Aeroplan - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aeroplan

Quote Originally Posted by Parkuser View Post
    Prompted by my kid, who loves it and piles all spending on it, I got RBC Westjet MC for $99/year. Received $250 Westjet $ (already gone) and a $99/199/299 companion voucher. Aeroplan does not compare.
    We did too. Already spent our companion fare last fall.

Love Air Canada, hate Aeroplan. Far prefer Avion and will hit a million points this month. We have a few hundred thousand Aeroplan points just from flights but find it frustrating to book anything with them unless close to 12 months in advance.
    XIC, VTI, XEF, XSB/VAB/GIC LADDER (+ HISA for cash)

I don't understand business. Air Canada once owned Aeroplan; then decided they didn't want to be in the business of running what was (and is) effectively Air Canada's Reward Points Program, so they sold it off as a separate business: now they want to start up a new Rewards Program and ditch their contract with Aeroplan? What the h**l is the business plan here? Unless the new Rewards Program is structured in a substantially different fashion, what's the point? It only makes sense if they make it substantially different than Aeroplan - perhaps focussing more on the "loyalty" aspect, targeting frequent flyers by offering perks and upgrades for such.
    Last edited by OhGreatGuru; 2017-05-11 at 08:17 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Lots of variables that could be affecting this ... not the least of which was whether AC sold of Aeroplan, because they needed the cash instead of wanting to. Changing circumstances as well as possibly management and the effects of dealing with Aimia as other possibilities.

Cheers
    Last edited by Eclectic12; 2017-05-12 at 09:39 AM.

Is it possible that over the long term, Aimia will actually be better off without Air Canada? Only about 20% of their income comes from Air Canada, and most of the complaints around Aeroplan seem to be related to inability to book flights and excess surcharges which make the cost of "free" tickets almost as much as the cost of regular paid tickets from other airlines.
    It seems to me that Aeroplan would be a much better rewards program if the rewards were not restricted to one group of airlines.

Air Canada - are they still in business?

The only program we use is the Wetjet MC with the partner ticket.

We dumped Air Miles last year and will get rid of TD Aeroplan shortly.

I have over a million aeroplan points so I plan to spend them before 2020 , bought 1000 in amazon gift cards last week and we spent all of them like it was Christmas .We also got a flight from buffalo to San juan for 40,000 points plus $13! last year so I highly recommend people check out that route if you have points.It was going to cost us almost $1100 plus same points to fly from Toronto.
    Last edited by marina628; 2017-05-12 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OhGreatGuru View Post
    I don't understand business. Air Canada once owned Aeroplan; then decided they didn't want to be in the business of running what was (and is) effectively Air Canada's Reward Points Program, so they sold it off as a separate business: now they want to start up a new Rewards Program and ditch their contract with Aeroplan? What the h**l is the business plan here? Unless the new Rewards Program is structured in a substantially different fashion, what's the point? It only makes sense if they make it substantially different than Aeroplan - perhaps focussing more on the "loyalty" aspect, targeting frequent flyers by offering perks and upgrades for such.
    I believe that is the direction Air Canada is heading towards, and differentiating it from programs like Air Miles. I suspect they just want to concentrate on the frequent flyers.

I will probably switch to whatever Air Canada comes up with

I don't like rewards credit cards or loyalty programs at all. You pay for them regardless with high merchant fees. You change your shopping habits consciously and/or unconsciously to recoup some of those merchant fees. You then jump through a bunch or hoops to redeem some or to burn them before expiration or devaluation etc etc. They all suck and it's because consumers are easy targets

But I fly a lot for work and Star Alliance is the most common option. I do like the frequent flyer perks and upgrades

amat victoria curam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast