Canadian Money Forum banner

Conservative Party of Canada leadership election, 2017

7K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  gibor365 
#1 ·
This weekend there will be Conservative Party of Canada leadership election, 2017. In your opinion, who gonna win and who can beat Justin?

#2 ·
I will put it on my 'things to do' list to post who might CPC leadership sometime later on Saturday.

It's hard to know whether CPC members will vote ideology or who may be the best candidate to beat JT.

#5 ·
If they vote grassroots 'base' social conservatism.... no, they won't beat JT in 2019. The success factor is fiscal conservatism and centrist social policy, but not bleeding heart social policy.

#6 ·
I don't know who will win, but it sounds like their voting scheme is a disaster waiting to happen.

What was wrong with the good old days..........a convention, some backroom dealing, and a new leader emerges from the pack.

All this....who got how many second votes, third votes.....complete nonsense to me and I think it means people won't bother to watch.

I do think Bernier is the only one with a chance to beat Trudeau...........slim as it may be.

#12 ·
Yes, I know he has said that...plus he won't roll back any marijuana legislation that passes either.

But he intends to tighten up 'assisted death' situations, including allowing medical personnel to opt out, and he believes in funding private schooling and home schooliing. I am against both. His stand on ensuring universities respect the right to free speech could be a double edged sword. I am against anything that strengthens religious influences and it is pretty clear what his motivations are there. But overall, caucus in total will have to set CPC policy so nothing is cast in stone.

#13 ·
Private schooling and home schooling means you don't use up tax-funded systems so a tax rebate is fair. Not sure why anyone would be against private education but then everyone is against private healthcare which is just as silly.

Opting out assisted death makes sense; I am sure some individuals would refuse whether the opt out is available or not. I am more concerned with making access easier and doubt his policies will be helpful which is unfortunate.

Right now universities are incubating free speech for some while silencing others based on how far left you are. Something has to change; any change would be an improvement.

#17 ·
Sigh.. another social conservative cretin. Harper lite.
It's like the Federal CPC is now copying the playbook of the morons running the Ontario party. Unelectable at any price.

T2 must be happy this morning (assuming one of the nannies read him the headlines)

#20 ·
It was like watching paint dry. OH....I can't watch any more I need to wash my hair.

Good showing by the social conservatives to get Scheer over the top. Have to wonder what this will mean in terms of inter party conflict between the red tories and the reformers.

Saddened to see the the level of support for Kellie Leitch.

The Conservatives have a challenge. For the first time millennials will be the largest voting block in the next election. Wonder if this will be offset by the traditionally high turnout of seniors. Wonder what it will mean for the climate change deniers in the Conservative Party or those who oppose the carbon tax purely for the sake of opposition?

#26 ·
Andrew Scheer won because he and Erin O'Toole are cut from the same general 'Harper cloth' with I think less aloofness and more personality. Erin and Andrew were close throughout the balloting, and thus Erin's votes from Round 12 disproportionately went to Andrew on the last ballot. The way it is supposed to happen. None of my preferences like Michael Chong got beyond Round 10.

#32 ·
Good writeup on Scheer here:
http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/16807094http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/16807094
His support of an education tax credit is problematic though since his 5 children attend a christian school.

Those critical of public education - if you think it is broke, work to fix it. That is not Scheer's position, his is driven by religious belief. Which as others have noted, is a personal choice that shouldn't be supported by tax dollars.

Yes RCB, two. The first also had huge math challenges that we had to assist with many hours at the kitchen table. The second, two years later breezed through. Same teachers and school - it wasn't the system, it was the individual. Unfortunately, caring parents often do need to be involved in supporting their children's education.

#34 ·
In your case it may have been the individual, but in my case it WAS the system. After entering the extra-curricular program, both of my kids ended up being used by their teachers as informal in-class tutors for most of the rest in math. They had foundational math, most of the rest did not.

I was in the school so many times per yer, meeting with teachers, that I knew them on a first name basis. The TEACHERS admitted it was the system, and it was a teacher that directed us to the Kumon Math program. That teacher told me there were teachers so upset about the system's failings that they weren't sleeping at night, others were retiring to get away from the mess.

Anyone looking to escape such a failing system is segregating? Homeschooling still exists for a variety of reasons. My youngest chose to complete her last year of high school online, at home, so that she could work full-time night shifts, saving for university. She also felt much of class time was wasted on useless, non-course related items. Honour student, four year scholarship to university. Religion or segregationist leanings in this household? Zero.

One need not be a social conservative to support private education or homeschooling.

#37 ·
You're correct re/ education being provincial. The comments in this thread relate to Scheer's proposal to provide a federal tax deduction of up to $4000 per child for parents sending their children to private school or homeschooling.
IMO, if there are issues with public schools, let's address them so all future kids benefit. Since his solution for his kids is the Regina Christian School, it is clearly a faith issue driving him, not a quality of public schools issue. Hopefully the larger constituency of the party will vote this down, much like they have agreed that other issues will not be revisited.

#41 ·
Agree. Elementary and Secondary education is purely a Provincial issue. Does not matter what any Federal politician says about it.

My son, a senior high school teacher, has to deal with students coming into the last year of high school from various faith based private schools. They are behind in a number of ways, the most notable being the ability to think critically. And their marks in certain subjects bear this out in spades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.