Criminals used leaked NSA tool in crippling ransomware - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Criminals used leaked NSA tool in crippling ransomware

Super Moderator
    For those of you concerned about computer security (and attacks like this), you should consider using Linux at home.

I use linux on my desktop, and even my mom does too! She's a computer novice but uses Ubuntu, and it's working out well for her. There's an especially strong case to use linux if you're only doing basic things -- email and web browsing.

I'm a gamer, but I'm seriously considering going to Linux next time around rather than windows 10.

A lot of computer gamers are also pretty computer savy and don't like the holes in windows security, combine that with the marketing of your info that W-10 has built in, and it's not exactly loved by everyone.

The gaming industry is starting to adapt to these trends. There are quite a few decent games out there that will run on linux.

Myself, I am starting to get a little tired of have OSs not supported anymore and having to put up with whatever else they're trying to force-feed us and having us pay them for it (Apple has been doing the same thing).

With Linux (I'll probably go Ubuntu too) at least you have some choice, and it's all built open-sourced, by a free community of techie enthusiasts not under the thumb of any shareholders or boards or commitees or CEOs.

And upgrades are free
    a financial message board can cost you money.
    ^ bmoney, in TPH thread.

I'll just keep my Mac for now.
    "What good is money if you can't inspire terror in your fellow man?"- C.M. Burns

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mrPPincer View Post
    And upgrades are free
    macOS upgrades are also free. I'm still rocking a 2011 MacBook Pro with the latest macOS and no reason to upgrade (rather several reasons not to)

This year I built a high end Windows 10 machine to replace a 2008 era PC. You can see the influences from macOS but all the same old Windows glitchyness and annoyances are still there. My work laptop is a high end ThinkPad and the MBP is a pure dream by comparison

I haven't used Ubuntu since school so I might try it on my PC. Linux would probably limit high end hardware though without the Windows drivers
    amat victoria curam

After a certain lifespan, mac OSes also become unsupported, after which you would have to purchase a new one (if your system can handle the req's).

I'm not a mac guy, but I try to help my parents out wit their tec issues.
    Mom has a mac with an unsupported OS. With a ram upgrade she could have a substantially upgraded OS, and I have the ram, but she seems ok with it as is for the moment, she just uses it for emails etc.

For the new OS I'd have to either buy it or download a hacked copy (illegal).

I guess when I said updates I meant upgrades to a better operating system, not your basic day-to-day updates.
    I thought of that after I posted, but didn't bother correcting.

Anyways, my point is, Linux is a different animal from Windows and Mac OS (though it much more closely resembles mac OS), and it's out there completely free of charge.
    ^ bmoney, in TPH thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mrPPincer View Post
    After a certain lifespan, mac OSes also become unsupported, after which you would have to purchase a new one (if your system can handle the req's).

I'm not a mac guy, but I try to help my parents out wit their tec issues.
    macOS upgrades are free. and most +2010 if not 2009 hardware can run it.. min 2GB of ram but more is well worth the small price

The only reason I still keep a Windows machine is for the odd software that Mac doesn't have, but I perceive Linux even worse in that regard

In the future I may just put a Windows boot drive on a Mac machine for the odd time I need it, which is less and less every year
    amat victoria curam

I'll have to look into it furthur then.
    My mom's desktop apple comp has an older OS that can't connect to the apple store.

Thanks m3s.

^ bmoney, in TPH thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12