Aeroplan - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aeroplan

Super Moderator
    Though we have several years to use these points, I'm concerned that available reward flights will become increasingly difficult to find -- do others share this concern?

A coworker told me that you can actually enrol with any of the Star Alliance rewards programs. He suggests using one of the other points programs, such as ANA's. You would still earn points on any Star Alliance flights, and build up ANA points. Then you'd redeem ANA points for any flight within Star Alliance.

Does anyone do this? I'm not sure we need to use Air Canada-linked points programs at all.

I am not a frequent flyer, but have been an Aeroplan member for years. I think I have only ever exchanged points for flights once. Now I just exchange them regularly for gift cards I can use - usually gas. No worries about "losing" points if they expire.

Good idea. But check to see what the rules are for points expiration.

We are also on the Delta Skymiles program. Their points do not expire. We also get credit for Wesjet flights. We are leaning towards either the RBC Westjet program or the Capital One Aspire World Elite.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by james4beach View Post
    Though we have several years to use these points, I'm concerned that available reward flights will become increasingly difficult to find -- do others share this concern?

A coworker told me that you can actually enrol with any of the Star Alliance rewards programs. He suggests using one of the other points programs, such as ANA's. You would still earn points on any Star Alliance flights, and build up ANA points. Then you'd redeem ANA points for any flight within Star Alliance.

Does anyone do this? I'm not sure we need to use Air Canada-linked points programs at all.
    I share this concern, hence my post up thread. I suspect people may start scrambling to burn through their existing points, esp. in 2019. I'm not at all comforted by AC stating existing Aeroplan points can still be used for AC flights after 2020. Once they launch their own program, just how many seats will be left over for Aeroplan point holders? Pretty much nil, I'm guessing...

I'd be curious to know to what extent existing Aeroplan miles are transferable to another points program w/in the Star Alliance network. I'm not overly savvy on points transfers programs, so any insight would be appreciated.

We have had countless points tickets over the years. I had lots of business travel, hotel, and rental cars that attracted points. Mostly used the points for travel to Europe. If we did have to go to Toronto (we live in the west) we would always go via Charlotte, NC and spend a week or two in the Carolinas. When we redeem points we invariable took advantage of a free stopover or an open jaw. This increased the attractiveness of the plan for us and compensated for some of the plans many drawbacks.

Who knows what the new Aeroplan rules, seat availability, and admin charges will be. The ability to do a stopover an open jaw, or a one way added to the attractiveness of the plan. Increasing difficulty in getting business class seats and increasing, outrageous fees in the form of so called fuel surcharges effectively discounted the program for us.

I only have 48K and DW has 40K remaining in our accounts. Lowest it has ever been since retiring four years ago. Our plan is to get me to 60K. Won't take long with credit card charges, etc. Then we will either redeem one return to Europe or two one ways. Then we bite the bullet, and let the Aeroplan credit card expire in Jan. In the interim we will move to something else. Not about to buy a pig in a poke from Aeroplan. Their track record to date (for us) is very poor. As a long time Aeroplan member I can well understand why their stock is in the toilet.
    Last edited by ian; 2017-05-14 at 09:41 AM.

I get AirMiles points at the liquor stores here ( why -I dont know....we only have the govt-run NLC stores here, no private ones...so it's not like: "gee, i think I'll get my booze from NLC store 'cause they give AirMiles"... we have no choice)
    but anyhoo...I rack up a nice few points on all the wine!!! hic!

There were many reasons why I cancelled Air Miles but one was that the LCBO gives out points for nothing!

The main reason was that their customer service sucks!

We also have not dealt directly with Aeroplan in 10 years. We get our travel agent to do it because they have better access to flights. Once we had to return from NYC a day early and she got us a return flight on points! No way could we have got that from their call centre.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123