Free phone unlocking starting December 1
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Free phone unlocking starting December 1

Super Moderator

Free phone unlocking starting December 1

Telco companies will no longer be able to keep phones locked to their service, and will have to unlock phones for free starting December 1
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc...hone-1.4161711

And all new phones will have to be provided unlocked. This is very exciting!

But be prepared to pay full price for the phone if not in a 2 year contract. The telco can't afford to discount a phone to someone who can walk.

Yup, it's a classic example of "be careful what you wish for"

The gullible public screamed for an end to 3-year contracts.... and got their wish. Say goodbye to days of free $700 iPhones

Now with no more phone lock-in, we'll be raped by the carriers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
    But be prepared to pay full price for the phone if not in a 2 year contract. The telco can't afford to discount a phone to someone who can walk.
    When have telcos discounted phones not on contract?

Most pay as you go phones were heavily subsidized...or do you really think you could get them that cheap just because they weren't smart phones?
    I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

Super Moderator
    I've always paid full price for cell phones anyway. There's an added benefit here since the secondary market for used phones will become more useful, since they can now be unlocked.

I have two old phones that I've tried to give to relatives, but could not, because they were locked to old providers. Suddenly my old phones will become useful for others instead of sitting unused in a drawer.

On December 1, I will be phoning in to unlock my old Samsung flip phone. It's a beautifully robust phone and the only reason I'm not using it currently is because it's still locked to Virgin Mobile.
    Last edited by james4beach; 2017-06-16 at 03:12 AM.

No Unlocking fees

Although this is good news but i also think that this will give the companies the excuse they needed to increase prices. So I am conflicted about how i should feel about this

Super Moderator
    Do you mean increase the price of their services? I doubt they can increase the price of their phones... people can already just buy a phone online for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by james4beach View Post
    Do you mean increase the price of their services? I doubt they can increase the price of their phones... people can already just buy a phone online for cheap.
    Jack talked about services, not phones. No one really knows whether plans currently are over-priced (probably) versus under-priced. That $65/month contract may go to $70/month via stealth over time albeit there will be a bit of a competitive nature to pricing.

Wife and I will be in the market this Fall for a Shared plan (Rogers Share Everything Plan or equivalent). Both of us would like new phones... me upgrading from a Samsung flip phone and her from an iPhone4 SE (I think). She has previously paid for her phone via Koodo's Tab option. We will now wait for how the new plans shake out come Dec 1.

I would have preferred that CRTC address poor coverage, rather than unlocking phones. Unlocking is a one-time expense (mine was $50), which can quickly be recovered by being off contract with a new carrier. Poor coverage (a recent drop of signal) at my new home leaves me in a communication wasteland. I can no longer contact anyone by phone, including emergency services.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast