Comments on my portfolio weighting please - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Comments on my portfolio weighting please

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6
    You should check out Mawer Investment Management then if you're crushing on Singapore; Calgary shop with International office over there.

    At 44 with a defined benefit; I mean depending on your family sitch and expenses for kids or housing or hobbies; 25% Global Bonds (because you have a safe income), 10% emerging markets equity (because when you retire in 20 years China will be the worlds largest economy), 20% EAFE developed (diversify), 20% US equity (it will grow even with Trump), 15% Canada (DFC maybe? multifactor index), 10% Singapore.

    So 25% bonds and 75% equities. There's other stuff, like REITs etc. that you could look at but I'd go hard on equities if you're not retiring for another 20 years. if the crash happens in the next 5 or 6 years you'll still have 15 years of dollar cost averaging to grow big on the recovery.

    More easily just find a good performing balanced Mutual Fund holding bonds and equities and don't worry about it. Do 80% the fund and then play around with Singapore with the other 20%.

    Either way I envy your DB plan!


  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    7
    Ok I really appreciate the replies however perhaps I should have rephrased the question. Assuming I proceed with 60 percent equities what would some suggestions be for the 40 percent of "safe stuff". Please provide some specific suggestions, federal government bonds, corporate bonds, preferred shares?

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    6
    There's a post two posts down that talk about what sort of bonds people are buying right now. Canadian Couch Potato just did a three part series on bonds worth looking at.

    IMO I'd find a bond ETF and not worry about the mix. Managing bonds for max return is a full time job.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    3,790
    Quote Originally Posted by lyl View Post
    Ok I really appreciate the replies however perhaps I should have rephrased the question. Assuming I proceed with 60 percent equities what would some suggestions be for the 40 percent of "safe stuff". Please provide some specific suggestions, federal government bonds, corporate bonds, preferred shares?
    Here: http://canadiancouchpotato.com/recommended-funds/

  6. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by lyl View Post
    Ok I really appreciate the replies however perhaps I should have rephrased the question. Assuming I proceed with 60 percent equities what would some suggestions be for the 40 percent of "safe stuff". Please provide some specific suggestions, federal government bonds, corporate bonds, preferred shares?
    I would be interested to find any better sources for FI too. For a little extra yield, look at corp bond ETFs. XHB ( ishares) is a corp hybrid of mainly investment grade bonds w a yield to maturity of ~ 2.9% after fees, of mid term bonds. or XCB, HAB at ~ 2.2% ytm. There are some US investment grade bonds which yield ~ 2.1% too. Look for shorter maturities as interest rates are likely going up. See the G&M review of good bond etfs.

    I can't post links yet but google " Rob Carrick best bond etfs 2017"

    May look at HISA inside a TFSA too.

    Still learning about preferred shares. They can get hurt in downturns as are more correlated w equities. They also get pounded when interest rates fall, like in 2015, when ps etfs fell 20%. Don't see that happening again though w interest rates as low as they can go really at 0.5%.

    Last edited by Jimmy; 2017-05-20 at 02:32 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •