Moving 200 K from one bank to another.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving 200 K from one bank to another.

Moving 200 K from one bank to another.

Will I get flagged if I move that amount of money from one bank to another? If so, what increments are the best way to move 200K?

Super Moderator
    If you're thinking of FINTRAC and the Bank Secrecy Act in the US, don't worry about it. Presumably this is your account to your account.

Additionally, structuring a transfer specifically to evade the flagging, is itself a crime. Don't try to split up the amount to keep under a limit. Just go ahead with your transfer, assuming that both source & destination account belong to you.

I agree wit j4b. There is nothing sinister about FINTRAC reporting of me-to-me transfers. It is okay to split the amount to be within the electronic limits imposed by your bank. I've moved 6 digit sums in the past, but had to do it $49999 at a time to be within their $50k transfer limit. If you don't have the electronic facility to make the transfer, use a bank draft (seems to be the cheapest way to do it over even a wire transfer). If you use a personal cheque, there will be a 5-10 day hold (between Canadian institutions - much longer from/to ex-Canada institutions).

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Jay are you moving money from equitable?? bank thinking it will be safer? If you are going to have to close out GICs & lose money not sure if it is worth it going from one bad bank to another bad bank anything over CDIC would think of moving.

You can get flagged only if you transfer amount > 10K from abroad

I am moving the money from Peoples Trust to my local bank RBC. Should I just go ahead and transfer the full 200K one time?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
    I am moving the money from Peoples Trust to my local bank RBC. Should I just go ahead and transfer the full 200K one time?
    Of course. It makes no difference whatsoever. Just do it electronically as I suggested previously...if you can.

Super Moderator
    Yup, nothing wrong with such an electronic transfer.

And probably a good move by the way. I'm not a fan of the specialized mortgage trust banks (like Peoples) -- their interest rates don't compensate you nearly enough for the potential trouble you might encounter.

I think that is a little harsh. Just don't keep more than $100k in second (or third) tier institutions.

Super Moderator
    Definitely don't keep more than the CDIC insurance limit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast