who feels the same way as I do?

Thread: who feels the same way as I do?

who feels the same way as I do?

I am a retired financial consultant with loads of time on my hand. Feel free to share your financial worries or send me a direct mail for free financial advise. Really boring staying idle for now. who feels this same way?

Can't say the same. Been busy since the day I retired. Its actually worked out well because there are a lot of family and RE issues that I would never have been able to attend to if still working.

Did you not spent some time leading up to retirement thinking about what you'd like to do but havent had the time to do?

Maybe there is an opportunity in the community to do some volunteer financial counselling, families with debt problems and such?
    Last edited by OnlyMyOpinion; 2017-05-14 at 11:23 PM.

I have a friend (well a couple) who I are starting to think about retiring. I've been trying to convince them of how beneficial 'tax positioning' (is that a phrase) is in the last few years of working. For example, being absolutely positive that your tax bracket is going to go down one or two steps - just maxing out your RRSP the last couple years is pretty immediate free-ish money (particularly if we're talking about a large income disparity between spouses). Anyway, they could use a financial consultant.

You should consider volunteering to give low-ish income people (or single parents who are of moderate means) financial advice. unfortunately - that could get a bit boring (b/c saving is generally super boring).

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

The one thing about life is that there is always something to do if you want. You can get involved in clubs, sports, volunteer, family, etc.

You can choose to be bored, or choose to find something to do.
    I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy View Post
    The one thing about life is that there is always something to do if you want. You can get involved in clubs, sports, volunteer, family, etc.

You can choose to be bored, or choose to find something to do.
    I'll take mafiat at face value for now. Assuming that he/she does indeed have some financial expertise to offer, it appears to me that this first post constitutes a step in the direction of finding something to do, i.e., offering advice gratis online.

Quote Originally Posted by mafiat View Post
    I am a retired financial consultant with loads of time on my hand. Feel free to share your financial worries or send me a direct mail for free financial advise. Really boring staying idle for now. who feels this same way?
    I don't often feel bored myself, though I do have a lot of idle time on my hands as well.
    For the most part I appreciate every minute of it, but I do usually find myself eager to get back to work when the time comes. I work for money a week here, a few days there, interspersed with weeks of time off in between.

My journey into semi-retirement was, and is, a gradual process, so I've had the time to slowly introduce other activities over the years.
    Depends on your personality, but for myself I find that activities that are scheduled for a preset time and day of the week every week seem to help to keep up a routine, give you something to look forward to, it's becomes something like showing up for work on monday morning at a job you like, only it's an excercise group, volunteering or whatever.

Recently I've added a weekly meetup at the local legion with an old army buddy over a couple beer and chicken wings.
    Having a dog to walk adds to the routine too. I'm in a few hiking groups and do some volunteering, but some of the retirees I know go to (or teach) yoga classes, tai chi, etc, there is a lot of stuff out there.

Volunteering your financial expertise here is a start; but if you find it's not enough (it's not a routine, as one would have had in working life), you might consider adding something of the above nature in to your weekly schedule.

Just a thought.
    a financial message board can cost you money.
    ^ bmoney, in TPH thread.

post deleted