Aeroplan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aeroplan

Aeroplan

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle34953823/

"Air Canada said on Thursday it would launch its own loyalty program in 2020, replacing the current program, Aeroplan, which is owned and operated by analytics firm Aimia Inc.

“The new program, launching in 2020, will offer additional earning and redemption opportunities, more personalized service and a better digital experience for Air Canada customers,” Benjamin Smith, president of Air Canada’s passenger airlines business said.

Air Canada’s contract with Aimia will be in effect until June 29, 2020."

What say you?

Hidden Content - Working on a $1 million portfolio and $30k per year from it.

Prompted by my kid, who loves it and piles all spending on it, I got RBC Westjet MC for $99/year. Received $250 Westjet $ (already gone) and a $99/199/299 companion voucher. Aeroplan does not compare.

Whenever Aeroplan tweeks the program it gets worse. Currently, we only use it for local, otherwise high cost flights. Last time we looked at booking an international Aeroplan flight on AC the net cost to us was 60,0000 points each. The net difference in price between the so called free Aeroplan ticket on AC and a regular fare was slightly under $400.

I agree, the RBC Westjet program leaves Aeroplan in the dust. We have been with the plan since the CP/AC merger. Just running keeping few remaining points for short hops in Canada but getting rid of the credit card.

I used to do many business flights on AC. It has really gone down hill. We did nine flights over the winter. The 2 AC flights were by far the worst for condition of plane, comfort of seats, and in flight service. United was a close runner up. Copa Air and Aerolineas are smaller but they both put AC to shame. Clean planes, comfortable seats, good service. Even the budget airline Sky was superior in every way to our AC flight. Not a big fan of Wesjet really but that is where we are headed. Besides, it meshes with our Delta plan.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    ... The 2 AC flights were by far the worst for condition of plane, comfort of seats, and in flight service. United was a close runner up.
    Interesting ... United has almost always been worse than AC, with worse service for me.

Avianca has been great where it was better than either United or AC.

Cheers

It's weird that AC did not have some agreement with Aimia to prohibit this. They used to own it and spun it off.

I think we have enough for 4 short haul flights on our two Aeroplan accounts - should have no problem using these up.

Aimia Inc (from the GM)

"Aimia Inc is sharply lower today, dropping $5.21 or 58.34% to $3.72 and crossing below its 200-day moving average. Over the last five days, shares have lost 57.87% and are down 58.11% for the last year to date. This security has underperformed the S&P TSX by 67.94% during the last year."

Ugh. I know there's a lot of hate out there for both companies, but I've never had an issue w/ AC and prefer to support CDN companies when I can.

I just paid my annual fee for my CIBC Aeroplan Visa... I'm guessing if I cancel my card now, that fee isn't refunded on a prorated basis at all? (doesn't hurt to at least ask )

I can understand why AC is dumping Aeroplan. We currently collect Aeroplan points, we have a balance. When we fly on AC we collect points.
    But we almost never use Aeroplan points for flights on AC.

We typically select United since the admin charge by Aeroplan on AC tickets to Europe, Asia, or SA is anywhere from $225-$275 EACH WAY. We used to avoid this by flying Lufthansa but this loophole was closed. Switching to the Wesjet program, even though we are not big fans, is still preferable to remaining with Aeroplan.

Used to use Aeroplan religiously for a couple decades, then switched to Air Miles for about a dozen years.
    My wife an I traveled at least once a year on points for over 25 years.
    Both programs are now so watered down we changed to a cash back credit card which contributes much more to our cost of travel than either program will now.

Quote Originally Posted by cedebe View Post
    Ugh. I know there's a lot of hate out there for both companies, but I've never had an issue w/ AC and prefer to support CDN companies when I can.

I just paid my annual fee for my CIBC Aeroplan Visa... I'm guessing if I cancel my card now, that fee isn't refunded on a prorated basis at all? (doesn't hurt to at least ask )
    They will continue to award aeroplan points until 2020, and it sounds like you can still use aeroplan point for redemption on AC well after 2020.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast