higher elevation than the windmills. We even pick up a Verizon tower across Whitefish Bay sometimes, somewhere around Paradise, Michigan, quite a distance away.

I'm guessing interference from Verizon. There are increasing demands on frequencies and they are controlled by the countries independently (FCC and CRTC) The military spectrum is deconflicted across borders but I'm not sure about the telecoms

This was a major issue in Europe where countries are so small and carriers were stepping on each other. Europe has now regulated transmission levels in border areas and is also phasing out roaming so that you can use signals from neighbouring countries

I wouldn't be surprised if the Canada-US border is behind in coordination because it is massive and mostly unpopulated. I know there have been major issues with 911 calls being routed to the wrong country so I doubt they have sorted the frequency deconflictions
    amat victoria curam

I am a huge fan of unlocked phones. I want to disconnect the relationship between the cell provider and the provision/purchase of a phone. I want to buy the phone I want from any supplier-anywhere. Not a fan of contracts either which is why we do not have have a term contract.

We travel outside Canada frequently. If we start taking our phone (have not in the the past) we will simply by a local sim card, number, and time. So much cheaper than dealing with CAD cel providers.

We are on Koodo (Telus). Great service and coverage. We will get our phones unlocked in Dec. I applaud the CRTC for this. Adds some competition to the equation. My cell phone battery (four years old) was crapping out. Koodo says no more batteries available.. need to buy a new phone, sign up for a contract. Went on Amazon.ca and purchased an OEM battery for $10. It has been working like a charm for the past several months.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    My cell phone battery (four years old) was crapping out. Koodo says no more batteries available.. need to buy a new phone, sign up for a contract. Went on Amazon.ca and purchased an OEM battery for $10. It has been working like a charm for the past several months.
    I just did the same. I was in the US so I paid $10USD for an iPhone battery and $5USD for the tool kit. My phone was almost dead before noon, setting said the battery needed "service" and generally working very sluggish that it felt like time to buy a new phone.. new battery and now it's working like new again
    amat victoria curam

I agree there should be no relationship between a phone purchase and service provider. A major step in the right direction. I do notice that Rogers (who I have my current month to month service with) has the option to bring your own phones. We just need to start shopping around for phones, and likely go with Rogers with their family share plan. Haven't checked with other providers yet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast