Voting with QR scan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voting with QR scan

Voting with QR scan

I today received a proxyvote document urging me to vote. In past when I have voted, I logged in and entered my control number. Sometimes I didn't bother voting.

I have not always had a smartphone, but now that I do, I decided to read the part about scanning the hyroglypics on the document. I had to install a QR/Barcode app on Android phone. That took me about an hour to figure out Actually scanning and voting took about 30sec! Quite slick really.

Anyway,that done, I decided to try out Barcode reading. I tried app on 4 or 5 boxes I had lying around. Some HP inkjet cartridge boxes, Kleenex box, a Honeywell thermostat box and even a beer bought when in USA. The app beeped and read the barcodes, but never connected to the company sites that would have described the product. Just gave a typical DNS error Is there some reason for this? How would I get it to work?

Last edited by agent99; 2017-05-08 at 09:05 PM.

^ Can't you go back to the old-fashion way of voting by computer control #, if you do vote instead of spending another # hours figuring all these gizmos apps. out?
    Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized.-A. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver101 View Post
    ^ Can't you go back to the old-fashion way of voting by computer control #, if you do vote instead of spending another # hours figuring all these gizmos apps. out?
    Now that QR scan app is installed and I know how it works, it only takes a few seconds to scan. It knows who you are, so no need to enter control number. Just vote and you are done. 30 sec at most. So why go back to old way? QR code scan also useful for other uses.

Its the barcode scan that I had no luck with.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by agent99 View Post
    Anyway,that done, I decided to try out Barcode reading. I tried app on 4 or 5 boxes I had lying around. Some HP inkjet cartridge boxes, Kleenex box, a Honeywell thermostat box and even a beer bought when in USA. The app beeped and read the barcodes, but never connected to the company sites that would have described the product. Just gave a typical DNS error Is there some reason for this? How would I get it to work?
    Standard barcodes only contain a number. This number (which your barcode reader returns) will be associated with a product in a store's or companies database. So, usually the number returned will just be meaningless. The barcode app can try and go online and find what the number means, but it more often than not will find nothing.

QR codes are different. They usually contain content or a link to a website where you find what the code means.

ltr

Quote Originally Posted by like_to_retire View Post
    Standard barcodes only contain a number. This number (which your barcode reader returns) will be associated with a product in a store's or companies database. So, usually the number returned will just be meaningless. The barcode app can try and go online and find what the number means, but it more often than not will find nothing.

QR codes are different. They usually contain content or a link to a website where you find what the code means.

ltr
    ... so barcodes is like a UPC thing and QR is a link to website (app- applicable) ... so what's the link between a barcode and QR as far for the purpose of voting proxy as agent99 is attempting? All these alternate methods of voting seems like an overkill to me.
    Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized.-A. Einstein

... so barcodes is like a UPC thing and QR is a link to website (app- applicable) ... so what's the link between a barcode and QR as far for the purpose of voting proxy as agent99 is attempting? All these alternate methods of voting seems like an overkill to me.
    check to see if the QR app supports web lookup?

After further testing I was sometimes able to scan both QRs and Barcodes. But results were not reliable. I tried two apps.

The first would always think it had captured the barcode, but mostly got it wrong. Even when it read the barcode correctly, it was not able to connect to the manufacturer's data.

The second would not in several cases even capture the barcode . But when it did, it did connect to the manufacturer's data.

Barcodes did pull up useful information on an item. For example this is what resulted from entering a barcode on an internet barcode lookup site:

https://www.barcodelookup.com/087295073339
    https://www.barcodelookup.com/885631805961

The QR code on the same box as above HP ink took me to a link to a HP site which is what the box said it would do. In general, the apps worked well with QR.

For barcode reading to work well, the barcode reader app developer likely has to partner with a company offering a barcode database (such as one in links above). For QR, the code just needs to direct to a website page. Perhaps easier to implement.

Can't see using this much, but nice to know how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by agent99 View Post
    After further testing I was sometimes able to scan both QRs and Barcodes. But results were not reliable. I tried two apps.

Can't see using this much, but nice to know how it works.
    Yeah, I use the app called i.nigma . It seems to work OK. It's often recommended as one of the best. I don't use it much, but I have used it a few times to scan a QR Code. The most use I seem to get out of it is to use it as a flashlight (all QR code apps have the ability to turn on the cell phone light).

ltr

Quote Originally Posted by like_to_retire View Post
    Yeah, I use the app called i.nigma . It seems to work OK.
    That was the second one I used. The first was QR Code Reader. Neither much good for barcodes, but both read QR's OK.

Attempting? Hey, I did it And will in future. These days, many of new generation don't even have a computer. They do everything on their phones. This allows them to vote instantly, especially if they also get the documents electronically. No link - the voting docs just have the QR. Just happens the same apps that read QR's can also read barcodes (But not very well it seems).

However, they do send an envelope and you can still mail in your vote

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast