Meal Expenses

Thread: Meal Expenses

Meal Expenses

I'm finishing up my taxes, I see the Income Tax Act s. 67.1 says:

"Self-employed foot and bicycle couriers and rickshaw drivers can deduct the cost of the extra food and beverages they must consume in a normal working day (8 hours) because of the nature of their work.
    The daily flat rate that can be claimed is*$17.50."

I'm wondering if the hours worked can be cumulative, so working 10 hours in 2 days can allow 1 meal to be expensed??
    Also, if working fulltime, can the daily flat rate be claimed regardless of the actual amount paid for meals?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andyto2 View Post
    I'm finishing up my taxes, I see the Income Tax Act s. 67.1 says:

"Self-employed foot and bicycle couriers and rickshaw drivers can deduct the cost of the extra food and beverages they must consume in a normal working day (8 hours) because of the nature of their work.
    The daily flat rate that can be claimed is*$17.50."

I'm wondering if the hours worked can be cumulative, so working 10 hours in 2 days can allow 1 meal to be expensed??
    I'm pretty sure not; it depends on daily working hours; example- eat breakfast at home, work over lunch, eat supper at home; same thing the next day

Also, if working fulltime, can the daily flat rate be claimed regardless of the actual amount paid for meals? Yes, you can claim 17.50 per meal up to 51 per day without receipts, regardless of what you actually paid

Thanks
    See bold

I would interpret the quote as saying $17.50 is the daily (not per meal) amount. Also, it appears to me that the daily flat fee relates to a full 8-hour work day. If fewer hours are worked in a day it may be appropriate to adjust the daily flat fee proportionately. I guess it all depends on how aggressive one wants to be given the small amount involved.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RussT View Post
    I would interpret the quote as saying $17.50 is the daily (not per meal) amount. Also, it appears to me that the daily flat fee relates to a full 8-hour work day. If fewer hours are worked in a day it may be appropriate to adjust the daily flat fee proportionately. I guess it all depends on how aggressive one wants to be given the small amount involved.
    You're right- $17.50/day; I was thinking of truckers. According to the quote, you must be working full time to claim the $17.50 which would be one meal a day (eat breakfast and dinner at home). If you work part-time, you cannot claim a meal and OP cannot combine part-time hours from different days to make up 8 hours