Need a good ETF recommendation

Thread: Need a good ETF recommendation

Need a good ETF recommendation

Hi Guys/Gals,

Was hoping I could tap some recommendations for a good ETF. Here's my scoop so far:

In RRSPs (about 40k):

TD Canadian Index e-series: 16%
    TD US Index e-series: 21%
    TD Intl Index e-series: 10%
    TD Bond e-series: 15%
    CDZ Claymore CDN Div: 30%

I am comfortable with a moderate low bond holdings for now. 10-20% is just fine for me as I'm only 27.
    I like the CDZ for the numbers I see through it (greatly outperforming everything else, mind you it seems like equities just aren't doing much of anything last year or two). However I know that in registered accounts I should be holding long term capital growth...

So I guess what I'm looking for is something with good international exposure (maybe like a 60:40, US:Others) in broad sectors. I was thinking CYH, which would complement my CDZ and diversify my global diversification... but then again it's more dividends in a registered account. Or perhaps dividends aren't a bad thing for my registered account? I normally cap my RRSPs every year, and this year with what overflow I have, I am shoring up my TFSA as cash-emergency account. I have yet to, and don't think I will have the finances available, to do non-registered trading yet.

CDZ has destroyed all my other index funds over the last year or so, so I really like the dividends.

So CDZ, XIN, etc? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Here's a very good place to start ...
    Model Portfolios: http://canadiancouchpotato.com/model-portfolios/

Check out XTR as well. I have $90,000 in there - pretty happy. $20,000 in CDZ as well, and happy enough as well. Monthly payout wise, XTR has done been much better, but CDZ has balanced that somewhat with growth in the value of its holdings.

I was told that holding XTR multi-asset, fund of funds, is not the greatest idea. My RSP portfolio still holds 15% of XTR, and I love the monthly dividend it generates.

I recommend reading this article on allocation, based on your horizon ...
    Building A Target-Date ETF http://www.indexuniverse.com/section...lart=1&start=2

Last edited by dcaron; 2012-05-01 at 03:47 PM.