off-topic question about cell-phone video on tv? :)

Thread: off-topic question about cell-phone video on tv? :)

off-topic question about cell-phone video on tv? :)

ok...here's something that i always wonder about...so why not bring it to the forum.
    I was just watching this video of a guy being taken off a plane for unruly behavior. My question has nothing to do with this incident. Could be any one of the thousands of cell-phone videos that crop up on the news.
    Question: when theses videos are shown, why is it there are like 2 videos playing, one super-imposed over the other?
    the one we watch is in focus, but the same video is also playing (larger & blurred) behind it.
    Know what I mean? Why is that? Is there some sort of technical reason? why dont they just show the one screen?
    bugs me.
    here's a sample(sorry about the BMO ad first!)
    http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.3417711

Last edited by jargey3000; 2017-05-17 at 04:15 PM.

It's caused by "Vertical Video Syndrome". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA

This is a disease which causes cell phone users to hold their phones vertically when shooting video, even though TV screens on planet Earth are horizontally oriented. For some reason, people can't figure out that they need to rotate their phones 90 degrees when shooting video.

When these horizontally challenged videos are played on a normal 16x9 TV, they appear really tall and skinny. To avoid excessive ugliness, the news folks usually add a blurred background derived from the video, which is less annoying looking than having two huge black areas on either side of the tall skinny video.
    If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    It's caused by "Vertical Video Syndrome". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA

This is a disease which causes cell phone users to hold their phones vertically when shooting video, even though TV screens on planet Earth are horizontally oriented. For some reason, people can't figure out that they need to rotate their phones 90 degrees when shooting video.

When these horizontally challenged videos are played on a normal 16x9 TV, they appear really tall and skinny. To avoid excessive ugliness, the news folks usually add a blurred background derived from the video, which is less annoying looking than having two huge black areas on either side of the tall skinny video.
    I agree with you, but why can't they process the video, and then present it without the distracting blurred backgrounds that jargey3000 and a million other people are distracted by.

ltr

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

The only answer is to get the picture-taker to rotate. Anything else involve clipping content to make it fit.