2017 Great flood of Eastern Ontario/Gatineau - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: 2017 Great flood of Eastern Ontario/Gatineau

Quote Originally Posted by Mukhang pera View Post
    As for the sea here, nothing much to report. Looks to be about the same level. We see the highest levels here when an unusual high tide combines with a southeast gale creating what is oft called a "storm surge". Then you will see the tide flooding areas that seldom see water. My impression of this past winter is that water levels here did not go as high as in some other years. Just not quite the right combination. The highest point on our land is about 280 feet above sea level. We have not had to move up to it yet.

As for sea creatures, quite a few sea cucumbers visible in the clear water around our dock right now. Two days ago we decided to catch some prawns, which we have not bothered to do since last year. But we had no more in the freezer. We set 2 traps about 300 feet from the shore in front of the house, an area that has been productive before. Before returning to the dock we decided to see if we could catch a fish for dinner. My wife got a nice red snapper and a ling cod. I hooked something that broke my line long before it got near the boat. Probably a ling and it got lucky because the monofilament line I was using had come over on the Mayflower. We let the prawn traps soak overnight and pulled in the morning. 7 prawns. Nice big ones, but only 7. Should have been more like 70. And a few box crabs. I hope that's not a sign of how this season will go. When I say "season", we can fish them all year, but we only do so in fair weather and freeze some for the not-so-fair-weather days. I am not really discouraged. Prawns move around. A hot spot today can produce nothing tomorrow. Today fishing at 200 feet will be good, tomorrow they'll be at 300. Like all fishing, patience is required.

We have not gone out for salmon yet this year, but early reports are somewhat promising. Sea lions and dolphins have returned to the area in force and that's a good sign. Orcas are in sight regularly, but no humpbacks for awhile. They seem to move through these waters more in summer. Even that is recent. In our early years here, a humpback sighting was rare.

As for other wildlife, the local rag reported a cougar sighting up near the school a couple of weeks ago. Looking for a taste of élève du printemps I suppose. We have lost one cat and one laying hen since Christmas. Possibly a cougar, but more likely wolves, just not seagoing wolves. We also lost our only rooster. I forgot to lock up the chicken coop one night after they all went inside to roost. Next morning rooster remains were scattered about on the septic field and the ravens were working on them. Not sure what did that. Cougars and wolves usually grab something like that and leave no trace. A mink will drink the blood and come back for more. A raccoon will also return for more and they are pretty obvious. I do not think an owl flew in and dragged the rooster out. So, a bit of a mystery. Same with the cat. A mystery. She had been here 8 years and was a survivor. Even drove off a bald eagle in one encounter. We still have one cat that's been here 9 years and has not become prey.

I am pleased to report that the dozen or so fruit trees planted over the last few years in our orchard all survived what was a cold wet winter (i.e., more so than usual). They are all in blossom right now and the hummingbirds are taking advantage. Our resident bald eagle pair has returned to their nest in a tall fir overlooking the orchard. They have been raising one or 2 young there for as long as we have lived here. We feel rather privileged to have them choose that spot.

So that's a brief report from the faraway western isles.

what a lovely report. One can smell the salt air, see the pink flowering orchard with its spirit eagles perched on high in the fir tree.

sorry about your rooster & your cat, you will replace them?

does not surprise that missus seagoing wolf is an ace fisherman

Quote Originally Posted by humble_pie View Post
    carverman don't u think u should be more careful? you've already been banned once for being such a bad-tempered old rogue & pirate, i'm sure your pm mailbox is plastered with warnings for all the insults you routinely hand out.

insults like the above. Insults like this one below, which whipped up the trouble in this thread:
    HP , maybe YOU are the troublemaker that has whipped up trouble in this thread?
    Last edited by carverman; 2017-05-12 at 06:34 AM.

OK, so I want to partially withdraw my general criticism of City Halls regarding NOT banning development on a flood plain. Yesterday CBC had an interview with a mayor of High River (?), AB. They had the cojones to do just that, ban rebuilding the affected houses after the flood. Will Ottawa or Gatineau City Halls raise to the occasion? Doubt it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by carverman View Post
    The topics again are recent floods and the aftermath of these floods...no friggin' squirrel stories...
    What is interesting about the picture that Olivaw posted - if that is a squirrel - it is wearing a chipmunk fur coat.

Alternatively, I'd suggest it is in fact a chipmunk. Now it does look a bit 'washed up' which could be a result to the recent floods but I'd suggest it is a youngster that perhaps fell from its perch. Unfortunately it is unlikey the parent will take it back in because it now smells 'human'.
    Before that sad prospect results in a flood of tears, rest assured that chipmunks are not endangered.

As to the flooding, the night went well but the flood watch area has been expanded as water levels in Lake Okanagon are at record levels and there is still a lot of snow pack to melt.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyMyOpinion View Post
    Unfortunately it is unlikey the parent will take it back in because it now smells 'human'.
    But only in the flooded areas. Not on a dry land.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...t-human-touch/

Quote Originally Posted by Parkuser View Post
    Yesterday CBC had an interview with a mayor of High River (?), AB. They had the cojones to do just that, ban rebuilding the affected houses after the flood. Will Ottawa or Gatineau City Halls raise to the occasion? Doubt it.
    Saw that as well. But also in much of the province people were allowed to rebuild in the flood planes at their own risk.. so apparently there will be no government compensation if/when it happens again.. Can't imagine their home insurance will be cheap
    amat victoria curam

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyMyOpinion View Post
    What is interesting about the picture that Olivaw posted - if that is a squirrel - it is wearing a chipmunk fur coat.
    Good catch. Chipmunks are part of the squirrel family (Sciuridae) but they are not the same species as ground squirrels and tree squirrels. Carver caught it when he mentioned Chippy the Chipmunk but he deleted that portion of his post after he realized that he was in violation of his private rule about strict topic adherence.

I can't speak to the Gatineau flood of 2017, but I am familiar with the Alberta flood of 2013. I was very proud of the way the people, the city, and the provincial government worked together to see each other through the flood and to rebuild. The Stampede grounds were flooded a mere two weeks before the start of the Calgary Stampede. Water was about three metres deep at the worst and was up to the eighth row of seats in the Saddledome. Contaminated sludge left by the flooding was up to a metre deep in some areas. Despite that, the Calgary Stampede opened on time.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/show-mu...oods-1.1894866

Last edited by olivaw; 2017-05-12 at 04:40 PM.
    If you have something to say - then say.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112