Comments on my portfolio weighting please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comments on my portfolio weighting please

Comments on my portfolio weighting please

Hi - so I have been in cash for months now and with the draw down in equities I am looking to get back in. My current weighting is as follows:

60% in equities
    20% in gold
    20% fixed income

(DIA) Dow in US currency 15%
    (IVV) S&P in US currency 15%
    (GXC) S&P in China 20%
    (?) TSX in Canada 10% or something that tracks Singapore equities also 10%

(CGL.C) Gold ETF in US currency 20%
    (ZEB) Cdn Banks ETF in Cdn currency 10%
    (?) US corporate bond ETF in US currency 10%

My thinking is that 60 in equities and 40 in "safer stuff". Since gold often inversely tracks equities I thought I would use this and I love Canadian banks just for the regular income. I am also looking for a good ETF of corporate bonds. I am also thinking the US dollar may see some increase in the next couple of years.

Comments?

1. You appear to have 70% in equities and 10% in FI.
    2. Your FI is 100% US. Do you live in the US?
    3. 10% Singapore? Really?
    4. DIA and IVV - pick one. I'd say IVV.
    5. ZEB? Why?

" so I have been in cash for months now and with the draw down in equities I am looking to get back in."

Equities have been rising for months. We've had ~13% jump over the last 6 months. The "draw down" is what? Less than 1% in May?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

"My thinking is that 60 in equities and 40 in "safer stuff". "

All depends on your goals, risk tolerance, etc.

Sounds like you also have income needs? "...I love Canadian banks just for the regular income."

I believe you might benefit from having a financial plan drawn up. Plans come before products IMO.
    Hidden Content - Working on a $1 million portfolio and $30k per year from it.

Yeah like the gentlemen above me just said, we have no idea what your age, timeline, goals, financial situation, etc. are and you are asking for advice. You can pull a porfolio out of a hat, but why come ask for specific advice.

And are you American or do you live in Asia? Because this is a Canadian site, and while many of the basic things we talk about here are universal, most of the conversations are geared towards Canadian investors. If you are Canadian, I don't understand why you would possibly want 90% of your investments in a different country/currency. Especially not that large percentage in those 2 specific countries.

Thanks for the replies and yes it was a hurried and incomplete post. I am 44 and plan to retire between 55-60. I have a defined benefit pension plan and will retire with 60-70% of my wage depending on the exact age I retire. I have no debt and my current financial situation is stable. I plan to purchase a house soon but will not require the funds from these investments as I have a sizable down payment and will have the house paid off before I retire. I live in Canada however am influenced by Martin Armstrong in the sense that I expect the US dollar and US equities to appreciate in the next couple of years so I wanted to expose myself to a sizable amount of US currency and equities. The gold in my mind is a suitable balance to the equities, I realize it is much more volatile than bonds but I also tend to be bullish for gold over the next five years. I do not need regular income. I am not very bullish on Canada in the immediate future however I will be re balancing once the appetite for commodities grows again. I like Singapore since I respect the governance and financial situation of the nation, I am growing more concerned with western countries who are heavy on social programs and increasing in debt in on a crazy pace.

Heh yes there has been no real draw down to speak of yet in equities, I was watching the drop earlier this week as I have been waiting for a correction to come and did not want to purchase my US equities just yet.

If anyone has suggestions I am open, or if you know some reputable organization in Canada that advises online I would also consider them.

If you have a good pension and fancy a few bets then go for it. Just don't pretend that there is any actual logic in your 10% Singapore allocation, your 100% US bond allocation or the draw down watching game.

20% in gold gave me pause...if this is physical gold in your deposit box its not so bad though, if in ETF's then worthless in an emergency. Singapore???why not Brazilian telecom's?

I would go close to 100 percent cash.

Quote Originally Posted by lyl View Post
    Thanks for the replies and yes it was a hurried and incomplete post. I am 44 and plan to retire between 55-60. I have a defined benefit pension plan and will retire with 60-70% of my wage depending on the exact age I retire. I have no debt and my current financial situation is stable. I plan to purchase a house soon but will not require the funds from these investments as I have a sizable down payment and will have the house paid off before I retire. I live in Canada however am influenced by Martin Armstrong in the sense that I expect the US dollar and US equities to appreciate in the next couple of years so I wanted to expose myself to a sizable amount of US currency and equities. The gold in my mind is a suitable balance to the equities, I realize it is much more volatile than bonds but I also tend to be bullish for gold over the next five years. I do not need regular income. I am not very bullish on Canada in the immediate future however I will be re balancing once the appetite for commodities grows again. I like Singapore since I respect the governance and financial situation of the nation, I am growing more concerned with western countries who are heavy on social programs and increasing in debt in on a crazy pace.

Heh yes there has been no real draw down to speak of yet in equities, I was watching the drop earlier this week as I have been waiting for a correction to come and did not want to purchase my US equities just yet.

If anyone has suggestions I am open, or if you know some reputable organization in Canada that advises online I would also consider them.
    I recall some advice from 'Market Call' on BNN - great shows btw. You treat your pension income as if it were from a fixed income source. So if your pension were 50K say, and you wanted to keep a 50/50 split (bonds /equities) you could have 50k come from equity sources ie div and cap gains.

Here is another idea too from taxtips.ca, try and have your equities so you have an = weighting btw the major sectors. As in the link they have ~ 25% in utilities/telcos/pipelines, 25% oils, industrials, materials,25% consumer cyc and def, healthcare and 25% in financial/real estate. That is why some cdn index etfs aren't that great w too much wgt in financial and oil. Can't post links yet so replace dot w .

http(colon)//www(dot)taxtips(dot)ca/stocksandbonds/recommendedstocks(dot)htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast