When a joke is not funny? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When a joke is not funny?

In our victimhood culture, people are desperately looking for reasons to be offended, to let loose their fake outrage it seems. To me it appears as if this feeds their narcissistic and morally superior beliefs.

No "need" or aim to offend anyone is needed, these victims are actively searching for ways (and creating new ways weekly) to be offended.

The problem one has is on both sides. Sometimes some people just cannot take a joke, is the one side. The other side is that some people use humour to make their inappropriate point. My guess, with the UBER exec. is that he really did not want women on the board and made a joke because he knew that he could not say what he really felt. It did not make it any less wrong. That being said, another person, could have said the very same thing, and I would agree it was definitely a joke. It is all within the context of the person saying it, the people in the room and what is going on at the time. That determines what is a joke...not the words themselves.

For example. You see black comedians making racial jokes about the black community all the time. Many are quite funny and I suspect most racial groups find it quite humerous and understand it for what it is, humour. If I, with all my caucasian good looks, stood up on that stage, using the exact same material, it would not be as well received...and it shouldn't be.

It is all about context. You need to be aware of who you are, where you are, who you are with and what is going on and when you have analyzed all that...you should probably keep your jokes for your buddies, who have decided to overlook your unique personality a long time ago.
    Last edited by OptsyEagle; 2017-06-16 at 08:33 AM.

I liked the cartoon in the opening post. When I tried a simple "select, copy, paste" in order to get a stand-alone cartoon, I was unable to do so. Is there a simple way to do that? I use Windows 7 ad IE 11.

Thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

^^

When a joke is not funny?

Source: https://www.facebook.com/albertafree...type=3&theater

A joke doesn't need to be offensive or unoffensive to be not funny

"Now, you take my wife...................PLEASE!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jargey3000 View Post
    "Now, you take my wife...................PLEASE!!!"
    I've been married for 35 years, and I'm still in love with the same wonderful woman...
    If my wife ever finds out, she'll kill me!

After all the bru-ha-ha over Kathi Griffin with the severed Trump head, and the Shakespeare Julius Caesar play with a Trump-like Caesar being stabbed at the Forum - Johnny Depp tried to make a joke about how silly it was that anybody would take this so seriously. He said "When was the last time an actor assassinated a President?". That went over like a lead balloon, now he's the focus of Secret Service scrutiny. Jeez folks, I thought it was funny, for the irony.

Depp knew what he was doing. He said it was going to be in the press and would be horrible.

If you have something to say - then say.

Quote Originally Posted by Userkare View Post
    I've been married for 35 years, and I'm still in love with the same wonderful woman...
    If my wife ever finds out, she'll kill me!

After 40 years, da wife & I have found the secret to a happy marriage: A quiet, romantic dinner out, once a week;
    she goes Tuesdays, I go Thursdays.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast