Last chance to buy a new car...

Thread: Last chance to buy a new car...

Last chance to buy a new car...

Since the C-man decided to split, I suppose someone else needs to bring the weird headlines to the discussion...

Here's a story, from a Stanford man who claims we're in for big changes shortly. My personal feeling are this guy never thought about Canada where the climate and layout are a little different.

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...g-the-industry

I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

Ha ha ha sounds like typical future think from some ivory tower think tank. Maybe he doesn't know horses are still around more than 100 years after the invention of the automobile, and horses continued to be used every day for certain things, more than 50 years after cars came in.

I have always known electric cars are the ideal cars, the only hold up was getting batteries powerful enough, yet small and light enough to compete with liquid fuels like gasoline. We may be on the verge of finally getting them thanks to cell phones and similar users that made it worth while to invent them.

But, gas and diesel vehicles will continue in use being gradually phased out in favor of electrics. I should say electric vehicles will first become common as taxis and buses in cities. But it will be a long, long time before electrics replace diesel engines in long haul trucking.

Maybe in 40 years you will only see gas cars in museums and at vintage car shows, the way we see early steam and electric vehicles today.

Super Moderator
    And oil prices did not play out anything like people thought. The steady uptrend was starting to look really scary by 2007/2008... crude oil got above $100, then nearly touched $150. People seemed sure that in a few years oil would be well into the hundreds of dollars per barrel.

Here's a chart of the gasoline price. The current price is less than half of what it was 9 years ago!
    http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=%24...d=p17902698273

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Deleted
    Last edited by AltaRed; 2017-05-17 at 11:03 AM.

Good thing weed cant be disrupted because thats the only new tech canada has. Our petroloonie is going to be doomed unless we uncouple big time. But also think of all the auto parts from mexico and china no longer needed.

Not just that but...

>Subprime loan crisis looming in auto industry as people are being approved for and buying way more than they can afford over outrageous length of time (84 even 96 months) coupled with the cost of vehicles are higher than ever and not because inflation, talking in the last few years alone for example: half ton pick ups are easily 70k+ have seen even close to 90k for a Limited F150. I understand the Raptor being ~80k truck but I work around a lot of new vehicles of all kinds and see window stickers that make me shake my head.

And the HUGE shift towards CUV/SUV and pick up trucks. Fiat-Chrysler under Sergio Marchionne are even focusing on those segments almost exclusively and forgetting about compact segment altogether (no small car other than a Fiat 500 which is LOL, and axed production of Dart/200 mid size cars for being flops). SUV's alone are 40% of the North American market. Another huge 20-30% chunk is pick up trucks. People haven't learned and are buying gas guzzlers...the industry as a whole is extremely short sighted in this area. There is a huge looming oil boom in West Texas should keep gas prices lower for a long time, but would further put nails in the coffin of Western Canada oil/its relevancy to the U.S. market. And reading articles even if it's just a far-fetched forecast/prediction - but to think the $CAD could sink as low as 0.50 on the $USD ... WTF. And who knows what the Trumpenfuhrer has in store for the thousand year Trumpenreich.

Brings to another thing entirely with the EPA which Trump wants to relax the rules/regulations and I would even go as far as to say EPA's "unfair imposing" of emissions standards that cripples auto manufacturers financially which trickles down to affecting "American Jobs", right down to smothering the life out of their ICE's with restrictions and impossible targets such as 50+ mpg average across the board of all new vehicles by 2025 or something which they've since scratched off the board. As a car enthusiast, I can't help but think of a Dodge Demon in a cloud of tire smoke, a new Mazda rotary engine the chugs fuel, and never ending big block V8's. Keep exotic and high output naturally aspirated gloriously sounding V10/V12 engines around.

Infrastructure is also lagging and needs to catch up to the demands of electric/autonomous vehicles in order to integrate them safely and seamlessly...they (the powers that be) can barely maintain infrastructure as it is though. Maybe Elon Musk our messiah can save us. Privatize and make efficient all the things. I wanna go to space for vacation, or inhabit another planet under his rule, etc.

Koenigsegg is developing a camless variable ICE that can adjust compression a 1000 times a second or something that will increase power nearly 50% while using 15% less fuel and 35% less emissions. Should be nice for Formula 1, doubtful it will trickle down to us mere mortals any time soon though or fast enough to be relevant before the hostile (to me) takeover of electric.
    Last edited by WGZ; 2017-05-17 at 03:37 AM.

The need for oil isn't going anywhere soon. That said, I do believe electric cars are the way of the future.

Hidden Content - Working on a $1 million portfolio and $30k per year from it.