REITs Are In Trouble - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: REITs Are In Trouble

^^^

I don't see rentals in REF.un - which tygrus wanted. HR.un looks more like it.

Cheers

REF.UN has rentals; focuses on retail, industrial, office.

On each REIT site, they typically have a portfolio page identifying what they own.
    Hidden Content - Working on a $1 million portfolio and $30k per year from it.

I took rentals to be living space rentals (ex. apartments, retirement residences). Retail, industrial and office sounds tied to how the economy is going versus people needing a roof over their heads.

Cheers

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic12 View Post
    I took rentals to be living space rentals (ex. apartments, retirement residences). Retail, industrial and office sounds tied to how the economy is going versus people needing a roof over their heads.
    Indeed, I don't consider REF.UN to be rental (as in apartments). I have CAR.UN and BEI.UN for residential rental.

P.S. I own REF.UN

Quote Originally Posted by new dog View Post
    Canada housing bubble, oil, higher interest rates and the recent Home Capital problems are causing REITs to drop. They have rolled over and could go far lower. However they could be an opportunity going forward as pension funds are hungry for alternative investments such as REITs.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...property-reits
    I hope not or boy am i in trouble,,,,

Interest going up a decent amount would be the biggest risk. If interest rates stay low aside from a small increase then the housing bubble may not pop or may stabilize without housing prices rising very much. Recession risk may be out there but then again this could bring in a new round of QE as well.

If all goes well we will get more of a correction here and we will get some good buys. We do have some good posts here and plenty of names thrown out to look at.

Having said that if you are in so much possible trouble if things go south then maybe you have too much real estate and or REIT exposure.

True that the REIT sector would react badly to a significant interest rate boost BUT the key is to be invested in REITs with low leverage relative to the competition. I try to be selective that way though not all of my holdings would be called low leverage (under 50%). Payout below 80% of AFFO is another good rule of thumb. REITs with those metrics will be the acquirer of distressed REITs that are betting the farm of rates staying low....seemingly forever.

BC average home sale price has dropped almost $100,000 (96,000) YOY every month this year. No province or state has ever experienced this type of decline ever. Divergence is huge this is not a healthy market. The gains n TO were parabolic while BC is crashing. The average home owner in BC now has 100,000 less cash & no one seams to be noticing.

Quote Originally Posted by new dog View Post
    Interest going up a decent amount would be the biggest risk. If interest rates stay low aside from a small increase then the housing bubble may not pop or may stabilize without housing prices rising very much. Recession risk may be out there but then again this could bring in a new round of QE as well.

If all goes well we will get more of a correction here and we will get some good buys. We do have some good posts here and plenty of names thrown out to look at.

Having said that if you are in so much possible trouble if things go south then maybe you have too much real estate and or REIT exposure.
    I am in reits at about 18% and 30% cash,waiting for a buying opportunity sometime this year

I figured you were too smart for what you were saying 1980 and happy hunting on the REIT's.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast