Universal basic income - Page 5
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Universal basic income

Quote Originally Posted by gibor365 View Post
    I personally don't give a shit about it... this is their own problem...

and if you care so much, transfer your income directly to help them
    When young people feel they have no reasonable chance of a life and a future ,they rebel. When you have nothing ,you have nothing to lose. Whether its in Germany and other countries in the 30's or Russia in the 20's or the Middle East
    now this condition leads to internal and external violence.

Last edited by wraphter; 2017-05-12 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mordko View Post
    The solution to everything is to set basic minimal income to $100/h for every hour of the day and night, 7 days a week.

Since $100/hour creates double the wealth of $50/hour, $200/hour would double wealth again.

Yes, there is some mathematics here (which discriminates against females members raised in a male-dominant environment), but take my word for it: $400/hour would double the wealth yet again. And so forth. $4000/hour would increase wealth by another ten-fold. Ideally, the basic minimum income would be infinite, and thus create infinite wealth. And, as a bonus, higher wages mean more tax revenue – and that means even more wealth. The corporate pigs hate guaranteed incomes, but the people vote for it time and again because they know it is right.
    Jeff Bezos has $81 billion. He earned it? Really? How much do the serfs in Amazon's fulfillment centres make. They won't even give them bathroom breaks.

There is more than sufficient wealth in the world. It is the division of the wealth that has always created problems.

The capitalist system is failing and needs to be replaced by a better system.
    Someone planted a tree a long time ago so I can sit in the shade.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

I don't believe that Universal basic income is a good idea in Canada. Whatever government does , at the end gonna screw up people who work.... Although, on the other hand , it may be good for "less fortunate"

I've been pointing to the writing on the wall now for years

The growth of inequality and population will hit a breaking point. Things cannot just continue the way they are as if automation doesn't exist. More youth will be unable to find jobs to pay off student debt, less and less will chose to have kids, next they will stop buying homes. We're going to see more mass migrations and perpetual war as the masses become unhappy. Throw climate change into the mix, regardless of the human impact, and you may want to think long and hard before bringing another child into this world.

Here's a 50min documentary on topic (discusses UBI from 20mins on)

amat victoria curam

Quote Originally Posted by sags View Post
    Nah, that is an old system too and there is no reason to rely on any old systems.

It is time for new systems, designed in a way they serve everyone most effectively and that don't advantage a few.
    In all of human history, capitalism has always had the highest success rate for the greatest percentage of people. Even the unemployable in a capitalist society are taken care of in a manner that provides a better standard of living than communism can give to even the smartest and hardest working people.

One of the by-products of capitalism is that some people may be disproportionally rewarded for their success, but that minor irritation far surpasses the major flaws of every other system where no one but the elite are rewarded. I would rather live in a society where some people earn "too much" than one where no one earns enough (except for a few at the top).

Super Moderator
    I'm re-opening this thread. The off topic part of the thread has been moved to Hot Button.

Please try to stay on topic. Don't attack other forum members.

Quote Originally Posted by james4beach View Post
    I'm re-opening this thread. The off topic part of the thread has been moved to Hot Button.

Please try to stay on topic. Don't attack other forum members.
    if UBI is or every adult then I support..but if it is based on income, then I don't..

UBI for every one: students will get some income to cover their expenses when they are in school and till they find a good paying job.. this way students can only focus on learning and take some risks , which will create new companies..
    seniors can live their last years peacefully without worrying about money..

UBI based on income: you take student loans and go to school.. if you find a good paying job then hey your buddies are in bad shape , we want take some of your income and help your buddies..who may be dropped out of school, who may not want to work etc.. doctors spend almost 10 yrs in school with lot of debt is perfect example..

remove all credits/deductions then UBI for all may not be a bad idea..

Glad the thread has been reopened.

Sags is correct when he said upthread that there is sufficient wealth in the world but the problem is unequal distribution.

I disagree that it is capitalism's fault. It is capitalism that created the abundance that we all enjoy.

It's the will to ensure that every human being has a minimally acceptable standard of living that is missing. Canada has made decent progress towards reducing domestic poverty but we need to do more. If Universal Basic Income achieves it more efficiently then let's give it a try.

We also need to recognize our commitment to alleviate global poverty. We have never achieved our commitment to spend 0.7% of GDP in foreign aid. In 2015 we spent a paltry 0.28%. http://cidpnsi.ca/canadas-foreign-aid-2012-2/

Kevin O'Leary (of all people) suggests that we all give 5% of our personal income to charity. If we did that it might reduce pressure on the government to solve every social issue with taxpayer dollars.
    Last edited by olivaw; 2017-05-19 at 09:09 PM. Reason: added link
    If you have something to say - then say.

The original question of the thread, which seems to have been lost since reopening, was where does the money come from?

Also, wealth distribution will always be unequal, just like work done by multiple people will be unequal.

I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast